exhaust ?

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had Roe hi-flow cats installed on my 01 gts.Car is otherwise stock.I had stock cats/resonators removed, previous owner must have removed mufflers.So now I have one very loud and vicious sounding viper.Problem is I can't get the car out after 8pm because of neighbors and the police,my wife was not pleased when I pulled in the garage and the water in her 2nd floor bathtub started to vibrate.I saw Roe sold mufflers(only) but wondered how they would sound?I prefer the muscle car sound, but at a lower level.Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you're gonna have to add some mufflers either in the back, or under the sills. Get some mufflers that flow well and have a good packing like Dynomax Ultraflos is my suggestion.

I added Dynomax mufflers in the back right after I got the car. They seem to do a good job of muffling with the high quality packing inside, and they flow like 1200cfm each.

I removed my cats a month ago and just took out the resonators this week. I haven't been able to drive it yet, but while it does sound a little louder at idle when cold with the resonators gone, revving it a little in place doesn't seem to indicate my work has changed the exhaust noise level much.

-That may not be a good reference because I removed the resonators to make room for something else (not a muffler) while under the sills this week that would make mine a little quieter than an average Viper without cats or resonators in place. (My latest experiment)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is I can't get the car out after 8pm because of neighbors and the police,my wife was not pleased when I pulled in the garage and the water in her 2nd floor bathtub started to vibrate.

Too bad you live in an unappreciating environment ;) That's what a Viper is supposed to sound like! When I start the car in the garage below, the walls vibrate upstairs, neighbors 2 blocks away can hear it idling in the garage, kids love it, my wife loves it.......life is good! I've never had anything but compliments from the neighbors on the big rumble coming out the back end of the old LND RKT. At WOT, I've been heard 2 miles away. With the blower on, it's even louder than it used to be. Civil and quiet is for the other cars.

There's only one reasonable solution that I can see to do. Move to a more accommodating location and buy your wife off with some ice. ;)

Steve

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to add the pleasure derived from setting off car alarms.
...from driving down the street slowly, to parallel parking, to the ultimate---driving up several floors of a parking ramp to a cacaphony of horns announcing our arrival. We don't get much of that up here. Not many have car alarms---they're not needed....but getting to the city every now and again affords us the opportunity to have a little fun.

See what you'll be missing.

Steve

OP
OP
G

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's 80 degrees here so the minute I get home I'm going out for my first long drive w/o exhaust,I will try to find the situations you mentioned to enjoy,it does sound like fun. My wife is not a hard sell, but the neighbors are a problem with my penchant for midnight drives!Not to mention my 2 yr old who believes that dad's fast blue car should not move w/o him in it.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to add the pleasure derived from setting off car alarms.
...from driving down the street slowly, to parallel parking, to the ultimate---driving up several floors of a parking ramp to a cacaphony of horns announcing our arrival.

What do I need to do to my car for that effect as far as the exhaust goes?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Belanger headers, no cats, 3" pipe into Walker Race Bullet 3" mufflers is what did the trick for me. Same set up old Bob has if you've been paying attention to the now infamous "Who's GTS did I race on 23 N in MI" thread. I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are to achieve 'sound off'

Belangers

Steve

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Belanger headers, no cats, 3" pipe into Walker Race Bullet 3" mufflers is what did the trick for me. Same set up old Bob has if you've been paying attention to the now infamous "Who's GTS did I race on 23 N in MI" thread. I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are to achieve 'sound off'

Belangers

Steve

Steve do you have a link to these Walker Race bullets? I can't seem sto find them on my own

Thnaks in advance
Matt

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve do you have a link to these Walker Race bullets? I can't seem sto find them on my own

Hi Matt,

It's a Walker Dynomax muffler 3' in 3" out

part number 24219

These are the same mufflers that come with a Belanger exhaust set up. Doing a quick Google shows them even cheaper than the last set I bought a few years ago.
$32.37 with free shipping. Can't beat that.

Race Bullets

Jegs has them too for a few dollars more. I'm getting over 30,000 miles out of them.

Steve