Estimate my Vipers damage, accident.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about your car. that hurts deep to see the photos.
I cant help not to think could you have avoided the accident if you had newer tires on the car. that front tire looks very worn. I'm glad you came out OK. Lets hope the insurance company will take good care of you.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tread on the tires looks OK to me assuming the tires were not old tires and hard as a rock. Here is what he said about the accident:
I was travelling about 55mph and had to make a emergency lane change maneuver, at the same time, missing more than one car, and the rear end came out (cold tires, only driving 2 miles, cold night, about 58) and I corrected that and it tried to go the other way and brought it in line once more, then was on the brakes, locking up let off locked up and right before I hit a 13 or 14 inch concrete wall head on I managed to get the car sideways and hit pretty much right on the side

Assuming another car caused the emergency lane change maneuver, I think that he did pretty well considering the road surface was probably cold; his tires were cold; and, it was 58 outside. Also, I assume that the brakes were non ABS so the brake lock up is not unusual in a Gen I or II Viper. Getting the car sideways at the last minute was pretty skillful driving.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The tread on the tires looks OK to me assuming the tires were not old tires and hard as a rock. Here is what he said about the accident:
I was travelling about 55mph and had to make a emergency lane change maneuver, at the same time, missing more than one car, and the rear end came out (cold tires, only driving 2 miles, cold night, about 58) and I corrected that and it tried to go the other way and brought it in line once more, then was on the brakes, locking up let off locked up and right before I hit a 13 or 14 inch concrete wall head on I managed to get the car sideways and hit pretty much right on the side

Assuming another car caused the emergency lane change maneuver, I think that he did pretty well considering the road surface was probably cold; his tires were cold; and, it was 58 outside. Also, I assume that the brakes were non ABS so the brake lock up is not unusual in a Gen I or II Viper. Getting the car sideways at the last minute was pretty skillful driving.

Yeah, if I had abs I think I could have just missed the wall.

Getting it sideways before the impact was my goal as a head on could have been worse for me and my passenger. especially with no airbags.

It reminded me of growing up in MN getting squirrelly in the snow! minus the wall.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To the guys who recommend I contact Jon B, thank you.

Jon gave me some good initial advice on my situation, even though I have not yet joined the VCA.
It was on the top of my list untill last Saturday, when this happened.

Hopefully I will get a hold of the adjuster today, I get the feeling they are not very motivated to get the ball rolling?

Updates to come.

Again, thanks to all who have given advice.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going against the grain here....totalled because it was a salvage car (lower initial value), but completely repairable.

You have a front facia that needs work, rotor, side sill, one wheel, most likely exhaust work. Wheel well can be repaired. Paint and prep. Can't really see the frame, so I don't know what the actual condition that it is in.

I would not try to "total" it, as it may not benefit you to do that. Just a thought.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going against the grain here....totalled because it was a salvage car (lower initial value), but completely repairable.

You have a front facia that needs work, rotor, side sill, one wheel, most likely exhaust work. Wheel well can be repaired. Paint and prep. Can't really see the frame, so I don't know what the actual condition that it is in.

I would not try to "total" it, as it may not benefit you to do that. Just a thought.
My sentiment is that since it's a salvage car to start out with, the best approach would be to total it, but it back for 20% from insurance and use the 80% minus deductible insurance payout to fix it. So it goes from one salvage title to another, but you have 80% of cash to use as follows:

1. Fix the car and add performance upgrades.
2. Sell the parts on the car individually. This might be the better option if you end up with a low true-value from the insurance adjuster. That hood looks great.

The catch is figuring out the true value of a salvaged car. Since you have had it for 2 months or so, your purchase price could be used against you.

Do let us know you purchase price and collision deductible (pm or forum) and we can make more sense of this.

V

Venomiss

Ouch! Keep us posted on what happens and very glad you walked away.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went and took 50 new and much better detailed and revealing pics!

LOTS of pics of behind the wheel, under hood, and frame from lots of angles.

uploading now.

One good slice of news is those spots on the ground are not oil, it is brake fluid.
So a line or something must have broke from hitting the brakes so hard?

Another good sign, I think?, is I can turn the steering wheel and the front wheels do move, the car is off so its obviously hard to turn plus the tire is wedged against the wheel well, but it turns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, I will start loading these pics, They are not in order, but the people who now these cars im sure will be able to tell what they are looking at, I dont even know what I am taking pics of for the most part, sad huh?

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The door looks to be ok!!!

There is NO cracks or anything but a slight scuffing and paint clipped off the front here.......

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This one is after I turned the wheel to the right................

I have a question on this next and last picture...
I guess I have never noticed the smooth tubes sucked in like that, what causes this?

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So with these pics, what do you all think?

The adjuster left a mssg I missed his call, it was not lifted and he said based on what he has seen so far, what I'm showing is all he could have seen as the car was not off the ground let, he says it is around 15,200 so far.

Anyone know about the HRES, is it possible to see if the lip can be replaced, as they are 3 piece rims, if the rest is still true? I doubt the front is, but maybe the rear???

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks as though the frame is not hurt. If so.....see what you can get in used parts.....side sill, fascia, etc. and then see what it looks like on a lift. If it's a salvage car......if you can get the parts within reason....and without frame damage....I'd say fix it.

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks as though the frame is not hurt. If so.....see what you can get in used parts.....side sill, fascia, etc. and then see what it looks like on a lift. If it's a salvage car......if you can get the parts within reason....and without frame damage....I'd say fix it.

Can the front fascia be fixed? the front damage is just cosmetic but the bottom drivers side is a little worse.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Behind the DOT sign on the sidewall of the tire is a row of numbers and you need to read the last 3 or 4 digits

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your intake tube may be distorted because the front end has been forced rearward toward the engine. AKA, it is buckled. It wants to be 10" long, and there is now only 9-1/2". Or to that effect.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion but as a guy who deals with salvage titles from time to time, if you are looking to keep and drive the car and can fix it reasonably...do it. There are more "salvage" Vipers out there than most know. There are a lot of Viper owners that have to have everything perfect and want cars with no stories. Then there are guys like me. We want to drive an awesome car and as long as we want to keep it and drive it ourselves the title is irrelevant. Until resale time. Everyone knows this but there will ALWAYS be a buyer for an awesome car as long as it drives straight and right.You won't get top retail but you know that going in. That being said, I am not talking about train-wrecks that have been half-assed put back together. We all know that Vipers get stuck with salvage titles for apparently small accidents because the parts are so high. A "cosmetic" accident Viper is hard to detect if the work is done right.

Ron

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't see any frame damage in the photos. But the photos don't show the point where the lower A-arm meets the frame. Since your wheel looks misaligned, that would be the first place to look at. I think it might be pinched.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really need to get the wheels off and take some pictures of the entire wheel suspension each at one time. It looks like you are jamming the camera in the wheel wells with the wheel still on, resulting in great closeups of really not entirely useful stuff.

Wheels off, back away a bit...

OP
OP
P

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't see any frame damage in the photos. But the photos don't show the point where the lower A-arm meets the frame. Since your wheel looks misaligned, that would be the first place to look at. I think it might be pinched.

Avip, Nope, checked the car out more, and it is not kinked/pinched where you mentioned. Looks to have escaped frame damage!

Now sourcing parts and what not.