Final testing of roeracing 710 cam, expectations exceeded

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock cam
Kn intake
Custom Titanium exhaust (deleted catalyst converter set #1 on the exhaust)
Roller rockers
Findanza lightweight flywheel
Lightweight underdrive pulley
Abs wires
170 degree thermostat
Baush plugs
Sct tune
=475/512 sae, 487/522 std
Bsm dynojet

Only the following modifications were made

710 cam
Beehive springs to support higher lift cam
Forged pushrods to support higher lift cam
Gen4 head gaskets (slightly thinner raising compression from 9.6 to 9.8)
New sct tune to support 710 cam
Deleted catalyst converter set #2 after the headers
=543/546 sae, 556/559 std
Bsm dynojet

Car drives like a stock 03 Viper, Cant stress that enough. Just sounds awesome and pulls like a freight train with my weight reduction at 3250 pounds

I GAINED 68 RWHP SAE!

THERE WILL UNDOUBTEDLY BE NAY SAYERS WHO TELL YOU ITS BECAUSE OF MY GEN4 HEAD GASKETS OR DELETED CATS. WELL I HAD THE SAME GEN4 HEAD GASKETS WITH MY COMPETITION COUPE CAMSHAFT AND THAT SETUP ONLY HIT 486/530 SAE AND 499/545 STD. SO THAT THEORY GOES OUT OF THE WATER. THE DELETED #1 SET OF CATS ARE GOOD FOR 5-10 RWHP TOPS.

In short. The RoeRacing camshaft is good for 50-60 rwhp (60-70 crank hp) over the stock cam. I wouldnt belieave it unless it happened to me.

Stay tuned for quartermile passes

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was hard enough to find about this cam, unknown if theirs somthing else out there thats more agressive

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great numbers Twister. 68whp is a nice gain from your bolt-on setup. Overall, it appears that your the cam and bolt-ons is good for 80-90whp over stock. I wonder if full length headers will get you another 10-15whp???

Thanks for the informative posts. Now post some graphs. I want to see the gains at the mid-range.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. Is there a more aggressive cam offered by anyone?

I bet the car would lose power with a "more aggressive" cam without doing something to the heads and engine as a package.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly Id say 112 crank hp was gained from bolt ons and cam. Average gen3 dynoes 440-445 sae. Im at 543 sae. Thats an actual 100 rwhp gain.

I dont even have headers/throttle body/manifold yet.
The 710 cam is amazeing. This is gen4 power with an extra 25 rwt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drives like a stocker. My cam installer whos done 1000s of cams in american cars (fourth cam job hes done for me) stated that he was expecting it to be wilder and that if drivability is this good then they could easily change the profile a lil to make another 15 rwhp and be completely streetable. Im gonna make a vid of me driving her to give you an idea.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres the first dyno we did after installing the 710 cam. I was sad as hell. Only hit 500 rwhp sae (512 std) . Just 25 rwhp over my stock cam (487 std) and 13 rwhp over the comp coupe cam (499 std) . Luckily a rich tune and clogged cats were the reason for the "low" 500 rwhp sae #

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXuWiP6ktUw&feature=g-all-s&context=G2af94ccFAAAAAAAADAA

We let her kool down for 30 minutes and then hit 515 rwhp sae (527 std) . This made me feel a lil better as she was 40 rwhp over the stock cam and 28 rwhp over the comp coupe cam. Honestly this was about the best I was expecting. Heres the 527 std dyno from the 30 minute cooled down engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI8EE4CnT5Q

Happy with the 527 std dyno I went home with a smile only to be called by the dyno operater the next day and being told that they found metal catalyst shavings all over their dyno. Checked my car and sure enough their were metal catalyst shavings all over. Went back 3 days later and the dyno operater gutted my cats and threw her back on the dyno. The first pull resulted in 530 sae (543 std) I was now very happy as this was 56 rwhp over my stock cam and 44 rwhp over my comp coupe cam.

Never got a video of this dyno run as we immediately loaded a new sct tune sent from Sean Roe at Roeracing titled 710ver2. Sean told me this tune would eliminate the car from running so rich over the first tune he sent me (710ver1).

We threw her back on the dyno after a 30 minute kool down and to my disbelief she hit 543 sae and 556 std. A 69 rwhp gain over my stock cam and 57 rwhp gain over my comp coupe cam.

Here is the dyno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3S3W2d4oqA

There you have it the 710 camshaft is for real, crazy thing is I think theirs still more. My spark plugs have been giving me some trouble from running to rich from the first tune Sean sent me (low 11s AFR) as well as the wires have been coming disconnected from the plugs frequently since the install of the 710 cam. Im going to have the dynoshop install fresh plugs and dyno again.

Last edited:

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really good to read stories like this - truly inspiring - thanks Twister. :2tu:

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed plum... Rich tune/clogged cats and loose plug wires. Though I never had a problem with the cats till the tune and loose plug wires.

Last edited:

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drives like a stocker. My cam installer whos done 1000s of cams in american cars (fourth cam job hes done for me) stated that he was expecting it to be wilder and that if drivability is this good then they could easily change the profile a lil to make another 15 rwhp and be completely streetable. Im gonna make a vid of me driving her to give you an idea.

Thats what I was thinking. Since you say this cam drives like stock, I dont think most would mind losing a bit of "streetability" to pick up some more power. Maybe ask Sean what he thinks of this.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister, ask the dyno operator to send you the DRF run files and I can put together a nice before/after chart for you that shows all your gains.

Great work and I'm glad to see that with the cats removed and a revised tune it picked up as much as it did. Seems like a healthy gain and well worth the pick up.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My heads/cam build is about 4 weeks out. Hope this is just a matter of your plug wires coming loose as posted in another thread. Getting nervous.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Naaaa. The cam did exactly what roeracing said it would do.... This if from abs wires literally popping off... ***** to be me but hopefully an easy fix... Even withthe stock cam running around on 7 cylinders is gonna hurt somthi g.... Lol