Ever have the feeling that your Viper just isn't as "Snappy" as it was before ??

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever have the feeling that your Viper just isn\'t as \"Snappy\" as it was before ??

Ever have the feeling that your Viper just isn't as "Snappy" as it was before ?? I've been getting that feeling the last couple weeks, and at first I thought it might just be me, but when I get on it really hard I can only catch rubber in 1st, and 2nd gear. I tried, but I can't seem to chirp'em into 3rd anymore
crying.gif
I'm assuming everyone else here can get rubber in third,....... Am I right ?? My car is a bone Stock '96 GTS other than the K&N filters. Please help, I'm trying to keep Michelin in business !!
tongue.gif

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Ever have the feeling that your Viper just isn\'t as \"Snappy\" as it was before ??

It might be the weather -- when it's hot you will have less power and more traction. It might also be your plugs & wires -- when was the last time you changed them?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Ever have the feeling that your Viper just isn\'t as \"Snappy\" as it was before ??

Ben's right. How old are the plugs and wires? Less than $100 - talk about an affordable upgrade. Call Chuck Tator for the wires and get the plugs at any auto store.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan,

Ditto on the plugs and wires, and perhaps your K&N's need cleaning? Plus the obvious problem..."Bone Stock"!
supergrin.gif

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think i'll take your advice on the Plugs and Wires. How can I get in touch with Chuck Tator ?? Also, After I reverse wash out the K & N's, what's the deal with oiling them ?? How's that done properly, and with what type ?? Sorry for the stupid question, but I didn't buy the Filters, and therefore I don't have any instructions with'em. Anything else I should check into ??

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The K&Ns require a soaking with their oil to filter properly. Go to Pep Boys or other auto shop that sells K&Ns and they'll have the filter recharger kit.

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh yeah, As far as the weather being a factor.........They should build a drag strip here in Duluth !!!! It's Always cool here, and pretty darn close to sea level. Living right next to Lake Superior which has an average temp of 33 degrees, keeps the air rather cool around here even in the summertime. Last night it was 50 degrees outside in the middle of August !! I'm really starting to depress myself again talking about it. I think it's time to get the snowplow out and warm it up. One more month of Viper driving with the heat cranked up.........I HATE SNOW !!!

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JH23JOB,

3.55's will tie you over for a while.......

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:
I think i'll take your advice on the Plugs and Wires. How can I get in touch with Chuck Tator ??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Site sponsor...

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 914-763-3136

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies. I'm all over it.... I'm gonna get those 3.55's for some neck snapping fun. Gotta love it when you give rides, and the back of the passengers head is bouncing off the headrest as your accelerating. Now that's cool !!

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Synchronize the throttle cables, maybe?

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

check plugs, wires, air filters, and throttle cable. throttle cable tend to stretch over time. might not be getting 100 % throttle body opening, when peddle is on the floor.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you have floor mats make sure they are not bunching up under the throttle pedal. Have someone look into throttle bodies to make sure they are opening up full with throttle depressed.
Nothing wakes up a Viper like a rear gear.
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did the 96 GTS have individual throttles? I thought that was just the GenI which would be a 96 RT/10.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">1996 GTS's have only one throttle cable, just like all other GENII's</FONT f>

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Clean out the Fuel Injectors. I did this last oil change and wow.

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cleaqn out fuel injectors? Is there a better way to do that than to just add Fuel Injector cleaner to the gas tank ??

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got mine done at Jiffy Lube. They did the cleaning at the Throttle Bodies, added fuel injector cleaner to gas tank after they were done.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:
Jiffy Lube ??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buy a can of Throttle Body and Fuel Injection cleaner. Cost is about 2,99 This is where garages make money... Just have someone step on throttle when engine isn't running to open throttle bodies and spray generously into throttle boddies. You'll see LOTS of black junk come off of inside of t.b.'s , Then also do this WHILE the car is running, then it will get back into the injectors. Takes about 3 minutes and a full can or two of cleaner..

Gerald

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

...and, one can wonder if it isn't about time to change the fuel filter on a 96.

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmm.. Fuel filter too. That sounds like a good plan as well. I really do need to get a service manual for this GTS so I can dive right into it. I'm also gonna clean the TB's and injectors. On the 7th of September, I'm going to my first <FONT size="-2">legal</FONT s> drag race so I can get an accurate base line before I jump into any mods. Any ideas what it should run ??