Exhibits SEVERE Wheel Hop...at the track

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not good for e/t's. Car is displaying incredible wheel hop...feels as though the whole tranny is ready to go thru the floor. Cannot get below 2.15 60'. Had one good run today...the first run then next two had to coast down the 1320. What can I do to eleviate.

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your rear suspension is setup too stiff, try adjusting the rear softer so it can absorb some of the swaying at high speed turns.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At bone stock I had horrible wheel hop & tranny shimmy, I even posted a vid up from inside the car showing the shifter flailing around at the drag strip.

I got rid of my runflats, did PS2s and Woodhouse mounts, I went to the track first time after getting these just today, ran 11.70's no wheel hop or tranny movement at all. I was still having trouble with my 60' times, track was not well prepped, I was around 1.9 on the 60', but the hop reduction was remarkable.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, some more info. With the 09 coupe, stock PS2's non run-flat. Eased out of the clutch, as if from a light on a street. No burnout. The car would hop violently even after the car found first gear and the tires grabbed. Even after second gear, car would just not let me floor it. After the run,(with a lousy 2.32 60' and 122 mph trap speed---imagine what I would run if it hooked up) I checked the tires and there was crap all over them, newspaper, pieces of plastic balloons, paper---where the heck did I pick all this up? Anyway happy with the 122. Weather was a bit hot . I figure even if I could pull a 2 flat 60' I will be @ 11.6-7

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At bone stock I had horrible wheel hop & tranny shimmy, I even posted a vid up from inside the car showing the shifter flailing around at the drag strip.

I got rid of my runflats, did PS2s and Woodhouse mounts, I went to the track first time after getting these just today, ran 11.70's no wheel hop or tranny movement at all. I was still having trouble with my 60' times, track was not well prepped, I was around 1.9 on the 60', but the hop reduction was remarkable.

Can I see the vid?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't I get vibrations with the mounts? And won't it put added stress on other components and possibly cause them to weaken or break?

The hop is suspension & drive line parts pounding themselves against other parts ---> Bad

The vibration you get when you have mounts that don't allow the parts to pound each other ---> Compromise

Kinda like a date with ******* and you prefer a thong.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda like a date with ******* and you prefer a thong.

i don't get your anaolgy :dunno:

what difference does it make if you wear a thong or not :eater:

unless your date is a dude wearing ******* :eater:

and your desire is matching underwear.....but why :dunno:

:eater:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...trip-run-comments-shifter-shimmy-welcome.html

Here's the video thread from my car, this is stock. I should've done an in car yesterday to show a comparison, I don't know why I didn't think of it, doh.

Your 122mph is way low also. I'm running 125-126, and you should have me by 50-60rwhp at least. I'd think 129-130mph for your car. Looks like you're in NY so no real altitiude ... I dunno, other 08-09 guys can chime in.

As for vibe, when I picked the car up after install, it was drizzling & I had the top up & driving slow, and it was like, wow, got some vibration here now, hmm. Two days and 150 miles later the vibe is 80% reduced, and it's still not fully broken in, takes about 500 mis I'm told. Well worth the little bit of vibe IMHO, the car feels totally different. Only place I feel vibe is around 2K rpm on decel, otherwise almost nothing.

The way I'd put it is if you want the viper with the smoothest possible ride and are willing to compromise a little on perf to have it smooth, don't do mounts. If you want the viper with a little more growl to the feel of it with the sharpest drivetrain feel, with a little compromise to the smoothness of it, then do the mounts. But I know no other way to address the hop & tranny shimmy myself.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure where ******* and wheel hop come together. I put on MT drag radials took the pressure to 12 lbs hop all gone... 60' time 1.48 1/4 11.88 122mph 04 mostly stock.

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had horrible wheelhop on factory tires, but zero wheelhop when I switched to Nitto Invo tires. Even when the car was stock power it had horrible track wheelhop. Now it has none at all, even with closer to 700 hp. Tires make a huge difference.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...trip-run-comments-shifter-shimmy-welcome.html

Here's the video thread from my car, this is stock. I should've done an in car yesterday to show a comparison, I don't know why I didn't think of it, doh.

Your 122mph is way low also. I'm running 125-126, and you should have me by 50-60rwhp at least. I'd think 129-130mph for your car. Looks like you're in NY so no real altitiude ... I dunno, other 08-09 guys can chime in.

As for vibe, when I picked the car up after install, it was drizzling & I had the top up & driving slow, and it was like, wow, got some vibration here now, hmm. Two days and 150 miles later the vibe is 80% reduced, and it's still not fully broken in, takes about 500 mis I'm told. Well worth the little bit of vibe IMHO, the car feels totally different. Only place I feel vibe is around 2K rpm on decel, otherwise almost nothing.

The way I'd put it is if you want the viper with the smoothest possible ride and are willing to compromise a little on perf to have it smooth, don't do mounts. If you want the viper with a little more growl to the feel of it with the sharpest drivetrain feel, with a little compromise to the smoothness of it, then do the mounts. But I know no other way to address the hop & tranny shimmy myself.

DMan, not to down play your wheel hop, but mine makes yours look like a drive in a Lexus. Mine was uterly VIOLENT. I looked in my rear view mirror just to make sure I didn't leave any car parts on the track.
As far as the 122mph being low, this was on a day where a F430 ran mid 12's at 120 and several C6 Z06's ran mid 12's The weather was also on the hot side. Add this to my stellar 2.24 60' time with violent wheel hop and I was rather impressed with the 122.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, some more info. With the 09 coupe, stock PS2's non run-flat. Eased out of the clutch, as if from a light on a street. No burnout. The car would hop violently even after the car found first gear and the tires grabbed. Even after second gear, car would just not let me floor it. After the run,(with a lousy 2.32 60' and 122 mph trap speed---imagine what I would run if it hooked up) I checked the tires and there was crap all over them, newspaper, pieces of plastic balloons, paper---where the heck did I pick all this up? Anyway happy with the 122. Weather was a bit hot . I figure even if I could pull a 2 flat 60' I will be @ 11.6-7

Wheel hop comes from 1 thing and thats traction loss, I suggest letting the tires down to 24 psi and do a quick clutch ride out of the hole and don't flat shift and you shouldn't have any problem. Start by leaving at about 1500 rpm's and work your way up to 3k if you can and that should produce the best ets. You should drive around the water and do like 2, 5' burnouts or more commonly called dry hops to clean your tires off and heat them up a little before staging and you should be good to go. The only time I ever get wheel hop is when I am to agressive on a slick track and if I do I just leave easier and experiment with the air pressures until I dial it in and it will work for you too.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DMan, not to down play your wheel hop, but mine makes yours look like a drive in a Lexus. Mine was uterly VIOLENT. I looked in my rear view mirror just to make sure I didn't leave any car parts on the track.
As far as the 122mph being low, this was on a day where a F430 ran mid 12's at 120 and several C6 Z06's ran mid 12's The weather was also on the hot side. Add this to my stellar 2.24 60' time with violent wheel hop and I was rather impressed with the 122.
Keep in mind that run is my second time to the track with this car, and my 5th of that day, only focusing on trying to get a smooth no hop run, if I just 'went for it' it felt like a rear wheel was going to fly off, or my rear deck was going to snap off. This was the best I could do & I've been dragging cars with horrible wheel hop since '87. That's why I posted the vid for comments, that was the least hop I could muster. In fact I kept my hand on the stick so you could see it, with my helmet cam frame rate, when I took my hand off the stick it looked like the stick disappeared, it was shaking so badly, lol.

Now I have virtually no hop at all, you have the right tires, the PS2 upgrade was part of my solution, and the mounts were the other (my mounts were completely destroyed looking when they were removed) .... and following Jamie's advice, I adjusted my technique a bit from input from him & Andy as well, all leading to huge improvements.

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is why I have to read all of daves posts!!

[/QUOTE]Kinda like a date with ******* and you prefer a thong.[/QUOTE]

A man of many talents........

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure where ******* and wheel hop come together.

Analogies - whether mine is appreciated or not - are not intended to offer a new object to be compared to the original object, but instead, provide an alternate group of objects that one might better understand the relationship thereof.

Summary - ******* and wheel hop are not together.

Summary 2 - I, as you well have figured out, can say really stupid things.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheel hop comes from 1 thing and thats traction loss, I suggest letting the tires down to 24 psi and do a quick clutch ride out of the hole and don't flat shift and you shouldn't have any problem. Start by leaving at about 1500 rpm's and work your way up to 3k if you can and that should produce the best ets. You should drive around the water and do like 2, 5' burnouts or more commonly called dry hops to clean your tires off and heat them up a little before staging and you should be good to go. The only time I ever get wheel hop is when I am to agressive on a slick track and if I do I just leave easier and experiment with the air pressures until I dial it in and it will work for you too.

Will take this advice to the track next time. Thanks

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Analogies - whether mine is appreciated or not - are not intended to offer a new object to be compared to the original object, but instead, provide an alternate group of objects that one might better understand the relationship thereof.

Summary - ******* and wheel hop are not together.

Summary 2 - I, as you well have figured out, can say really stupid things.

Dave it's all good here...... Just playing. I relate. I would probably make better ET's if I was chasing a pair.

Viper2008

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a stock 2008 viper convertible. Sometimes when it breaks loose the shifter bangs from side to side. Sounds like a jack hammer, I dump the clutch immediately, before the driveshaft comes thru the floor. Most often it happens with cold tires or old pavement, I can’t wait for the tires to warm up and I like to hear a squeel.

The problem is like wheel hop, the tires grab then slip then grab (repeats). I’m running stock Pilot Sport PS2. I saw some improvement after lowering to 22 psi.

I had the dealer look at it (under warranty), they didn’t see anything broken. I myself have dropped the belly pan and checked the motor & tranny mount, suspension, or anything that could be broke or loose. Maybe the banging is backlash in the drivetrain.

The tranny mount rubber has surface cracks from getting stretched. I think the mounts are too soft and the tranny and motor is rocking. Chuck the Viper Wizard suggested I could start by replacing the tranny mount with a poly mount.