First Performance shoot-out for the SRT-10

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soon at Edmunds.com. Check the site for details.

Take care, Mike. :cool:

EDIT: Look under "2003 American Exotics Comparison Test".

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any hints on the results?

It just says "Check back later this month", which is both tempting and frustrating. :laugh: :(

-Dean.

OP
OP
M

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: First Performance shoot-out for the SRT-10(UPDATE)

Its now online.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WARNING - SPOILERS BELOW - DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW THE OUTCOME.

The Viper gets SCREWED again. They gave it 2nd place to the Z06. The standard excuses were used "Oh the Viper rode the roughest of them all" and "the clutch is too stiff".

The Viper put up 0-60 in 4.0 seconds flat. It did the quarter in 12.0 at "over 120mph". Edmunds said these were the fastest numbers in their respective categories they had EVER tested. The 60-0 was done in 125 feet, BUT, they said this car had a problem with the ABS system that prevented them from getting accurate numbers.

In comparison, their numbers on the Z06 were 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, and the quarter in 12.9 seconds. 60-0 was 107 feet or so.

They also said the Viper had the best stereo, but overall they said it was too stiff and rough riding, and without much comfort, and concluded that if you want rough riding and sharp looks, you would be better with a european exotic (which also costs twice as much if not more).

This would not bother me, EXCEPT these cars are supposed to be PERFORMANCE cars and I will never understand why they do not rank them on performance. Given that they seem to ignore the price factors, and comfort weighs in so heavily, I bet an SL55 or CL55 would have won the test hands down.

Another bunch of guys who don't grok what performance cars are supposed to be about.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike, I agree completely. I cannot for the life of me understand why they would not get the ABS fixed before evaluating the brakes. They mentioned replacing the tires on another car. Back to back test of 4.6 vs 4.0 and 12.9 vs 12.0 makes the Z06 sound like it is in a different league performance wise (i.e. the grapefruit league).

Also, for the more computer illiterate, what is "grok?"

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Okay, I see it , read it but ... I take it that it was a made up word for a novel that has gained prominence in some parts. Guess I am aging myself.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper SRT,

Actually, I am not nearly so learned that I knew it came from a novel... I just used to work with some old farts that said it and I guess it stuck.

On the other hand, it's from a 1961 novel... I wasn't born until '76, so for me this is all ancient history :)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, as usual for a magazine, they got it wrong.

This what they show:
Dodge Viper 8.3L 500 11 21
Cadillac Escalade ESV 6.0L 345 12 16
Lincoln Navigator 5.4L 300 12 17
Land Rover Range Rover 4.4L 282 12 17
Cadillac Escalade EXT 6.0L 345 12 16
GMC Sierra Denali 6.0L 325 12 16
Land Rover Discovery 4.6L 217 12 16
GMC Yukon Denali 6.0L 320 12 (2002) 15
Mercedes-Benz G-Class 5.0L 292 12 (2002) 14

The label on my SRT shows 12/21 which would move it to ninth place, with most of the worst offenders SUV's. Cannot understand why they miss cars like the H2, which have even worse fuel economy.

OP
OP
M

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had heard that one of the magazines had recently gotten a 11.6 or 11.7 at over 120 mph in the 1/4 mile on stock Michelins.

Which? When? How? I'm "collecting" Viper stuff( Diecast models, magazines, and other things like that). If true, this is a most have. :usa:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The point of comparing these three cars together is to show that each of these American cars have evolved into amazing high performance vehicles, each great in their respective price ranges.

It is unfortunate that they picked broken cars, couldn't drive them too well, and nit-picked about things like the interiors, which are just fine already for most people who would buy these cars.

Specifically on the SRT-10 Viper, It's most likely that they just tested one of the heavily worn test mule prototype cars, which would explain the complaints about the sidepipe heat comments. But it's goofy that they didn't get the ABS fixed.

At least they got a test out. But I'm looking forward to seeing some tests of the actual production SRT-10 Vipers against cars like the Lambo Murcielago, Porsche GT2, Ferrari 360 on both 1/4 mile and roadrace tracks. :laugh:

-Dean.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember when the Z06 first came out. Motor Trend did an write up called "Speed Wars". It compared the Z06, M3 and Boxster S. The Z06 won every performance categorey, (tied in the slalom with the M3). They gave the title to the M3 because of the rear seats and better fit and finish :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

These magazines never cease to amaze me.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Road and Track, Automobile, Autoweek.

C&D is ok from the sports car enthusiast perspective, Motor Trend is soccer mom oriented. The ones above are "ok".

Car from Europe is also good; but they give the Viper only 1.5/5 stars because it is the European "weak" version.

On a side note, I have two of the "top" cars on that list. I pump money over to the Middle East with quite frequent regularity...unfortunately.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Soeaking of the middle east, I heard on TV the other night that C&D and R&T were owned by a group from BAHGDAD...MT wasn't. It could have been the show MT Television.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960