Exhaust popping noise?

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed today that my exhaust is making a fairly soft, quiet "pop" every 10 seconds or so when at idle or very low RPM. Car otherwise appears to be running fine. Anyone have any insight into what this might be?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
might have a little bit of unburnt fuel in the exhaust, then all it takes is a real small exhaust leak to let in a little oxygen....... pop

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figures. Canadians need to stick together.

However, I have it from an excellent source that the Viper muffler bearings are of lifetime qualty and unlikely to cause this popping. More likely the warp drive disengaging during decel manuevers.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my car pops too when i let off the gas at about 3k RPMS with my new headers, cats and cat back. you guys are saying that its NOT normal?

OP
OP
C

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has always popped when decelerating in gear at around 2000 rpm or so, but I noticed this idle popping yesterday for the first time. The weirdest thing is, it didn't do it this morning.
Could it be a fuel quality issue? I filled it up with gas at a station up in the North Georgia mountains a couple of days ago.

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just pulled in and my 2000 GTS, for the first time, is popping out of the driver side exhaust 10-20 seconds apart. Drove it all day and it didn't do it. Plugs have a few thousand miles on them, the entire exhaust was just re-done. Odd, I'll have to see if it does it tomorrow.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Popping is from unburnt fuel in the exhaust. The most common cause would be plugs or plug wires. For an NA car that be where you search, if nitrous or sc, it gets more complicated. Pull all the plugs to assess the problem.