Evans Coolant

miamispd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone using Evans coolant?

Thinking about changing to Evans. I have heard that it works real well.

Need feed back.

Thanks

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard good things about Evans coolant as well on other car forums, just not here - not sure why.

It is expensive for initial cost, but since it never needs to be replaced, it costs less in the end.
It supposedly runs cooler and does not need to be pressurized.

I have seriously considered replacing my fluid with it but have not heard any Viper owners using it.
Maybe Viper guys just like spending money and changing fluids :dunno:
:lmao:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I can't be much help, but I did run it in my Paxton SRT-10 with wet liners for about a year.

First, you have to drain the block and flush it, let it dry (eliminate all of the water) then pour in the Evans Cool. It does take a 17 lb pressure cap, which is stock on our cars, so no problems. It also has a much higher boiling point than normal coolant and is supposed to all but eliminate rust. It is very expensive compared to ther coolants.

I had cooling system issues that I thought were caused by the Evans Cool as my coolant temperatures became quite a bit higher after its installation. I installed a new larger radiator, a new oil cooler, had DC turn my fan on earlier, then I later found that the new thermostat that was installed during the coolant change was not opening all the way, ARGH!

I went back to normal "orange" coolant" with two pints of "super cool" rust resistant coolant additive after replacing the thermostat and all is now very good.

I would probably not switch back to it due to its cost and little if any perceived additional benefit.

Dan

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Evans system uses 100% glycol (forgot if propylene or ethylene). Glycol is a poorer heat transfer agent than water. However, it has a higher boiling point and I think part of the Evans system is controlled boiling. A phase change provides a very high heat transfer rate.

I would want to ask the Evans people what they say about corrosion protection.

Regarding future fluid changes - there are now "lifetime" coolants that don't need changing. Even so, the more typical modern coolant is 5 years/150,000 miles.

I admit to not having studied it enough to provide a real technical opinion, but be aware that some tracks do not allow glycol in the cooling system. If spilled in an accident or engine failure, glycol is slippery and difficult to clean up. You will want to call around to any track events to see what their policy is before deciding what to do.

cobraman484

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't use Evans in my viper but I have been running it in my cobra for about eight to ten years. I run a 427 punched out to 484 with fuel injection. I have had no heating problems since I have been using it. The radiator is a 3 inch aluminium griffen and I only use a 4# cap. My engine compartment is small and there is not much room for heat dissipation. In the heat of the summer when I stop to fuel up the motor is like a heat sink, buy the time I get back in and start it the temp. can up 230, it usually runs between 180-190 in the summer.

To my knowledge Evans has a boiling point of 370 degrees at 0 pounds pressure and as far as changing over you don't have to let the block dry out. It is best to flush it with water and what little water is left in there will boil out eventually. Just check the coolant after a while and top it off.

The coolant will last forever. I have had my engine out three or four times since I have been using it and always saved it and reused it . I did put new Evans in last year the only reason that I did was that a friend of mine had six gallons left over from a project he was doing and did not need it anymore and sold me the six gallons fo $25 the stuff cost $25 to $30 a gallon and you dont mix it.
Evans coolant is purple but after it is run for a while it will look like oil. A friend of mine used it in his blown *****'s and when he saw the color of the coolant called and told me he had to pull the engine out he thought he had blown something.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960