Fire extinguisher placement

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys carry fire extinguishers in your car? If you do, where would be the safest place for it? I have seen many right behind the persons head attached to a roll bar but isnt that a bad idea if you get in an accident?
The person I originally bought my car from placed it right in front of the drivers seat. Easy to access incase of emergency and not a bad spot if it becomes a projectile. What do you guys think?

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mine right in front of driver's seat. It doesn't get in the way. I think I bought the bracket to hold it from Roe Racing. A $10 extingusher saved my 100K+ viper. Makes sense to have one.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
We have the Roe Racing product mounted in our Vipers...Gen I, II, III....and we are very happy with the placement in front of the passenger seat as it can be easily reached from the driver's position.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the Roe unit described above in my car. IMHO, it stuck out a little too far in front of the seat. I drilled new holes so it sits back a little closer to the seat, still accessible. Perfect! :2tu:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I spent about 20 minutes making a bracket out of aluminum stock, attached it to the stock halon extinguisher bracket, and mounted the assembly to the driver's front seat bolts, about 4" in front of the drivers seat - I don't even notice it there, and I still have full access to the seat front/back adjustment. I drape the floor mat over it, and you can't even tell its there (other than the huge lump under the mat :cool).

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does cold weather affect the extinguisher working after being stored in an unheated garage all winter?

Most are simply a compressed gas. Should be no long term impact of cold storage. Only thing noticeable is when cold the internal pressure may be reduced a little. Pressure comes right back when the leaves turn green in the Spring.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got mine in front of the passenger seat. Easy to reach IF you have stock belts on, but you're not getting anywhere near it with 6-points buckled up...

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive got a large Co2 extinguisher in the trunk of my GTS. I simply put a strap around it which is mounted around the spare wheel thred. Having had a engine fire on my old Cobra, I can tell you from first hand experence that those silly little fire extinguishers are a waste of time! You will be amazed how quickly a fire can spread on a car! I will see if I can find a pic of how Its mounted.

bvk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got mine in front of the passenger seat. Easy to reach IF you have stock belts on, but you're not getting anywhere near it with 6-points buckled up...

yeah exactly. mine is mounted on the parcel shelf behind the headrests. i didn't put it there but i might move it as although its solidly mounted and i can reach it while in a 5 or 6 point i don't want it coming loose and going out the windscreen through my head if i run into something stationary.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If my car lights up, I don't know that I want to try and save it - I'll let my Insurance REPLACE it...

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I guess the point here is you need one in the car. If your going to do any track driving then it needs to be mounted securely to your car were you can reach it. Not a strap in the back. If per chance you are stuck in the car and it catches fire I hope you have long arms to reach in the back and get the big extinguisher.
Dave's Big Brakes sells a few different versions with fire extinguisher already attached.
Simple easy protection. Insurance will not fix your body! Cheaper insurance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc