Exhaust help needed 911

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Guys...

What I feared the most has just happened.

In the last year that I have installed off-road exhaust on my car, I have suffered from "noise induced hearing loss." Not severe, but at this rate I'll be wearing a hearing aid in 2 years. I have hearing loss in my family history and therefore more prone to suffering it.

As of today, I drive my car with earplugs but I cannot continue this.

Not even stock exhaust will do. I want the exhaust out the back, no matter how ugly it will look.

Question is, do you know of any kits available?? I can always go to my muffler shop and fabricate one, but I'd rather deal with someone that has done it before.

It is either this or I am selling the snake for a Porsche 997. I don't want to do it, I am sincerely depressed about the diagnostic and the reality of having to sell my Viper.

any help will be highly appreciated.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't hear anything over 10KHz....

Mines from years of abuse. Not the Viper.

Age, racecars, race engines, loud music have just taken their toll.

I'll keep the Viper. What I can't hear, I can feel.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there isn't a kit available that I'm aware of. You'd have to fabricate it, which wouldn't be hard. The Euro Vipers come with rear exhaust and they cover the side exhaust hole with some sort of mesh. looks like crap....probably sounds good though

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll go the the muffler shop next week and I'll see what I can do. My first reaction was "I have to sell" but now I am set on keeping the car until I've exhausted all options.

How do your think those tips would look in black?? my car is black so they may blend in ver nice. I can also put some Dynamat extreme all over the bulkhead and that would help some more.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This actually shouldn't be difficult at all. If you have 3" right now, instead of turning them out of the sills, turn them in and then run them out the back. I haven't actually looked at that area of the car with an eye to doing this, but it should be pretty easy to get a couple of 3" pipes snaked back there.

I would leave my mufflers in the sills and just run pipes out the back. Only use 3" mandrel bent stainless (oval is available in case you need it). Use rubber mounts to isolate your pipes.

If it were me I would take it to a hot rod or another shop capable of high-end aluminum fab, because I would redo the backs of my sills to make it look completely seamless---like Gen II rear exhaust sills. I don't know how capable your local muffler shop is, but I wouldn't let someone run 2.5" squish bent crap on my car.

www.burnsstainless.com

www.drgas.com

Check out those sites so you can get a feel for the bends and shapes available.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you want the dual four tip exhaust like the one shown above on the red SRT or would you prefer to use a dual two tip exhaust? I did the four tip on a black SRT to give you an idea of what yours would look like. If you want to see two tip, let me know and I can do that as well.

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Austin that was very nice of you, thank you. I wish my car was as low as that one!

Yes, my muffler shop is very good and they even have a mandrel bender that works of course on 3" pipes.

Now as far as custom making the side sill... I'll settle for home depot SS mesh. :)

I don't really care for the chrome tips, I was thinking of doing just two big, oval tips painted in matte black so that they are as inconspicuous as possible...

We'll see, I am definitely doing this next week. Will post pics.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys...

In the last year that I have installed off-road exhaust on my car, I have suffered from "noise induced hearing loss." Not severe, but at this rate I'll be wearing a hearing aid in 2 years. I have hearing loss in my family history and therefore more prone to suffering it.

Back to your first post...After a few months of the 3" corsa track and 3" offroad pipes, my left ear started hurting. Doctor said it was all red and inflamed inside. When one of my corsa mufflers failed I replaced them with a few different mufflers. It didn't quite have the I'M GONNA KICK YOUR A$$ sound, but my ear stopped hurting.

Your not the only one :crazy:

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
What mufflers are those?? As I've told you before I have 6" diameter, 32" long MAGNAFLOW. They were the biggest I could find.

Overall, what are the quietest mufflers we can fit?

I had my audiometry done today, and it is consistent with prolonged exposure to loud noises. I just turned 33, this is NOT normal...

I didn't realize how much I love my car until I was faced with the possibility of having to get rid of it!

Guys...

Back to your first post...After a few months of the 3" corsa track and 3" offroad pipes, my left ear started hurting. Doctor said it was all red and inflamed inside. When one of my corsa mufflers failed I replaced them with a few different mufflers. It didn't quite have the I'M GONNA KICK YOUR A$$ sound, but my ear stopped hurting.

Your not the only one :crazy:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
awww man... is this what I have to look forward to in my old age? ;)

Seriously though, thanks for sharing your dilemma zorro... most people don't think twice about hearing loss, especially while they're enjoying their snake. My Viper is extra loud. It doesn't bother my ears. Yet. Might consider quieting it down a bit in a year or so.

wartornwarhorse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, after being in the USAF on the flight line with F4 Phantoms and 105 Thunderchiefs for about 4 years, and being a high power rifle shooter, their aint a whole lot left for me, hearing wise. Hell I have alarm bells going in my ears full time, and I barely notice it.

However, I can still enjoy the sound of my dear Viper under full throttle, O what a sweet sound. Infact, mine is bone stock and I want to put louder pipes on, so I can hear it better.. I am 48 and I figure what the hell nobody listens to me no more anyhow, might as well enjoy those Viper moments. My cat is the only one who has anything important to say anymore, the rest I don't even want to hear! har har.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to hear about your problem Zorro. Ive gone through this hearing loss problem long before I had a Viper. I wear hearing aids but I sure take them out when I drive the Viper. I am about to dump the hearing aids for I am like my 92 year old mother "I hear what I want to hear."

Zorro I may have this wrong but were you involved in some type of racing like motorcycle racing.

Dont think you will run into any problems having this done to your Viper especially since you have a good exhaust shop.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
However, I can still enjoy the sound of my dear Viper under full throttle, O what a sweet sound. Infact, mine is bone stock and I want to put louder pipes on, so I can hear it better..

Put exhaust on it and it will be loud, will wake it up. Put exhaust on and remove the cats, it will be REALLY loud. I love the sound,but am starting to worry too. I guess I dont really need my hearing,just my eye sight. :bonker:

OP
OP
Z

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Hiss... I raced Enduro 10 years ago, and I check my hearing about once a year.

Only after I installed th off road exhaust on the SRT I noticed my ears would hurt after driving it. Not just me, but any passenger.

I installed the VORTEX cones and it helped quite a bit, but I guess not enough. Because this decrease in my hearing only happened in the last year.

I've ordered 2x 3"round to Oval transitions that I will use as tips, will hide them inside the bumper and paint them matte black.

I'll also install dynamat extreme in the bulkhead this weekend.