Factory Pick-Up Procedure for Viper SRT10?

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can Bill Pemberton or someone else advise how you can go about the procedure of picking up your new Viper at the factory? My 2008 black SRT10 was ordered on 21 February.....built on 27 March (I have the VIN number from my dealer)...and has been sitting in "I Code" since 1 April. My dealer is no help here in Maryland as they just say it is in I Code. I called Chrysler Care at (800) 992-1997 and they set up a Case File on my VIN number but offered no news other than it is still in "I Code".

My car has stock wheels, no stripes, only option is satellite radio/navigation system. Is there any information on what is holding up getting these built cars out of "I Code"? Are there any post manufacturing problems that are holding up the process?

I just sold my 12,000 mile original owner 1996 Viper GTS this morning and am already going into withdrawal as I don't see a delivery date in sight on my new 2008 SRT 10. Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry Kircher [email protected]

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the dreaded "I" status!!! Mine was in "I" status for approximately 4-5 weeks. I would think yours should be graduating soon. The good news is that should be the last step for you before going to "KZ". Mine had stripes so it went to "JB" for a few weeks after graduating from "I".

Just found out this week that my car is finished! I arranged factory pickup through Bill P. (where I bought my car) months ago. I just sent full payment for the car this week and was told I would be contacted for factory pickup dates.

By the way, you will need to pay Michigan sales tax regardless of what state you are in before you can pickup the car at the factory. Did you already arrange pickup with your dealer? If not, make sure you do it ASAP.

OP
OP
J

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocket,

While I'm a long time VCA member, I haven't been on this site for over a year and didn't know that Bill P. was the guy to go to when ordering a new Viper. I foolishly (in hindsight) used a local Dodge dealer here in Maryland who rarely if ever sells a Viper and they have no clue on the process. When I got back on this site I noticed that Bill P. is the guru that folks use to understand the factory problems and was hopeful that he could offer some advice.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your dealer is the key to the factory pick up. And the pick up is arranged through the VCA. Call Viper Headquarters 1-800-998-1110 and ask your questions---get some bang for your membership buck! I would suggest you inquire about the sales tax issue. I know you won't pay sales tax in both your home state and Michigan, but there may be a problem if your home state does not have a sales tax on automobiles. Good luck!:2tu:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think you have to pay Mich sales tax if it is out of state registration, because you will need to pay your states sales tax when you reg there, ( i cannot imagine people from out of MI would do fact delv if they got a double hit on sales tax)

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For factory pickup, you do pay 6% sales tax to Michigan regardless of what state you live in. Then, when you register the car in your state, they recogize that the 6% sales tax was already paid and you don't have to pay it again. If your sales tax rate is 7% in your state, then I imagine you would only pay the difference of 1% at the time of registration in your state.

However, as Smog Dog said, if your state does not have sales tax on automobiles, you might be out an extra 6% just to pickup at the factory. :omg:

I live in PA which has the same sales tax rate as Michigan. So, fortunately, its a wash for me.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tax thing is interesting.....here's what actually happened in my case when I took factory delivery of my 08 in December of 2007. I live in Ohio, and our sales tax varies from county to county, depending on how much is added to the state sales tax on a local level.

My dealer, Roanoke Motors in Illinois, contacted Kim at Viper Headquarters to set up the factory delivery. Car was invoiced and Roanoke paid for the car. Window sticker shows customer pick up Conner Ave. Prefix sent their trailer to Conner Avenue, picked up the car and returned to their facility to put the white stripes on the GTS Blue coupe. Roanoke sent their trailer to Prefix to pick up the car when it was finished. Roanoke delivered the car to Ohio, and took my traded 2006 back to Illinois. I paid all the sales tax to the State of Ohio when I took the MSO to the local Bureau of Motor Vehicles to register it in Ohio and get the Ohio title and plates. And of course, I only paid tax on the difference in the 2 cars, not on the entire price of the 2008.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
warning..warning Warning! You Will Absolutely Have To Pay Tax In Maryland, They Will Not Care In The Slightest That You Paid In Michigan. I Have Been Through This Process And I Can Assure You They Will Charge You.
And if you have stripes your car has not gone to prefix yet if it is in I. And that process has been slooooow, mine has been waiting almost exactly the same length of time. And Pemberton can't help you, he can't even see an order from another dealer. What dealer did you go through?

Last edited:

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the Peoples' Republic of Kalifornia:

1. You WILL pay Sales tax; and

2. You WILL pay Sales tax on the entire price of the new car, not just the difference in the trade vs. new car price.

Gubinator must have some greenbacks!

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For factory pickup, you do pay 6% sales tax to Michigan regardless of what state you live in. Then, when you register the car in your state, they recogize that the 6% sales tax was already paid and you don't have to pay it again. If your sales tax rate is 7% in your state, then I imagine you would only pay the difference of 1% at the time of registration in your state.

However, as Smog Dog said, if your state does not have sales tax on automobiles, you might be out an extra 6% just to pickup at the factory. :omg:

I live in PA which has the same sales tax rate as Michigan. So, fortunately, its a wash for

me.

I can't see the state that you live in say " ok you paid other state tax so here's your credit"
that would really not make any sense. The state that you live in counts on all that revenue from cars bought/sold in there state. Why would they be cool with another state getting all that sales tax? I'm not saying it didn't happen for you but it just does not make any sense at all to me:dunno:

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
from what i understand you will have to battle to get your refund if you pay the state tax in michigan...but when i bought my ram 1500 last year the financial guru there told me that there is a huge problem with this. many people are going up to michhigan to buy there cars, pay the michigan sales tax, and then return home in ohio to pay the sales tax also. then you have to battle your state to get the refund from michigan since you double paid...very tough to do, because neither state wants to give up that money...he also said it was a problem with PA right now too!!!

just be for warned!!!

OP
OP
J

jerryk96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback and tax counsel. The terrific news is that my selling dealer here in Maryland called me today to say that my car has left the dreaded "I Code" and has moved to "KZ"...released from plant and invoiced. The dealer says it is now in transit and should be here in Maryland later this week...no need for factory pickup or state tax issues.

My timeline was it was in "I Code" for about 5 weeks after the car was built....no stripes or special options...just a Black SRT 10 with stock wheels and sirius radio/nav system.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

Jerry K.

V

Venomiss

Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback and tax counsel. The terrific news is that my selling dealer here in Maryland called me today to say that my car has left the dreaded "I Code" and has moved to "KZ"...released from plant and invoiced. The dealer says it is now in transit and should be here in Maryland later this week...no need for factory pickup or state tax issues.

My timeline was it was in "I Code" for about 5 weeks after the car was built....no stripes or special options...just a Black SRT 10 with stock wheels and sirius radio/nav system.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

Jerry K.

Make sure your dealer fills out all the paperwork to get your free year of VCA membership. Only they can do it. If you are a VCA member now(that's what I caught from your earlier post) then contact one of the moderators here with all your information -VIN,name, and all that jazz in a PM .
Only they will be able to see it. They will check it manually and upgrade you on this site to VCA member. Since you are in MD Lee is your areas president.(guessing you already know this part).
Moderators are Lee00blacksilverGTS, kcobean, and CitySnake.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see the state that you live in say " ok you paid other state tax so here's your credit"
that would really not make any sense. The state that you live in counts on all that revenue from cars bought/sold in there state. Why would they be cool with another state getting all that sales tax? I'm not saying it didn't happen for you but it just does not make any sense at all to me:dunno:

It might not make sense and does sound strange, but it is 100% correct. I live in PA (6% tax). Just bought a Jeep SRT-8 from Michigan last year. I paid Michigan sales tax (also 6%) at the time of purchase. They provided me whats called an RD-108 form which shows that I paid Michigan 6% sales tax. I brought that form to PA and registered the car. On my registration form (pink slip), it shows the purchase price and and a "Tax Credit" for the amount of tax I paid in Michigan which resulted in NO TAX paid to PA (since they are the same percentage). Bill P. explained this exact same process for my 08 Viper for which I will pickup at the factory.

I don't know about other states, but PA and MI are what they call "reciprocal" states which is why the tax credit can be applied in PA. See document below for the exact procedure. The tax credit is mentioned at the bottom of the page for "reciprocal" states.

Out of State buyer/Sales Tax

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You will have to prepay for the car and all the tax before it would be released and over the years I have had some individuals have to fight with their State Dept. of Revenue in order not to pay tax ---- I believe this is primarily due to the fact that they have never even seen and RD108 form. I would do some checking with in Maryland and if Lee S. is correct, just have the vehicle delivered to your Dealer. I believe your tax is less than Michigan's , so you may even be in the middle of attempting to collect a refund ( tricky to get it done right the first time and it sounds like your Dealer has never done a factory pickup ). You can always hitch a ride with one of the Regional Clubs when they go for a Plant visit if your primary goal is to see the Plant ---- or just wait, go to VOI-10 and visit then.

Best of luck and give me a call if you want to chat about the process.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
1-800-889-1893