Engine Ticking

zkenny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my gen 2 RT/10 in May and since I got it home, it has had a noticeable ticking from the engine. I’ve read on here that it can be noisy fuel injectors or something more serious...

It’s normally loudest at lower RPM but today I also heard it at idle. Any suggestions on whether or not I should get this checked out?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That sounds pretty normal to me. Sounds a lot like injectors from what I've heard of them at least. I put a 5.7 Hemi in a 67 Dart with a fiberglass hood with a scoop and that was the first introduction I got to noisy injectors. Most modern cars have engine covers and insulated hoods so you don't hear that, but when you have an open hood that's fairly thin and acts like a drum you get a lot more of that noise.

InTheZoneAC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like normal injectors.

As long as the sound doesnt get considerably louder as you rev it should be fine

You can always test the sound with a stethoscope on each injector. Remove the connector sound should get lower, connect and it'll obviously get louder

And oil pressure being normal is another good indicstor

kssssnake

Enthusiast
Venom Member
Reaction score
Our '94 was noisy when we got it. Just needed oil and filter changed.

Aerguitar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like my low mileage, well maintained 02 R/T. All of the several 4.0 Jeeps I’ve owned all made a similar ticking related to fuel injector noise as confirmed with a stethoscope. Haven’t bothered to put a scope on the viper injectors because I recognize the sound. I just put a full Belanger exhaust on there to compensate. ;)

OP
OP
Z

zkenny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. It does sound consistent across all RPM and no one particular area is louder than the others. Some of the guys on the other forum recommended a heavier oil, so I will try that with the next change. Oil pressure typically looks good, around 45 at idle and right at 60 under load.

Mark Crosby

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Your good my friend. Winter 10w 30, summer 15w 50. Cali weather for that suggestion. Mobile one full synthetic, mopar oil filter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62