Extremely disappointed in Dodge, Chrysler, SRT unacceptable service.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weeks ago I posted that I was in need of a proper alignment. I Needed most specifically my rear caster adjusted.

I had a few recommendations and either they were 4 plus hours away (each way) or they weren't able to do the alignment. So I decided to call Chrysler directly. I must say they were very friendly on the phone, and acted very willing to help, but were absolutely worthless.

To adjust rear caster there are tools/adapters specific to the rear of the Viper needed to do these adjustments (This is what the shop manual and dealers have told me) I would have thought that there would be a dealer within a couple hours of Delaware that would be able to service a car that they may have sold. When the representative looked up my VIN number she was able to see all the vehicles I have purchased over the past several years: Durrango, (2) 1500's, (2) HEMI Chargers, (5) Vipers, and more. I have been a MOPAR team player and this is terrible service.

Some of the responses:

1. (this was the best) Rear caster? "that is a steering angle, there is no rear caster, you must be thinking of camber" This answer came from a few dealers.

2. "We do alignments all the time, why do you think that needs to be done? implying that there is no need for that.

3. "Sorry we don't have a Viper tech" or "sorry we don't have the tools"

4. After keeping my car on the alignment machine for three hours: " I just just read my service manual and we don't have the right tools....Sorry" "don't worry there is no charge" AFTER 3 HOURS!

5. After hearing the car is used for track days " we don't want to get involved in that"

And more stupid responses ALL FROM DODGE DEALERS

I defend Mopars often, and this is the bad type of service that gives them their bad reputation.

I do almost all the work on my cars myself, and I do work on other peoples cars as well, but I don't have my own alignment equipment.

Fortunately, I found a local mechanic that has been in business for a long time that was able to get me sorted out. (not at a dealer)

:mad:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ummm.... that's why I never go to the dealership. I took my Mustang GT in to Ford to get a plastic bracket put on the trunk molding and there were 10 miles on my tripometer when I picked up the car. I laid the smack down on those fools and they got scared... Dealerships are straight up morons...

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's a great dealer about 2 hours from me. And what makes it great is, they have a great Viper tech who knows these cars inside and out. So its actually a pleasure to make that trip when i need to. But for the most part, i agree, they can be pretty lame.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you insisting a dealer do the work? Find a local shop that does either track/race car support or build race cars. All the "special tools" you need are usually a Miller tool and if you know the part # you can actually buy them yourself. I think GTS Dean has them all, lol

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the missing tool you are referring to is called an inclinometer. The tool is used by Viper Techs specifically to adjust caster on the rear wheels. It is part of the kit of tools that certified viper techs possess. In 10 years of road racing Vipers, I never adjusted caster. Careful attention to camber and toe was all we dealt with.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not every Dealer has a viper tech onsite. I suspect it will get even worse when they allocate the new cars. One may have to travel to get work done on our Beasts.

Bruce

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm a dealer tech and i find it offensive the fact you call all dealers ****.

We do anything performance that people ask. hell just the other day i spend a couple hours installing custom camber bushings in a SRT8, totally not factory but i had no problem doing it and everything came out perfect.

***** you have no one in your area that will help you out. but some people do, dont go bad mouthing everyone because it didn't work out for you.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you insisting a dealer do the work? Find a local shop that does either track/race car support or build race cars. All the "special tools" you need are usually a Miller tool and if you know the part # you can actually buy them yourself. I think GTS Dean has them all, lol

+1 on this.

I have Dan Fiffic, crew chief for McCann Racing thank goodness. Very honest - very good.
They build and race cometition coupe vipers... don't know what I'd do without 'em. Just very fortunate.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve, while my local dealer, Videon, couldn't do the alignment, I bet D'Ambrosio's in Downingtown could have. Their Viper tech has a national reputation, and I'm sure he could have done it, or recommended a local shop (which it seems you already found).

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Moparboyy--
What dealer are you in? I'm in Sarasota and was wondering where I would go for service that I couldn't do---Dave

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not every Dealer has a viper tech onsite. I suspect it will get even worse when they allocate the new cars. One may have to travel to get work done on our Beasts.

Bruce

That's just swell.
So you'll have to ship your car off to another state (is SRT paying for the enclosed trailer and pickup at your home) for warranty work.
I cringe now thinking about it with my Gen 4 since there is no trusted dealer within 200 miles, can you imagine the Gen 5 fun with all the first year gremlins in the new electronics?

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had the same issues. I made up my mind that I will not take my Viper into my local dealers unless I have to have warranty work done. I took my last Viper in for an oil change and after walking around the building to the other side, the poor kid was still on the other side of the building trying to figure out how to start it. Until I can get a lift, I now go to a local oil change facility that lets me get into the pit with them.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, it is an exclusive car with limited production. For most dealers, it probably doesn't make sense to get a tech "officially" trained. That said, I don't understand why an experienced tech cannot just pick it up on the fly by reading the service manual.

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
The next time you get the run around about something Viper related, call Victor or me. We have our tech's direct cell number and bounce questions off him all the time. And yes, Jeff Palmer at D'Ambrosio Dodge in Downingtown is already scheduled for the Gen V training classes in NY. They need more cars to be produced before the classes start.

Diane

OP
OP
M

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a great dealer about 2 hours from me. And what makes it great is, they have a great Viper tech who knows these cars inside and out. So its actually a pleasure to make that trip when i need to. ...

I don't doubt there are good dealers just none in the 2 hour radius of Delaware.

It sounds like the missing tool you are referring to is called an inclinometer. The tool is used by Viper Techs specifically to adjust caster on the rear wheels. It is part of the kit of tools that certified viper techs possess. In 10 years of road racing Vipers, I never adjusted caster. Careful attention to camber and toe was all we dealt with.

You are correct, the inclinometer and related mounts was the needed parts. It appears that camber was set at some point by only one cam bolt and not both, pushing caster way out from one side to the other.

i'm a dealer tech and i find it offensive the fact you call all dealers ****.
.... but some people do, dont go bad mouthing everyone because it didn't work out for you.

I never called all dealers anything. I know there are great techs out there. Nebraska has one and Tators was another too far away. there are just none here.

Steve, while my local dealer, Videon, couldn't do the alignment, I bet D'Ambrosio's in Downingtown could have. Their Viper tech has a national reputation, and I'm sure he could have done it, or recommended a local shop (which it seems you already found).

D'Ambrosios was one of the biggest jokes I spoke to. They had originally told Chrysler they would do it, then when I called, told them it would see track time they told me their "alignment rack was bent" and they "Just don't want to get involved"

Steve,
The next time you get the run around about something Viper related, call Victor or me. We have our tech's direct cell number and bounce questions off him all the time. And yes, Jeff Palmer at D'Ambrosio Dodge in Downingtown is already scheduled for the Gen V training classes in NY. They need more cars to be produced before the classes start.

Diane

D'Ambrosios was a waste of time. I even offered to sign a waiver, if they would make an effort. Still NO.

Like I said I am sure there are techs out there that are capable and qualified, just none here. I am just glad I found an independent shop that was able to get everything right. Not an authorized dealer. Sad situation.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said I am sure there are techs out there that are capable and qualified, just none here. I am just glad I found an independent shop that was able to get everything right. Not an authorized dealer. Sad situation.

Expecting an authorized dealer to setup a track alignment is a reach at best. Sure, there's places like Woodhouse but they are definitely not the norm. Expecting every dealership to be like Woodhouse or Tators' is unrealistic. I wouldn't even want a dealership (Woodhouse excluded) trying to set up my car for the track as they have probably never done it before. If you go to a NARRA event call Archer before hand and setup an appt. with Russ at the track. Best alignment you can get for your car period and he does it in a little over an hour.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Expecting an authorized dealer to setup a track alignment is a reach at best.

What makes the settings for a track alignment something a dealership Viper tech would not want to handle? Is it that they can not go by the "book" to charge hours? I understand that they might need more time because it may be hard to achieve caster requirements with track-type camber numbers. I think that a person wanting a track alignment should be prepared to be charged actual hours versus book hours, if the tech has no prior experience achieving the settings desired on the specific car involved.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
physically making the adjustments is not the issue. The lack of knowledge of what those adjustments should be is. Driving a viper on track is difficult enough. Having someone without the proper knowledge setup a car could potential make much more dangerous than it already is.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... NOT YOU TOO STEVE!!!!

Im Extremely disappointed in you. We will talk about this later.;)

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop whining. Drive up north to the Wizard.

P.S.: I crossed Delaware coming from D.C. arriving in Danbury, CT within a few hours this April. :D

IF you would be in our shoes - Europe - without any warranty, grey imports, no support at all, nothing, nada ...:drive:

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's just swell.
So you'll have to ship your car off to another state (is SRT paying for the enclosed trailer and pickup at your home) for warranty work.
I cringe now thinking about it with my Gen 4 since there is no trusted dealer within 200 miles, can you imagine the Gen 5 fun with all the first year gremlins in the new electronics?

Hold that thought, Jon. There just may be one way closer to you than you think. I am currently verifying a mechanic's certification at a Dodge dealer about half the distance between myself and you.
I happen to know a mechanic that works there currently and am awaiting word. In fact, last year they worked on a Viper that a customer had sitting in his garage for 4 years (obvious gummed injectors, et al).
Good news just may be on the horizon(at least for us). :D

Scott

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
... If you go to a NARRA event call Archer before hand and setup an appt. with Russ at the track. Best alignment you can get for your car period and he does it in a little over an hour.

This is the best idea so far. You could probably drive over to the NARRA event @ NJMP this weekend and get all the advice and probably an alignment if you grease the right palms.
If that doesn't work, consider bringing the car to Viper Play day at BeaveRun/ PGH International on 6/23/2012.
The right people may be there and may be persuaded if you give them advance notice.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MoparBoyy, you and a few rare birds are just that. I watched my local dealerships 'Best Guy" ding my side sills because it wasn't worth his effort to ensure his lift was properly aligned and padded. I can go on and on, but core of the problem is at the top. If you don't pay people a proper wage and instill excellence, you end up with a workforce that tends to not care, with a high turnover rate.

I always serviced my own cars, and the only dealership network that has always catered to me with regards to fair parts pricing is Chevrolet. I've never had luck with any discount pricing or any knowledge from my local Dodge or Jeep dealers. The Chevy dealers I've dealt with over the years always greet me by my first name, they seem to realize that I care and only buy factory parts for my cars. All the local Dodge AND Jeep dealers I've purchased parts from could care less about my business and tend to have zero knowledge about anything. This is exactly why I did not purchase a Dodge truck the last time around. It's very sad but true.

I applaud the good dealership techs and parts guys out there. You are rare and so underappreciated by most.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad to know that I have 2 of the best techs within 20 milies of each other.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth