Factory Crossover question?

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the factory stereo system the rear speakers only put out bass (and they ****) I was thinking of putting seperates in the doors and the rear, and keeping the factory amp. Where is the crossover at? I would like to have a full range of sound coming out the rear speakers as well, being as how I am also installing a couple of twelves. I will also be changing the factory head unit.
Any advise would be great!! :cool:
(1998 GTS)

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a factory cross over. The only thing that resembles a crossover is a resistor soldered inline with the door tweeter. It filters out the low frequencies.

Just install the aftermarket crossover in the door panels. Don't bother putting a full range speaker in the rear. Actually don't bother putting any speaker in the rear location if you're going with some subs. The location just bounces the high frequencies back and forth within the trunk anyway. If you're going to change the head unit you will need to change the amp too unless you can find a DIN adapter. The factory amp ***** anyway so you're better off changing it.

If you want to get some ideas you can check out my gallery pictures.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The only thing that resembles a crossover is a resistor soldered inline with the door tweeter. It filters out the low frequencies."

A resistor won't filter anything.
If it is a low pass filter, it would have to be a capacitor.

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm with GTSnake on this one... The factory amp ***** if you really want any quality sound. Change the head unit, change the amp and put some decent speakers in the doors and your system will rock!!!

I actually tried to send 150 watts to the center crap sub, but it just bottoms out on me. I'm going to put 1 10" in the truck, but there are a lot of guys on here putting subs in the passenger footwell...

Hell... I saw a pic of some guys GTS with 3 10s in the hatchback... looked pretty good...

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The crossover frequency will vary depending on which speakers you choose provided it is an adjustable crossover. It will also depend on your hearing and what your personal taste is. Don't be surprised if you go with a good separate speaker system if you have to attenuate the tweeters. They are focused in such a way that with some speakers the sound can be quite harsh.

If you get a really technical crossover, you can even adjust the slope of the crossover which alters how sharply the transition occurs with the crossover.

Good luck, I second the idea of getting a new amp too. I do recommend running all new wiring to eliminate problems with trying to merge two systems.

Hope this helps.

Kurt

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A resistor won't filter anything.
If it is a low pass filter, it would have to be a capacitor.

Resitor, capacitor whatever. It's one of those thing-a-ma-bobbers in electronic boxes. I'm an M.E. so all I know are gears and levers... :bonker:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"It's one of those thing-a-ma-bobbers in electronic boxes"

Well, you're right.
It is one of those for sure. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960