Engine lifting points?

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just on my way to take out the engine, and wonder if there is a prefered place to hook the chains when doing the lift?

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP, If there is no lift points provided, take the rocker covers off An remove a head bolt, one on the left rear and one on the right front, use a 3/8 chine and drop the head bolt with a washer through the chain link. You may half to remove the rocker assembles if in the way.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey JP,on the back of the right cyl. head you will find a slotted bracket that will support your chain or hook, on the left front you will use your power steering pump bracket( i know that it is not a very strong bracket but will more than support weight of motor)every viper engine we pull have used those points we havnt lost one yet,besides your car will break the fall
smile.gif

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mines a gen II, maybe the same for gen I? I roped the main engine mount brackets to take most of the weight, and I found 2 threaded holes in the heads (front most drivers side, and rear most passenger side head). These holes go in quite deep, so I found some bolts to fit and used these points to support / steady the lift. See pics. If you want me to check on the thread type of those head holes, let me know!

engine4out.jpg

engineout1.jpg

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey JP, just a thought, when you get that engine back in, lets get together in the summer for a race down the strip? Viper V Viper in Europe is an awesome site; it's only ever happened once before in the UK when I 'torqued' by boyfriend who has a '99 GTS into running against me...guess who won...my '97 came through strong!
wink.gif

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you still have the stock exhaust manifolds on the car then you will find a threaded holein the rear of the passenger side and a threaded hole in the front of the drivers side where you can hook a chain to.The recommened device is a lifting bracket that a bolt will go through and the you can put a chain in the upper part of the bracket.Gen 2 cars have the threaded hole machine into the heads themselves.

OP
OP
J

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a realy cool idea, but it will hurt my pride to beat a girl... :)
We have actually planned a trip to UK this summer, If I can get the sponsors with me, will we be there.
How about safety, don't you need cage and lops etc in UK when doing the Dragstrip?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nadine UK GTS:
Hey JP, just a thought, when you get that engine back in, lets get together in the summer for a race down the strip? Viper V Viper in Europe is an awesome site; it's only ever happened once before in the UK when I 'torqued' by boyfriend who has a '99 GTS into running against me...guess who won...my '97 came through strong!
wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP

Heres the link to the Ten of the Best day at Elvington airfield in York, England. http://www.trackdayplus.com/
The event takes place on Aug 3rd 2003 and was a great success in 2002. So far 4 of us are planning to be there, with 4 vipers, its a great venue with some big horsepower present. If you can get to England on the day, be there, its fast
cool.gif

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jp
Are you still thinking of going to Santapod ? most of the UK drag
events I've seen are fairly relaxed with no need for roll cages or loops, most events you only need a helmet, drivers license and a quick scruitineer by some officials before they let you loose. (Although worth checking before with the organisers if you can make it over, also let us know if you're coming)

OP
OP
J

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be great fun to be there. We already have cage, loops and all needed safety equipment. If well come it will be for one of the events on Santa Pod, the races there is acually counted in our Nordic series! We're aiming for 10.90 without NOS and 9.90 with NOS this year...
Cheers Viper fellows!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang