First Oil Change

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My local dealer performed the first oil change on my new SRT-10. I decided to have it changed at 350 miles since I've heard some say change it after the first 200 miles, and others say after 500.

Anyhow the owners manual (and oil filler cap) states to fill it with Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-40. I just looked at my receipt when I got home and it says the tech used 10W-30 synthetic. :hitfan: Should I be concerned about this? I live in florida, so I don't need to worry about cold climates.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We suggest changing it at around 500 miles, the first time. Obviously your Dealer hasn't kept up with what DC recommends, and the funny part is that it is even printed on the oil cap. Previously Vipers used the 10-30W , but 0-40 is now recommended and frankly is better in the warmer climes. It will not hurt it, but you might wander back in , have them read what it states on the oil cap and see if they will give you a discount on the service instead of changing out 11 quarts of fresh oil.

Good question and you found the right answer.

Best of luck with your new Snake.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Viper :2tu:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bill (or anyone), should I switch to 0-40 in my Snake? I know 10w30 was recommended on 96' RT/10s, but is 0-40 now what I should be buying? I live in GA, so we get our share of warm weather as well. TIA!

OP
OP
toomanymodz

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a quick update - When I started it up today, I noticed that the oil pressure was a bit higher than before. It was leaning towards the 100 psi mark, so I kept the RPM's as low as possible until it warmed up a bit. I'm assuming that the 10W-30 is a bit thicker (when cold) compared to the 0W-40 that was previously in the engine.

I called the dealer today and sure enough, they were not aware that the 2006 snake required 0W-40. They had me bring the car back in and they changed it out. Seems like a waste to throw away 10 quarts of new synthetic, but if the DC engineers state to run 0W-40, then they must have reasons for this. I think the dealer insisted that I bring it in, simply because if something were to go wrong with the engine, they'd be on the 'hot seat' for putting the wrong oil in it.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Matt. Sorry about your dealer's problem. For the record, Mobil 1 0W-40 has been the "factory fill" for MORE than the 2006 model year...and, in MY opinion, a competent Ddealer/Viper Tech should know same.

Admittedly, the Viper (all years) has a very complex set of fluid schedules for the various years...BUT, a real pro should know that...and be able to determine same through the "system".

Given the problems that have surfaced(and to continue surface) with "oiling/bearing issues" in SRT-10's...I personally would demand that said oil be removed and the filter changed (while you watch to be sure that they use the correct components) at the dealer's expense while doccumenting the issue at the dealer AND through Dodge Customer Service.

I LOVE Vipers, but they are NOT bullet proof...so why take a chance with the Viper, its warranty...or worse yet, AFTER the warranty is over...just my opinion.

Good luck...and ENJOY your GREAT CAR !!!!!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We suggest changing it at around 500 miles, the first time. Obviously your Dealer hasn't kept up with what DC recommends, and the funny part is that it is even printed on the oil cap. Previously Vipers used the 10-30W , but 0-40 is now recommended and frankly is better in the warmer climes. It will not hurt it, but you might wander back in , have them read what it states on the oil cap and see if they will give you a discount on the service instead of changing out 11 quarts of fresh oil.

Good question and you found the right answer.

Best of luck with your new Snake.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Viper :2tu:

Hi Bill,

Do you feel that 2003 vipers that call for 10-30W would benifit from switching over to 0-40 or should they stay with 10-30w?

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone on the board indicated that DC changed the rod bearings in 05 and 06 vipers. They said that the clearances were opened up so at idle the oil pressure was lower. Also the bearing material was changed. Maybe that is the reason 0-40w is called for.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone on the board indicated that DC changed the rod bearings in 05 and 06 vipers. They said that the clearances were opened up so at idle the oil pressure was lower. Also the bearing material was changed. Maybe that is the reason 0-40w is called for.

i am sure we all would like to hear Chuck Tator's comments on this matter. how about it Chuck?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We are using 0-40 on the Vipers almost exclusively now, and it is what DC is recommending in the SRT8s, and SRT6s.

From talking to an engineer on the issue over a year ago, it has more to do with the properties of the 0-40 in the broader heat range. Years ago folks said a large heat range oil would not function as well as one in a tighter band, but like everything in life , businesses ( Corporations, etc ) are always improving products. Lower viscosity is better for startup, and the higher temp rating is better for the warm climes. Not a petrochemical expert here, just a short synopsis of what I was told, so hope this helps a bit?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The first 06 that I drove had oil pressure of only 25 at idle and went up to 50 ish while spinnning 3K and up. Kinda scared me. The 04 that I normally drive ran much higher when stock and my GTS runs about 55 all the time.

They must have changed the bearing, clearances or oil pump / pressure set up. Does anyone know how or why?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Viper X-

The 2003/2004 cars use a 120 degree oil groove main, while the 2005+ cars use a 180 degree main bearing. This was done because of the oil starvation issues, as 120's technically oil the rods for approx 80% of every rotation, while 180 degree mains oil 100% of the rotation. This increase in much needed oil flow causes the lower oil pressure seen in the 2005+ cars. The Bearing Material and Clearances did not change. The rule of thumb is 10PSI per 1K RPM, so 25 PSI is WAY more than fine @ idle. There is still plenty of flow left, as I am running 180 mains in a custom engine that has Forced Pin Oiling, as well as lifters that have oil gallers to the rollers (this means I have 30 galleries more than a stock engine to oil) and I am still able to retain 15 PSI at idle with 0W-40, or 20-25 PSI at idle w/15W-50. Dropping the fan cycle to 185 and bumping idle to 800 also causes a nice increase, to about 30-35 PSI w/ 15W-50.

Do not be afraid to run 15W-50 in these Gen-3 engines. since they have a heat exchanger, the oil temps cannot drop to the point of causing an issue, even in winter temps, just give a little more warm-up time in cold weather.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To both Bill and Final GTS, Thank you for your response.

Quote from Bill: "We are using 0-40 on the Vipers almost exclusively now, and it is what DC is recommending in the SRT8s, and SRT6s."

Does this mean that one should be switching over to 0W-40 oil in the 2003 SRT-10 Vipers that call for 10W-30 oil?

With the 10W-30 I pin the oil pressure gauge at startup.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To both Bill and Final GTS, Thank you for your response.

Quote from Bill: "We are using 0-40 on the Vipers almost exclusively now, and it is what DC is recommending in the SRT8s, and SRT6s."

Does this mean that one should be switching over to 0W-40 oil in the 2003 SRT-10 Vipers that call for 10W-30 oil?

With the 10W-30 I pin the oil pressure gauge at startup.

I would recommend switching. 0W-40 is a much better oil for the viper application and temp ranges.

Robbie- you car pins the gauge because it has a incorrect sweep for the pressure range. 2004+ cars have a revised side gauge cluster in order to correct the issue with the sweeps.

ZDigital1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Future Oil Changes???

Speaking of oil changes, what is recommended for future changes. I have been changing every 1800 to 2000 miles since the car is 3 years old and only has 4500 miles on it. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To be covered by your factory warranty you need to follow the factory recommendations and keep all your reciepts.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

>> From talking to an engineer on the issue over a year ago, it has more to do with the properties of the 0-40 in the broader heat range. Years ago folks said a large heat range oil would not function as well as one in a tighter band, but like everything in life , businesses ( Corporations, etc ) are always improving products. Lower viscosity is better for startup, and the higher temp rating is better for the warm climes. Not a petrochemical expert here, just a short synopsis of what I was told, so hope this helps a bit? <<

Bill gets an "A". To formulate a 0W40 with mineral oil you would have tremendous oil volatility issues (oil would evaporate and look like lots of blowby) and the large treat rate of viscosity index improver would risk shearing out of grade. Consequently a 0W40 is always a synthetic. A 10W30 can be easily made with mineral oils (and is kind of a waste of a synthetic base oil to make into a 10W30.)

To be covered by your factory warranty, you need to show that the failure was due to the "factory." If a lifter or piston fails due to mechanical reasons, an OEM cannot deny your claim because you used an oil of a different kind. Example- Toyota is going through this because engines were sludging up and blocking oil drain back passages, no matter what oil was used. Even though it was oil-related, the cause was mechanical.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am a big fan of thicker 15w-50 oil in most performance cars (Corvette and 911). Will 15w-50 be better than 0w-40 for my 06 Viper? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Flash

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Flash, I have used 15w-50 Mobil 1 for years in all kinds of gasoline engines but have not used it in a viper. From lawn mowers, to boats, to motorcycles and cars I never had a problem with 15w-50 Mobil 1. I would ask Tom,F&L,GoR, above this question and ask him tot his answer for all of us.

05yellowSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have been using 15W-50 Mobil 1 for 6 months now. Really quiets the valve train when hot. I'm in the PNW and generally don't drive during winter, so cold weather start up is not an issue for me
Gerald

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

15-50 is what is specified for the Comp Coupe. Remember, this is a basically stock motor but they are beat on during a race...with hot tempatures all around. This is why they specify it. I run 0-40 with no problems on my '06 SRT-C and lots of HPD days with zero problems after 5K miles.