Exhaust-routing question

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Backpressure isn't the issue. Consider the short length of the sidepipe cars and the sidepipe GTS/R. Are you SURE that running the pipes down the middle would leave enough ground clearance?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
Would there be sufficient back-pressure with such a straight, significantly shorter length of pipe? Is it simply too much heat too close to the tranny? Insufficient airflow to cool it? Heat is really the only issue I can think of...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<u> FIRE !</u>
crying.gif

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five Puppies Per: 3" = <u> HOT !</u>
devil.gif

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Viper Wizard on 01-26-2002 at 07:39 PM</font>

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buttheads. They wanna run hot pipes right up next to a hot tranny, huh? &lt;sarcasm&gt;That oughta help prolong tranny life.&lt;/sarcasm&gt; I'll look again but even if they could it would be a tight fit.

Cam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont think 3inch pipes would fit in there. Also it is very important that billet aluminum plate remains on the bottom side of the frame as this boxes/stiffens it. Question- why would you consider some that knows so little about this car to do a performance upgrade.

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SVS designed exhaust converges toward the back of the car and runs down the middle under the differential. Stupid place for it to be as it then becomes the lowest point under the car. The factory routing has a bend in each pipe to go around the differential. As a result of an off track venture, my pipes are now crushed to about 2/3rds their original diameter. At some point soon I oinetnd to go to a shop that can mandrell bend pipe and have them fix it. The restriction ain't good for hp !

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
It also occurs to me that routing the pipes that way might (if the tranny or oil pan isn't in the way?) make it easy to do a true crossover early enough in the piping to make a real difference, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It occured to PVO, too.....so the VGX (currently) has a true crossover design planned! {Ooops....can I post that HERE?!?}

But in 1992 and 96, Clearance and Heat were the two issues....

Running the hotter pipes and CATS (collecting 10 cyl vs 8 vs 6 vs 4) alongside the trans and the rear diff was a concern....

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could it be possible to do this conversion with the idea of wrapping the exhaust system with Thermo-tec pipe wrap to keep the heat down? Just a thought.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thought that, after side pipes were axed, Dodge just cut some pipes and ran them from the existing side pipe location and out the back - saving some serious $$$