Excessive Oil Consumption?

laszmann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At the 1,900 mile mark I have had to add 3 quarts of oil. Does this seem to be out of line with the experience of other Gen V owners?

As far as the obvious question goes, no it is not leaking. First 500 miles were driven as owner's manual suggests. The next 1,400 miles were driven moderately but not excessive.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm. I am at 2500 miles, I had my oil changed at 1400. I need to pull the dipstick to check.

Seems a bit high, I think "normal" from other older gens seems to be 1q every 3k miles.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that scenario repeats and it started out full you have a problem. Be careful on reading the dipstick, check both sides.

At the 1,900 mile mark I have had to add 3 quarts of oil. Does this seem to be out of line with the experience of other Gen V owners?
Zgg
As far as the obvious question goes, no it is not leaking. First 500 miles were driven as owner's manual suggests. The next 1,400 miles were driven moderately but not excessive.

Last edited:

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Gen IV just rebuilt at Arrow (just to upgrade to forged internals) and it had similar consumption until my last track weekend. Now it appears to no longer consume. Took a few hard sessions to seat the rings I guess.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't down any at 1500 miles. Maybe down 1/2 quart after the next 3000 miles. 3 quarts is definitely excessive. Did you confirm it was completely full when brand new? Just in case it started out low.

Tony

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't down any at 1500 miles. Maybe down 1/2 quart after the next 3000 miles. 3 quarts is definitely excessive. Did you confirm it was completely full when brand new? Just in case it started out low.

Tony
My grandfather always yelled at me to check my oil everytime I fill my car up with gas. Need to get back into that habit.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking something else is going on (low oil to begin with or a mis-read on the dipstick).

I don't think you can put 3 quarts of oil through the cars motor in under 2000 miles without sensors getting fouled and check engine lights coming on. I'd bet you're ok, just make sure you top it off and drive the car another 500 miles and re-check the level.

If any doubt, take it to the dealer so if there is a problem is gets documented.

Good luck,
George

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, with one exceotion, change the oil instead of topping it off. Now, all bases are covered.

I'm thinking something else is going on (low oil to begin with or a mis-read on the dipstick).

I don't think you can put 3 quarts of oil through the cars motor in under 2000 miles without sensors getting fouled and check engine lights coming on. I'd bet you're ok, just make sure you top it off and drive the car another 500 miles and re-check the level.

If any doubt, take it to the dealer so if there is a problem is gets documented.

Good luck,
George

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our cars are not equipped with a low oil light of any kind. Do not rely on a check engine light to warn you. I did read that there is a low oil pressure light, but all that might tell you is that it's already too late, if it comes on at all.

Again, get it documented at your dealer so if it continues you will have everything lined up for a quicker resolution.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our cars are not equipped with a low oil light of any kind. Do not rely on a check engine light to warn you. I did read that there is a low oil pressure light, but all that might tell you is that it's already too late, if it comes on at all.

Again, get it documented at your dealer so if it continues you will have everything lined up for a quicker resolution.

Agree that it's too late if you see the low oil pressure light, etc. But I do think if you put that much oil through the combustion chamber you'll foul O2 sensors, cats, etc very quickly and you will throw a CEL type light stating such. So since the OP did not report any sort of CEL, I'm thinking the oil did not go through the motor. Even at 1 quart per 500 miles, I'd think you'd be seeing some blue smoke out the exhaust pipes.

George

OP
OP
L

laszmann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The oil was full at zero miles. It was down two quarts at approximately 1000 miles and another quart by 1900. I am getting close to storing it for this winter so the oil will be changed soon. No smoke has been observed and the exhausts have no oily residue.

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Change the oil now Run the car another 500-1000 miles Before you put it away for the winter. If you have a problem, you can get it addressed now, during the winter, not next spring when you want to drive it. It may be down several months if the motor needs to be replaced under warranty. Mine was. (Gen -2) Had a similar problem when new, after the first summer, had the motor pulled and sent to Arrow Racing under warranty. Came back stronger than new and was ready for the spring!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your oil pressure, my car has the following pressure during normal driving when the oil and coolant temp are 185-195:

Idle: 37-45 psi
Above 2000 rpm: 70-80 psi.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Neither my GEN1 that I just sold, nor my 98' GTS ever consume any oil. But my wife's 300C eats up a quart every 1000 miles due to bad valve stem seals, though it doesn't show out the pipes. 3 quarts seems high. Change then check every 500 miles.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was at my dealer a couple weeks ago (for a car show). In speaking to the Viper tech there (who services my 03 and my 07 SRT8 Charger), he mentioned that they were dealing with a customer's Gen V (not purchased there) which as waaay down on oil, with only a coupl thousand miles. They think it might have been delivered low from the factory (they hope) and the proper PPI was not done at the selling dealer. At any rate, he said that SRT required them to send an oil sample back to the factory, and monitor.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Definitely take it in to the dealer. It's much better to be safe than sorry.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '97 was consuming excessive amount of oil. Never saw any smoke. That combined with a vibration prompted a trip to Arrow Racing. Found glazed piston cylinders and rod bearings down to the copper.

Good advise about taking care of it in the winter. I have lost an entire season of driving.