Explain Skip Shift - New Owner

02 F.E. TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new to me 02 F.E. TT Heffner car and am just learning what you guys already know. Have not had any trouble shifting at all but hear about skip shift issues. Is it probable that Heffner disabled it?
Thanks,
02 F.E. TT

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 'skip-shift eliminator' was probably installed. That, or youre shifting properly, ie; correct RPM's.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can't imagine your car still has it operational as it is a gas saving device to force a 1st to 4th shift

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you havent had any problems you're probably good to go. if youre unaware.. all it does is force you into 4th from 1st unless youre giving it the beans.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It *****. If you've driven the car in a "normal" manner, and haven't had a problem shifting into 2nd gear, then your car doesn't have it anymore.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First off congrats on the purchase of an awesome TT car, make sure you check your tires date code and keep her pointed straight when feeding the beast.
If I recall correctly it's below 1,800rpm in first that the skip shift forces you to forth. there is a plug in eliminator you can put it to bypass this. there is a little amber arrow that comes on then goes out on your information gauge on your dash when you are in first and rev past 1800. when that light is on (below 1800) see if you can shift into second, if you can you have the eliminator installed or an ECU with that override.

Again, congrats, welcome to the best car club in the world and post some pics of that bad boy.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new car!!

Skip shift is almost certainly programmed out of your car already by whatever tuning was done when the TT was added.

You would know it if you had it and have ever driven in traffic.

OP
OP

02 F.E. TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank all of you for your response. I have driven in traffic with no issues so it must be disabled. I will try to get pictures soon.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are 3 conditions for it to be activated, the engine temp has to be above some point, don't recall what, throttlel possition has to be less then some point (20%) I think, and speed has to be between 10 and 20mph, I think. At any rate, its rather rare to be forced into 4th, but you will occasionally see the little shift light indicating that if you shift now you will be forced into 4th.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I live on an island about 1 mile to the bridge driving past nice homes. I like to keep revs low for noise and fight the skip shift feature all the time. I just want to go to 2nd after 1500 RPM or so in 1st and not bog down in 4th--what a pain to shift to 4th and back to 2nd then 3rd. I'll bet a lot of you get in conditions where you just want to cool it. In those conditions the skip shift is a real pain. Unfortunately I encounter this every time I leave the house--Dave

OP
OP

02 F.E. TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, that is the one. Do you know anything about the car? Be kind, dont hurt my feelings.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you feel that awkward slotting into 4th, you do not need to go into and out of that gear.

Just do a slow double clutch and you can get back into 2nd gear.

First gear...clutch...awkward feeling...clutch again without rushing...slot into 2nd, and you are on your way.

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No I don't. I just know that the Heath's Toys had one for sale, very close to me. If I had the $ I would have probably seriously inquired about it. Have fun with it and be careful!

OP
OP

02 F.E. TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the come back. Thought you may have known something about it. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery