Fan switch...

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I just noticed this forum was sponsored by Lingenfelter.... cool! My buddy just got a twin turbo Z06 from those guys - SWEET car. He runs mid 10's at 135mph at the track. Unbelievable.

Anyway, I want to install a 'manual fan switch' in my car for at the track. I read about the fan having more than one speed (like low and high), and I'd want it to turn them on high...

So how do I do this? I just want to put a toggle switch hidden under the dash or something - nothing fancy. What wires would I need to hook it into? I could go the low-tech route and just supply power direct from the battery through a switch, but there must be a more elegant way...

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Mike,
If you don't have one of our fan control kits (for AFTER the engine has been shut off), you could get one and kill two birds with one stone. Our kit has a temperature sensor, relay, wiring, instructions, installation supplies, etc already set up. With the addition of a toggle switch, two short pieces of wire (one to ground, the other to our relay ground trigger) and a quick tap, you could also manually control to fan. Our fan kit is $99.95 and you could get a small toggle switch (no real amperage will go through it and it will be negative) for just a couple dollars from Radio Shack.
They're on our website at www.roeracing.com under Viper upgrades, cooling.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta say, sure am happy I installed the fan kit. It works like a champ, turns on or stays on after turning off the motor, then turns off after a few minutes. The heat that is blown from under the car is amazing. Otherwise, I am sure the heat would have stayed in the engine area.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean and Frank,

Thanks for the info - sounds like it will do what I want and more.

Sean I ordered this from your website last night - you got a lot of good stuff on there! I shouldn't have a problem installing - done a lot of electrical stuff before.

Thanks for turning me onto this product!

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike
You are going to love the fan kit from Sean. I have one and it really helps out at the track.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

We can take this offline if you like, or I can give you a buzz, but I'm curious how I would manually turn on the fan switch?

The way I understand it, if I have a SPST (2 connector) switch connected between ground and your relay ground, and I flip it, the fan will come on? Will it stay on if the engine is turned off and the key is out (I am guessing yes, which is what I would want).

Would it need to be a momentary (push and then let go) switch, or a toggle switch (flip it and leave it on to keep the fan going)? I'd like to be able to flip it and let it run for a while at the track.

Do you know how long the fan could be left running before I'd have to be concerned about the battery life? I wouldn't want to leave it going for 10 minutes, only to have my car not able to start on the line
You must be registered for see images

You can reach me at 978-536-5088 if it would be easier to go over this on the phone, or email me at [email protected].

Thanks Sean!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Mike,
I wrote out the directions with your fan kit. Becky sent it out today. The SPST toggle switch will work out the way you want it to.
Regarding fan ON time, it all depends on your battery condition. I've tested them running for an hour and had them be able to start the car. If you think you may forget to turn it off, we can set you up with an Omron Brand timer.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

Wow, you wrote it out and put it in the kit for me? Great service - thanks!

I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out - if not I'll ask ya. I dont think I will forget to turn it off - it's just for when I pull into the staging lanes at the track and I am waiting to run - I usually open my hood and shut the motor off - with the switch I can run the fan too. Probably 5-10 minutes at the very most.

Thanks!

Mike