Exhaust Questions.....

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,
Your help is appreciated. I've got a 2002 RT/10 and I want to hear my V10. What's the difference between the different cat back exhausts (Corsa, Borla....) Is there a difference in performance, quality of materials, sound or fit to the car? Also which system does Chrysler sell internally? :confused:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my 99 it already had a Corsa cat back system on it. The previous owner said he wanted to hear the exhaust without it being obnoxious. With a nice, deep rumble the sound level is right where I like it to be and it apparently doesn't disturb the neighbors when I go out cruising at midnight.

Someone said the stock exhaust sounds like a UPS truck, although I'm not going to switch it back to find out.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with RoadiJeff....I had the stock "UPS Truck" exhaust on my car when I bought it. Put the Corsa on last summer, and I love the sound of it. It's aggressive without being obnoxious, fixes the droning of the stock system, and it looks great. The corsa is all stainless, comes with a lifetime warranty, and fitment was fantastic.

If you can get away with it, when you replace your exhaust, replace your stock cats with hi-flow units. They will cool the sills down and will add to the music. ;)

94yellow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put ROE hi flow cats and race mufflers on my 94 all stainless. Terrific
sound, Roe will make the pipe between cats and muffler to lenght you want, very helpfull all for around $700 for side exhaust.

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard heard most of them, and this is just MY opinion. The Borlas had a big block sound, but to raspy for me. The Corsa sounds like a power boat, nice, but a power boat. The B & B's (my choice) have a exotic car sound. Of course with/without cats is going to affect some, mostly volume.

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. The stock exhaust just didn't do justice to the V10. I put the Corsa on my Viper. Sound is awesome, especially when driving through a tunnel or long underpass. You can hear the exhaust system on a Viper at www.corsaperf.com and it sounds pretty true to life.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put ROE hi flow cats and race mufflers on my 94 all stainless. Terrific
sound, Roe will make the pipe between cats and muffler to lenght you want, very helpfull all for around $700 for side exhaust.

Side exhaust and rear exit sound TOTALLY different. I have the same setup on my 95, but no rear exit will sound the same.

n-mo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
vipervon,

I have a used Corsa cat-back exhaust for sale... actually it is still on the car. I am switching systems because I want my viper louder, and the corsa system is just a little too soft for me (it was on the car when I bought it).

If you are possibly interested you could always call me and I could let you listen over the phone.... It will be coming off and replaced next week.

-To bring you up to speed on exhaust sounds/options:

Stock: bad sound -ups truck
Corsa: great sound when driving and accelerating, very "tuned" sounding, NO cabin drone, quiet idle (relatively speaking that is).
B&B: X- pipe system... louder than Corsa, does not sound as finely tuned... shall we say a little more beasty...
Random Tech: somewhat of a hibrid of the corsa and B&B. X-pipe, Corsa style tips. You could say it is tuned and beasty (if that's possible).
Borla: One word, OBNOXIOUS... It's loud, does not sound tuned, your neighbors will hear you come and go from your midnight cruises and you may even get a few "disturbing the peace" citations.

Hope this helps.

Nate

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a stock exhaust on my '02 ACR. Have a Corsa cat back on my '02 FE Daytona. Car sounds more like it has the bite to go along w/ the aggressive looks.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Welcome Vipervon, you've come to the right place for answers like this.
Know that your question is perhaps THE MOST asked question on these threads.
I would recommend that you consider using the search function and see just how much there is on your question.

After a long time researching, I came away with Corsa as the right solution.
Why, whew...there is alot to that answer. Build quality, sound levels, sound characteristics, the cat one uses, headers or not...and then all your other mods now..and in the future.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i purchased the mopar exhaust which is borla and like it alot. :2tu: i think
it looks nice as well. i also purchased roe high flow cats but haven't installed
them yet. here are some pics of factory borla.

6041PICT0029EX.JPG

6041PICT0033EX.JPG

6041PICT0026EX.JPG

6041PICT0094EX.JPG

6041PICT0104EX.JPG

6041PICT0124EX.JPG

6041PICT0145EX.JPG

6041PICT0124EX.JPG

6041PICT0118EX.JPG

6041PICT0095EX.JPG

6041PICT0117EX.JPG

tom

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have B&B headers and full catback exhaust. But i took off my cats. It is LOUD and sounds GREAT. I went though the same process, i wanted a loud agressive tone and B&B has it! You can't go wrong!
You propbably can't even hear a Viper with Corsa exhaust running next to my B&B exhaust!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never been one to follow the crowd..

You must be registered for see images

In brief testing late last Fall, this was quieter, and more powerful.

I'll take power over sound any day !

:cool:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went with Corsa.Far better than stock.Slightly louder and more exotic.Too quiet for me.Removed cats.Just fine at idle and cruise.LOUD when on the go pedal.Listen to their sound clip.Sounds the same with high flows or no cats just much louder. GTS Bruce

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In brief testing late last Fall, this was quieter, and more powerful.

I'll take power over sound any day !

To each his own........I'll take deep thundering rumble over ...maybe 5-10 additional HP anyday ;)

Steve

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each his own........I'll take deep thundering rumble over ...maybe 5-10 additional HP anyday ;) Steve

Yuck it up.. :bonker:

If it were only a 5-10hp gain I wouldn't have felt it.. I don't even notice SOTP the +20hp my H pipes produce. Only see it as ET reductions.

But this 'device' generated tire spin in 1st & 2nd gear like a blower car.

After replacing it with a long length of straight pipe in a sort of reverse before & after experiment, there was no tire spin at all in the lower gears.

Zero.

Now to adjust the tuned length to bring it in between 3800rpm and 5600rpm...!

- Gonna be an interesting Summer ;)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do you live? We get down there a few times a summer. We'll be at the MCVO brunch on May 6th. Bring it on over! Maybe you can patent this thing. ...For me, I will always need the big rumble. Maybe one can have both?

Steve