Ever heard of this??

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got some new Kumhos for my '02 RT/10 and had them installed this AM at Goodyear. They estimated the install time for 4 tires at around 40 minutes. Over 2 hours later the car was finally done, and the manager said "Oh, by the way..... we couldn't balance the rear tires. They were too wide for the machine." WHAT???? :mad: He said, "it's no big deal, you may just have a little extra vibration while driving. It is totally safe."

Now I have to try to find somewhere else to have the tires balanced. I haven't noticed any vibration yet, but I haven't taken the car over 55mph.

Has anyone else ever had this kind of problem before?? :dunno:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got some new Kumhos for my '02 RT/10 and had them installed this AM at Goodyear. They estimated the install time for 4 tires at around 40 minutes. Over 2 hours later the car was finally done, and the manager said "Oh, by the way..... we couldn't balance the rear tires. They were too wide for the machine." WHAT???? :mad: He said, "it's no big deal, you may just have a little extra vibration while driving. It is totally safe."

Now I have to try to find somewhere else to have the tires balanced. I haven't noticed any vibration yet, but I haven't taken the car over 55mph.

Never heard of such a thing. If this was truly an issue, they should have told you in advance.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having been in the auto repair business it is possible that their balancer couldn't handle the width/offset of the rim. Rare nowadays but it can happen.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They wouldn't know the wheel/tire was too large for their balancing machine until after they mounted the tire and then carried it over to the balancer.

It would have been nice if they suspected it wouldn't fit and tried it as soon as it was removed from the car, but instead they started taking the old tire off the wheel because that is what they are used to doing.

It's too bad there's not more Vipers out there for tire shops to get experience with.

On the other hand, they may have well known that the rears wouldn't fit on the balancer and they weren't willing to lose the sale so they kept that detail to themselves.

Last edited:

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Go to your local Discount Tire Dealer, they can do it for you no problem :2tu: I got my last set there at a great deal with lifetme balancing :D

mikecronis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd often have problems with balancing my 315s on my TransAm Firehawk (I'm still looking forward to owning a Viper if I can just find a dealership in Colorado that has ONE)..

Anyway, it'd usually take 5 to 6 tries before the tires were balanced correctly. I'd get harmonic vibration at 60, 90, 105, and 115 mph. Discount Tire said they only calibrated to 30 mph. Eventually they staggered the weights horizontal to the rim to balance it correctly.

Anytime I'd get new tires, it was a very common occurrence to go 5 or 6 times before anyone ever got it right.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand the 2 hrs, especially if they don't have a $15k tire changer. It takes a little extra care/attachments to mount a deep wheel/low profile tire and not do any cosmetic damage. The balancing issue I disagree with. Even inexpensive balancers can accomodate wheels up to 15+" wide with positive offsets. It depends on how they use the mounting cones. If they could do the mounting, they should've been able to do the balancing IMO.
Find some place to balance them. It will def. make a difference

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago in my off road career to ask about the equipment well before I show up with tire and wheels. I used what is still known as the VW wide five pattern (205 mm), and most shops did not have the cone to handle the huge hole in the center of the wheel. Had to take the wheels to a truck tire place, but I did know that up front when getting wheel service done.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yesterday Discount Tire mounted and balanced my four PS 2's for $104 including tax and old tire disposal.

By the way, what a great street tire, the diffirence in everything from ride to handling is day and night from the old stock PS's.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The story that I remember in my case was that the installer couldn't do the Road Force balance with his Hunter machine because of the rear wheel width. I don't remember if it was just because he didn't have the necessary optional pieces..

He did a "regular" balance and it was just fine.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, this is true..I had this happen at wheel America getting a small curb rash repaired.. Had to take the wheel to another shop to balance.. Not a big deal..