Finally lowered my seat!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I think I'm going to love it!

When I was car shopping in 08 I wanted to pick up a gen 1 that had the 3 piece top from Mach 7. Having done the research I knew I would need to lower my seat to fit better because I'm 6'3". Well last weekend I finally got around to making it happen.

My plan was to design and build the brackets with some help from a couple friends. Here are some pics.

A front bracket taking shape.
You must be registered for see images attach

A rear bracket taking shape.

Alternate view of a front bracket showing the nut welded to the top. This was done to ease the installation. The side piece has also been welded on for increased strength.

Completed brackets after some paint.

Brackets test fit to the seat.

As the installation back into the car began, I hit a little snag. The ledge next to where the seat belt buckle mounts was keeping the seat too high. In an attempt to make the seat clear, I moved it laterally towards the outside of the car. I tried to line up all the bolts visibly to see if I had enough "slack" in the brackets to make it work. After a quick look I tightened the rear brackets to the floor and gave it a try. Luckily it worked. In this picture you can see how the brackets are tilted. The back left in the picture is pointed to the right and the front brackets are pointed to the left.

And a comparison to the stock height.

I haven't driven it yet but it feels better just sitting in it. I can't wait to get it back on the road in the spring to fully feel the affects. And hopefully my head no longer sticks out the top of the car with the top off :)

Special thanks to Rob & Josh for giving up a Saturday afternoon to build the brackets. Couldn't have done it without them.

:drive:

snakestress

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be nice to have these problems :rolleyes:

I am 5'0 and still trying to figure out what to do with my seats other than putting in a booster seat. :lmao:

G

Gotvenom 08

Stretch

Well done and now you don't have to worry about your head hitting the bugs anymore,since it no longer sticks above the windshield.:D

Nice write up too.:2tu:

T

OP
OP
S

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, this is a fixed location bracket. I looked into getting that sliding one from Summit from a previous thread you had mentioned it, but I got caught dragging my feet. My friend told me on a Thursday he was marking that Saturday as a garage day, so I said I guess that means I'm pulling the seat that morning.

I had seen the products that were available for sale but I tried going the cheaper route first. I'm in for $28 bucks so far including pizza for the two helpers :)

snakestress, good luck with your dilemma. It may beat your head sticking out of the vehicle... I look pretty ridiculous in pictures because of it :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62