Factory stereo vs. aftermarket

Vip23er

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2003 SRT-10 and I am looking to upgrade the radio. I am trying to determine which is best...to go with the factory radio that has nav/satelite radio (I think it is RB1) or whether I should go with an aftermarket radio. I am looking for opinions from people who have them. Also, if aftermarket is the best way to go, is a motorized pop-up screen the best way to go? Any help would be appreciated.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the RB-1 in my '08 and to my surprise, I think it's excellent. That being said, if I didn't have it and wanted to upgrade the base radio, I'd probably do much better with an aftermarket system for the cost of a new RB-1. In my case, I forget that the radio is on half the time, being so busy with the experience of driving.

OP
OP
V

Vip23er

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the RB-1 in my '08 and to my surprise, I think it's excellent. That being said, if I didn't have it and wanted to upgrade the base radio, I'd probably do much better with an aftermarket system for the cost of a new RB-1. In my case, I forget that the radio is on half the time, being so busy with the experience of driving.
I know the Navigation is built into the RB1, but is the Satelite radio and IPod connection also, or are those additional add-ons to the RB1?

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I upgraded to the RB1 and I love it. Some complain that the nav features aren't that great, but it gets you from A-B pretty good. It may not have all the bells and whistles of other nav systems, but I usually don't care when in the Viper. Also, I love the iPod kit (so the single disc CD doesn't matter to me). I have an iPod nano dedicated to the car, so I take all the music I want with me (no need to change discs or channels). You can also control the iPod through the deck, so that's a great feature. You also get the factory look to it. I picked mine up from eBay for a decent price (about 1/2 the new price) and it came out of an 07 Towne & Country.

The aftermarket deck will give you some nice features and and all, but won't give you the factory look of the RB1, plus they may have to modify the dash or put in spacers.

It's really all up to what you are looking for.

OP
OP
V

Vip23er

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is starting to sound like aftermarket might be the best way to go so I can get all accessories in one place.