First launch on MT Drag Radials

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Tried out a set of the new Mickey Thompson Drag Radials Saturday at the Central Florida VCA drag race. My first two launches with the tires still slick with that factory new greasy feeling were 1.67 and 1.62 60 foot. Gainesville is a great track but for some reason they were conserving water, they don't really have a water box, they just wet the cement down in front of the burnout area. I couldn't get a good burnout, these tires just kept hooking and over powering the line lock. The clutch took a beating, but on a day with a 15-20 mph head wind and 85+ degrees I was able to muster a 10.90 at 134 mph. On the first Launch I left at 3500 rpm, the car bogged. Next launch I left at 4000 rpm and again the car bogged. Both of these without a good heat cycle in the burnout box, I think they might handle 4300-4500 rpm launch with a few more runs and a 5-6 second burnout. I'll try to track the car again in the next few weeks and I am expecting even better results. The car was very stable at the top end no wavering.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice

what size are they, how many lbs of boost are you running and what psi were the slicks at?

thanks for the good post.

vd..

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Nice

what size are they, how many lbs of boost are you running and what psi were the slicks at?

thanks for the good post.

vd..

They are the 255x50R16 ET Street Radials. I ran them at 24 psi first, then 20 psi later, however I found that my air gauge may be broken so those numbers may not be exact. I have as stock creampuff motor, thus I am only running 5 PSI pulley on the Roe with a 50 shot of nitrous to cool down the intake charge. I think on the next outing I will get into the 1.50s on the sixty foot, these tires seem to really hook, my BFGs have never bogged out of the hole at 4000 rpm, they either hook or spin. These MT tires were bogging at 4000 rpm.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...50 shot of nitrous to cool down the intake charge
That's a nice way to put it :) .. Didn't you say that added like 100rwhp & 6-8mph in one of your previous posts?

What was your previous best 60' on BFGs?

M/T does have a 17" Drag Radial, and is due to come with an 18" in the Spring. John's 16" is actually taller than the 17" M/T if I read their website correctly.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.html (click on ET Street Radial)

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
...50 shot of nitrous to cool down the intake charge
That's a nice way to put it :) .. Didn't you say that added like 100rwhp & 6-8mph in one of your previous posts?

Maybe approx. 50 hp shot is a better way to put it. However we have seen on the Roe Superchargers that we get more horsepower and torque than the specific shot of nitrous number, the Nitrous definitely helps the supercharger work to its full potential. I picked up 100 hp and 140 pounds of torque with a 50-75 shot. Tuning is everything, Macedo told me at the track the other day that my airfuel is so conservative that he could up the nitrous on my car if I so desire. Hmmm, maybe this would be good for Bradenton. Watch out Go-kart-king.

On the BFG's I have been down to 1.50-1.51 on the 60 foot, maybe 1.49 once can't remember if it was the BFGS or the ET Streets. I have been in the consistent high 150s and low 160s with the BFGS. The BFG is a good tire, I need more testing to know, this MT drag radial just seems to bite harder.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great 60' times ! Those 16 inchers could offer better grip due to being 26.1" tall yet on a 16" rim. The tall(er) sidewall might flex better once you lower air pressure more and give a better footprint.

What rim are you using with those 16s?

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
FE 065,

I am running a CCW 16x10 Rim with the MT Drag Radial. For the BFGs' I have a CCW 18X13. I agree, the sidewall is much thicker on the 16" tire over the 17" or 18" Hopefully next time out I will get even better results, I'll try 15 PSI in the tires and see how that works.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe approx. 50 hp shot is a better way to put it. However we have seen on the Roe Superchargers that we get more horsepower and torque than the specific shot of nitrous number, the Nitrous definitely helps the supercharger work to its full potential. I picked up 100 hp and 140 pounds of torque with a 50-75 shot. Tuning is everything, Macedo told me at the track the other day that my airfuel is so conservative that he could up the nitrous on my car if I so desire. Hmmm, maybe this would be good for Bradenton. Watch out Go-kart-king.

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may have to re-think waiting on the 18" M/T ET Radials and go with the 16" instead.

M/T has a warning on their website about using those tires for normal highway use.. I've written them to see if it's okay to drive to the strip with them on the car :p

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I may have to re-think waiting on the 18" M/T ET Radials and go with the 16" instead.

M/T has a warning on their website about using those tires for normal highway use.. I've written them to see if it's okay to drive to the strip with them on the car :p

FE,

I think they would be ok for short trips back and forth to the track. I drove about 10-15 miles the other night on them, front steering is very sensitive. I would not suggest taking any turns fast, but I throttled up pretty hard onto the highway and they were fine. I cruised at about 70 mph, lane changes take a soft touch. I would guess that they are no good for the rain.

DynoDaddy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The MT ET radials are fine for use on the street as long as you have sufficent tire pressure in them. THe car will feel very loose if you only have 10-12lbs in them.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the street use feedback. Short of building a tire trailer, I'd have to drive them to the strip 50 miles each way. 80% of it freeway.

Edgar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fuelman can you share your source for the tires? I know a few folks look for that same size and are unable to get a set.

DynoDaddy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you do not need skinnies on the front when running any type of tires. Full slick, MT drag radial, ect. Skinnies will usually shave about .1 to .2 seconds off of your time due to the reduced weight, reduced rotational mass, and improved aerodynamics.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
M/T tires wrote back and said, "Some highway use is ok. Just not excessive use. And not more than 60-65 mph.

The tires we've been discussing here are radials, so of course you can use them with OEM radials. But there have been severe warnings here about mixing them with nylon slicks in the back.

George Bryce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno Daddy, If you have not run in the tens in a Viper with slicks on the rear and your stockers on the front. I would say do not try it. I drove a car for big daddy CAPLOCK at the drags with this tire combo once.....I showed them both doors from the starting line in 3rd gear.
After I changed my shorts, :shocked: I said let's get some skinnies on here before we need some paint work! GB3

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George are you saying don't run radial slicks with stockers in the front? You can't be suggesting bias play skinnies and radial slicks, could you?

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Edgar,

I bought them from Jegs. Just go to Jegs.com and look under tires. They had all the sizes. I did run them with skinnies up front in the 1/4 mile and the stock Michelins up front on the street. They did fine with both, I have not raced them with the Michelins up front, but I suspect in a straight line they will be fine with good control.

Edgar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah I know they have had them on the list but when you order they were telling folks they are back ordered.

I will let folks know that the 16's have started shipping

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuelman....out of curiousity, did you upgrade your half shafts, or are they still stock? I am just wondering if going to a drag radial of any type requires an upgrade. Thanks!

Frank :usa:

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Fuelman....out of curiousity, did you upgrade your half shafts, or are they still stock? I am just wondering if going to a drag radial of any type requires an upgrade. Thanks!

Frank :usa:

I upgraded to M2 heavy duty shafts when I did the supercharger. I broke one halfshaft last year when I had one tire wet and another dry, the dry tire hooked and snapped the shaft, driver error. They have held up very well, if you are gonna launchg above 3500 rpm I would suggest anyone upgrade, regardless of mods. AT Gainesville this weekend we had a stock GTS snap a halfshaft.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960