European Vipers?? What is the difference?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are the differences between NA Vipers and the European Viper? I had heard that they were detuned slightly for the european market. If this is true, what did DC do to detune them?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, in the air box, a kind of a plastic sheet reducing the open cross section

OP
OP
L

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you do anything to your PCM or have you left it stock? If you had it reprogrammed who did it or did you just source a different PCM?
I have a friend who just bought a European version and we're trying to squeeze all we can outta it, without any major mods. We are trying to get it back to the NA spec.
Any other info would be great. Thanks for all your help so far!
TJ

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
havent heard of person in our club swapping the ECU for the few extra hp gains, they were mainly restricted to meet quiter noise regulations. The OE cats are also very restrictive.

Is your friends car a red GTS with white vinyl stripes and sean ali roe rear wing, painted silver wheels by any chance ? :smirk: beleive the air restrictor has been already removed from that one, and its not running OE cats :)

if it is, this is the same car on UK soil, before the wing went on, I bet your friends headlights are still pointing the wrong way
53.jpg

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep I helped fit them, when I say helped I mean lots of pointing and drinking
beer :D

these is the actual back section thats currently on the car, pic just before it was fitted
190exhaust2.jpg

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Neil, this was Phillip's car. We just got it here in MN a few weeks ago. It's the second snake in the stable and all is well with it so far. Thanks for helping PB get that exhaust put on. Also find it pretty funny that this car holds two records. One for the fastest ever trailer pull or caravan pull and the fastest car driven by a blind man.

Good stuff per PB. :headbang:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2nd snake :2tu:
yep, I think I've magazine articles on both stashed away. Your car was in the Guiness book of world records! it held the fastest top speed caravan tow for several years just been beaten recently by a Ford ****** Cosworth and the fastest speed acheived by a blind driver ! not sure if it still holds that record.

these records were attained before Phil had the car, links to reports below

You must be registered for see images

http://media.chrysler.co.uk/releases/rel_arc_98/081098chr.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/458257.stm

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would i be able to tell if the pCM is limited to a lower amount of horsepower than US versions? I know that Phil said when he supercharged it for a short while, he couldnt get it running the way he wanted to. Could it possibly be this PCM causing the problem? How was it power wise in comparison to your car Neil? Have you had yours dynoed?

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil:

Thanks so much for posting those two links. If you know of any other history or tidbits on the GTS, please let me know. If you have any print material you would like to copy or send, please let me know too! :2tu:

PHILIP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neill, You mentioned about the headlights pointing the wrong way, is there a simple adjustment that can be done to cange the direction of the lights?

PHILIP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil, You mentioned about the headlights pointing the wrong way, is there a simple adjustment that can be done to change the direction of the lights?

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoaa GTS i've some articles and newspaper clippings, PM your email or fax number if you have one and i'll send them over

PHILIP how's Tom's venom GTS going, he seems to be getting a lot of media attention, something a bit different from the normal over there, ashame he's returning back the UK for you I guess, but great for us ! cant wait to have him back in the fold

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have talked to several dealerships about trying to trace back if the pcm is a euro spec or not and they cant seem to tell me anything. the car appears to have the front airbox cut a little, I'm assuming this is for the air-box restrictor. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do now? Can I swap out a used PCM from a number of years or must it be a 98? Can the pcm be reset?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the PCM of my 99 GTS (European) against a US PCM in 2001/2002. Shift light came on now!

A year later my DC dealer re-programmed the 99-PCM with the newest US-software version available. Switched back to the EU-PCM (and the shift light went away again!).

Never encountered any probs.

Changing or reprogramming the PCM (within the Generation?) shouldn´t hurt.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was your car a 400hp euro viper or did you ever have it dynoed? once you got the pcm reprogrammed with the new software was there more power? I just bought a vec1, but i would like to dyno it as it sits, then put in a fellow members 98 us pcm and see if there is a difference and then add in the vec and dyno.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 GTS was a EURO Viper.

The difference between the EURO Viper and "afterwards" was huge. I changed not only to the US-PCM but removed the air restriktor and put on smooth tubes, race cats and the Corsa 3".

Changing back to the re-programmed EURO-PCM didnt hurt.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marcus, what do you mean 'shift light'?? you mean check light right?

The check light would stayed on because you didnt have US rear 02 sensors (euro cars dont have rear O2 sensors) but the light would have gone off if you installed a simms kit

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1-4 gear shift light!

With the EURO-PCM I did not had the shift light.
As soon as I put the US-PCM in the shift light was there.

I installed the back O2-Sensors!

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperGTS, where are you located in Switzerland? I'm coming over there next month. I'll be about 1 hour south of Zurich near Saragns. I'm going there on business but will have Saturday off. I plan to hang out in Zurich that day. If you live nearby maybe we can hook up. Sadly, my snake won't be there. :(

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BatBoy: I would like to meet with you, however, I am sorry I do not live in Switzerland. I am Bavarian (Munich area) and a member of the Swiss VCA.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another note:

The part numbers for the Engine Controller Module are:
4848 924AA (US)
4848 925AA (Export)

Source = 1999 VIPER (SR) Mopar Catalog

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members