First Drive . . .

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been doing some research in the hopes of ordering a 2004 or 2005 Viper SRT-10. Last weekend a local dealer had a red 2003 on the floor and kindly took me for a ride. My "baseline" for making comparisons is my daily drivr, a 2002 BMW M5. My initial impressions of first walking around and inspecting the exterior and interior was that fit and finish was quite good. The interior was well laid out and clearly Dodge has focused resources on those apsects of the car that relate directly to driver involvement (the seats, steering wheel, guages, etc.) Then came the drive. Not wanting to abuse the car, I took a few fairly strong dips ino the throttle in second gear going about 40-50 mph. The acceleration was simply amazing: The first time I had my head leaned slightly forward to check my blind spot and I literally pulled some muscles in my neck. At the end of the third and fourth runs I was cackling like a madman (muuuhaaahhaaahaaahhhaaa!). We then took the car out on the highway for about 45 minutes. Again, amazing response and handling although I notices that the car wanted to follow road irregularities. Thus, it was necessary to have both hands on the wheel and full concentration at all times which, for a driver's car, is perfectly appropriate. I did not notice a marked hear issue although I noticed the salesperson had the ac on even with the top down and there was just a very mild warmth in the passenger footwell. The ambient temp that day was about 80-85 degrees F. When we got back to the dealership the side sills were not really hot, just warm to the touch.

Overall, a fantastic car; this test drive just confirmed that this car offers some of the best bang for the buck in the "supercar" class (Porsche Turbo, GT2, Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc.) while offering some feature that, to me, make it a class of one: American-made (although I have been buying German cars lately I have always, since a pre-teen, had a love affair with American muscle cars ('71 Cuda, L-88 Vettes, Yenko Camaros, etc.) and a true convertible.

Just some questions:

1) I think I will be ordering a black SRT-10 and noticed that the only current interior color option is black. This wouldn't be bad but I was hoping to have the option of adding some color to the interior. Any truth to the rumors that there will be an option in the near future for another color or a two-tone interior? I know that Startech (a division of Brabus in Germany) offers some nice interior upgrades but I am hoping for an OEM option.

2) I do a lot of heel and toe double clutch downshifting even in normal driving and noticed that while I could do it in the Viper, it wasn't as easy as in the M5. The brake and throttle pedals seemed a little small and my size 10.5 right foot kept occasionally slipping off the brake or throttle pedal. The dead pedal also struck me as a little small. Is there an aftermarket (or better yet) an OEM fix in the works?

3) I do the occasional track day and my quick assessment of the roll hoops at the backs of the seats was that this would not pass muster for track days (you need a certain level of clearance above a helmeted head). Is there an aftermarket option such as a roll hop that can be added to the car without permanent welding or bonding?

4) The seats were amazingly well bolstered, almost too much so. I am only 6' 200 lb and don't believe I have an unusually wide back (my ass, I have been told, is a different story). However, I found that up high, near the latissimus dorsi ("lats" for the gymheads out there), the side bolsters actually pinched a little. Have others experienced this and do the seats break in or is there some other way to adjust the seats?

Thanks for any insights you can provide. Again, amazing car and a great forum.

/Rich

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, this is totally off the topic of my original post but I am a huge fan of motorsports and have been following a race series on the Speed Channel called Speed World Challenge (sort of like Touring Car and FIA GT2 racing in Europe). I noticed in a GT-class race a few weeks ago (Road Atlanta? Sears Point? ) there was a new contingent of the new Viper Competition Coupes that were doing quite well against the Z06 Corvettes, BMWs Porsches and Audis. However, a Z06 vette driven by Phil McClure had a bad accident, taking out several cars including a few of the Vipers. One of the Vipers taken out was driven by, I believe, a guy named Bob Woodhouse. Is this the same Woodhouse who is also a car dealer? In either event, does anyone know if Bob was injured? It was a pretty horrible crash and I think the vette driver suffered a concussion.

Thanks,

/Rich

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write-up! If you are not in stop and go traffic, the sills won't get hot. In traffic they become untouchable. I have no mufflers (straight pipes) and this has made the sills a lot cooler than before, but they will still hurt after city driving, cruising, or giving rides. I also heard about another interior color scheme, no word from DC yet. I personally like the black, but think the center console needs some jazzing up, maybe carbon fiber or aluminum. I understand the seats, they fit me perfectly (6' 160lbs) and I can see how the bolsters would be tight for some. I think a couple people here have suggestions about bending the upper frame outward. My car used to follow ruts in the road like a hounddog, but after the tires warm and lowering the pressure to 26psi cold, it's much better. After jumping out of an M5, the pedals in the SRT feel awkward.....so I tried the reverse. After an hour in the SRT, jumping into an M5 felt strange! Different, but once you get used to them, both have +++ and ---. The deal pedal is adjustable, and I moved mine all the way towards the firewall. I think it's connected to the cats, do not touch after driving!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich -

I agree, great write up! In answer to your questions, I will take a shot at them:

1. No alternate interior colors available as of this writing, but like many, have heard the rumors something may be offered. Note that the Viper has always been offered with monotone colors, although beginning in 1999 you could choose between all black or the premium Connolly Cognac leather for an addtional $750.

2. I don't anticipate that there will be any OEM changes to the pedal setup. I am not crazy about the dead pedal as it is still too close even when back as far as it goes (I am 6' as well). I don't do much heel-to-toe, so I am afraid I can't add much insight there. Never had a problem with slippage off the pedal in any conditions with my size 11 feet.

3. The roll hoops are largely decorative from the factory. Autoform makes a "legal" roll bar which can be bolted in and includes the rear panel behind the seats so that you don't need to modify your existing interior other than removing the factory panel. I have seen a couple at the track.

4. I am also 6' and weigh more than you (quite a bit, I am sorry to say). I find the seats to fit perfectly. Nonetheless, one of the folks here had a picture of a "naked" seat and the bolsters are actually a thick wire surrounded by padding:

SeatFrameforSRT10Uncovered.jpg

Given that, I would think that a little effort could push the bolsters out a bit for a better fit. I haven't tried, as I like them just as they are.

Finally, your question on Bob Woodhouse: I believe he broke his hand and got some other assorted bumps and bruises. Otherwise, he is the same rascally Viper owner/racer he has always been. And he is indeed one and the same as Woodhouse Dodge. When you are ready to buy, you MUST give them a shot at your business as thousands of other happy Viper owners have done (they sold me both my GTS and SRT-10). Bill Pemberton is Bob's right hand Viper man and a heck of a guy in his own right. Woodhouse can be reached at 800-889-1893. I suspect they could also answer your questions a bit better than I have.

We look forward to having you join the Viper Nation soon!

Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960