Fans Not Working

SidewinderGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys.I`m driving a 97 GTS.
Could some tell me which ones are the fuses and relays I should check.My fuse lid is a different year.Is there a way to check the fan?:dunno:
Thanks in advance.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
A recent post that I made;

''If your 98 manual is like mine, that location for the relays is wrong...a left over Gen I description and photo. Gen II fan relays are located in a small square box right next to the red positive jumper terminal on the driver's side...just in front on the large fuse/relay box. There are 4 relay sockets,3 are used...high & low speed fan relays, one starter relay.''

I would start by swapping relays around.

If you scroll down this page, and for the next 4 pages, there are several ''fan threads''...that have many good trouble shooting tips.

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to Steve-Indy, I found the relays right off the bat. He is correct in that the manual, at least for the '98, shows the relays in the wrong spot. Troubleshooting is easy with the right diagrams as I found out when Joeseph Dell sent me the right ones and also a troubleshooting flowchart from the diagnostic serivce manual which I didn't have.:2tu:

A recent post that I made;

''If your 98 manual is like mine, that location for the relays is wrong...a left over Gen I description and photo. Gen II fan relays are located in a small square box right next to the red positive jumper terminal on the driver's side...just in front on the large fuse/relay box. There are 4 relay sockets,3 are used...high & low speed fan relays, one starter relay.''

I would start by swapping relays around.

If you scroll down this page, and for the next 4 pages, there are several ''fan threads''...that have many good trouble shooting tips.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hope you have some luck with this...it can be difficult and frustrating.

A friend and I spent a fair anount of time poking around his 98 thanks to that manual error on the fan relays...comical now, but not that day.

Another friend posted a thread about a corrosion problem with the back side of his fan relay sockets...ultimately repaired by rewiring the ''spare''socket to become the appropriate fan circuit.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
''Another friend posted a thread about a corrosion problem with the back side of his fan relay sockets...ultimately repaired by rewiring the ''spare''socket to become the appropriate fan circuit.''

...and that post was by ''Big Medicine'' in case you need to find the thread.

bumblebee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my fan does not opperate..only with ac on. I have a 02 roe gts. I have only one large fan...is this correct or do the older gts have 2 fans ?
Thanks.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my fan does not opperate..only with ac on. I have a 02 roe gts. I have only one large fan...is this correct or do the older gts have 2 fans ?
Thanks.

Older GTS? If you are referring to your '02 GTS - the last year they made them - that would make yours a younger GTS wouldn't it?

And they all have just one fan. Well, two counting the driver... ;)