Engine Heat Dissipation

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, as I inched along in traffic over the weekend and watched the blurry heat plumes coming out of the hood vents on my GTS, it got me thinking about the Gen V hood designs. After the substantial venting of the Gen IV hoods, howwell will the new hood fair with such diminutive venting? I can imagine a great deal of waste heat building up. Have the improvements in the cooling system rendered the larger vents unnecessary for the base model? Still a big powerful V10 under there--a potential furnace. What up?

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the draft specs, you can get the six (6) vent hood which is standard on the base car as an option on the SRT version. So, both cars can be had with the bigger venting. The actual specs for the aero advantage of one hood over the other have not ben measured yet, accordilg to SRT.

OP
OP
S

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, okay, I thought the base model had the pseudo smoothy hood. Got it 'backards.' I'd get the vents for sure.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would imagine that either hood would cool about the same if not just the same as silly as that may sound. I can't imagine they would have a hood that would heat soak the engine more then another hood. SRT did their homework on this car.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Special mention was made that in addition to the cooling benefits, the vented hood is designed to reduce undercar pressure that can cause lift.

They also mentioned that the side gills are designed to release more underhood temps than before.

They said that due to the additional HP produced by the car, that addition attention was paid to getting the heat out.

Nobody spoke about what size speakers could fit in the hood vents : >)

I remember in my 03 Vert the heat from the hood vents sent the heat around the A pillar, and directly into the interior of the car. No such issue with the Gen IV improved hoods.

OP
OP
S

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess they would address this issue. It really is amazing how much heat is generated by these V10's. It is definitely the hottest running modern motor I have ever seen, in terms of radiant waste heat. It almost reminds me of my mom's old '58 Lincoln. :lmao:

palindrome

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think with the addition of the engine cover that it would not help heat dissipation. I'm sure they engineered it to keep it cool but makes me wonder.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would imagine that either hood would cool about the same if not just the same as silly as that may sound. I can't imagine they would have a hood that would heat soak the engine more then another hood. SRT did their homework on this car.

So the didn't do their homework on the Gen 3 hoods?
Or exhaust system?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the didn't do their homework on the Gen 3 hoods?
Or exhaust system?

They did but lost the battle with the design guys. I remember a conversation where Dick Winkles had mentioned that they originally wanted the vents at the front of the hood for heat extraction but the design team won the argument with the higher ups. One thing to note is that when the "Stealth Viper" was created the vents were moved to the front of the hood like the GEN IV's. As far as the exhaust goes....They must of had to design it that way for an EPA reason.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edmunds Inside Line has a couple of shots of the front end showing the single vents hood in some detail. Someone did some serious aero work on the shape of those for pulling the air out and channeling the air after wards.

As for underhood heat, I wonder what impact the rerouting of the cooling system within the block will be?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4