finally dyno'ed the car

Serpent 97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
finally dyno\'ed the car

The mods on my car are as follows,Belanger headers and cat back,Random tech hi-flow cats,smooth tubes,K&N filters and 3:55 gears.The first run was 400 rwhp in 3rd gear.Then we made 4 more runs in 4th.The first run in 4th netted 434 rwhp,and the remaining 3 pulls netted 435.Unfortunately the Dynojet wasn't able to give any torque readings.On the last run the dyno gave a torque reading of about 950 rwtq(wish that was true).I will try and post the dyno graph for the hp readings as soon as I get them.I guess my car isn't one of the stronger ones out there.Btw,all the numbers are corrected.Oops,forgot to mention that my car is a 97 GTS with about 17000 km,which is about 11000 miles.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: finally dyno\'ed the car

The dyno measures torque and uses the formula,
hp=(lbft x rpm)/5252
If you have the hp number at a given rpm you can figure the torque number.
If you look at any hp vs torque chart, you will see that the number of ftlb will = the number of hp at 5252rpm. The torque and hp peaks will be whereever they turn out to be, but the lines will always cross at 5252rpm.
Here's a link...http://www.howstuffworks.com/horsepower2.htm

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hopefully those pulls were free since you didn't get the torque reading.

Be that as it may, using the formula (RWHP * 1.14) = HP at the flywheel, your car is 495.9 at the flywheel. Not bad, eh?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you use 1.14 as a factor, you are saying that there is 14% loss in the drivetrain. This may be true but I have always wondered what happened to all the lost power. It must have been lost as heat since there isn't much sound or light produced by a drivetrain. If you have a 450hp engine then 14% would be 63hp. That 63hp is = to 47,000 watts and that is = to 160,335 BTU. I always wondered where all of it is going. Where's the heat?

OP
OP
S

Serpent 97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the hp/torque formula guys.Paul,those pulls were free,although the numbers aren't to bad,I was hoping for aobut 450@the wheels.I guess the Belanger set-up isn't all that great for my car,eh?
smile.gif

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's still about 500hp at the crank, so it's not bad getting a 40-50hp gain from your mods.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Serpent 97,

Your numbers are very consistent with other gen 2 vipers and you should be happy.

The torque reading of 950 is simple to convert, the dyno jet opperator had the wrong ignition settings for your car. For some reason Dodge changed the ignition setup at a certain point on Gen 2 cars.

Anyways for your car just divide the torque number by 2, which means you pulled 475 torque.

OP
OP
S

Serpent 97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Russ,the dyno operator was saying the reason that we couldn't get torque reading was because the rpm's kept bouncing up and down.It couldn't get a steady reading,(something along those lines).I'll have to ask him to explain it again.That was my first trip at the dyno.I hope to have the graphs within the next day or two so I can post them for all to see.Thanks,Mike.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine