First race....kinda ....

HawkeyeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok this probably is trivial to some but...I was coming back from a football game yesterday, doing between 85 and 90 most of the way home. I came up on a Porsche 911, on a long stretch of highway with no other traffic around. I rapidly approached the Porsche and pulled into the left lane....I noticed he must have "tapped" off his cruise control and he started to speed up, like he wasn't going to let me pass him.....YEAH RIGHT!!!
smile.gif

I pull up beside him, by this time we are both doing about 95-100. He looks over and gives this smug grin, and I see his right shoulder dip as he downshifts and starts to accelerate hard.......my wife was in the car so I'm usually a little more of a "considerate driver" when she is around, so I was going to let it go when she turns to me and says..."Are you going to let him go?".....that's all I needed!!! The Porsche is about 40-50 yards ahead by this time.....I throw down into fourth and feel the G-force......we passed the Porsche at about 120......my wife was kind enough to give him a little wave as we passed.....he stopped chasing at about 140......huge rush!!!! That is the fastest I've had the Viper run yet....also don't want to lose my license over it though
smile.gif
(I'm glad I invested in a Valentine One)

Just had to share!

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hawkeye, nice job congrats.

You would have caught him even faster downshifting into 3rd. There are guys on here with MUCH more experience than I who can inform you. Just 'blip' the gas to get the RPMS up before putting it into gear.

S

SUN RA KAT

For the price of a Porsche he coulda had a V10!

The Viper is so much more car than the Porsche that I find it hard to believe people still buy these in the numbers I see. The Turbo is parallel equal to the Viper, but at a much higher price and worthy of consideration as an alternative to a Viper, but the "911" basic series doesn't come close to the value of a stock Viper.

If this be Flame Bait, then add "IMO" to the above statement.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trivial! Great post. I think that is a standard "smug grin" among Porsche owners! God I hate that!
<FONT size="1">(As others have said....great wife too
smile.gif
)</FONT s>
BTW: Was your hard top on or off? <FONT size="1">(please don't tell me you were doing 140 MPH with the soft top
eek.gif
)</FONT s>

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would have been better if you let him go. Then he would know your balls are so big not to even waste the time. Pushing your right foot isn't racing.

No offense. Glad you had fun. Really glad no one got hurt.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DanElam:
It would have been better if you let him go. Then he would know your balls are so big not to even waste the time. Pushing your right foot isn't racing.

No offense. Glad you had fun. Really glad no one got hurt.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

party pooper... Go read a book

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"my wife was kind enough to give him a little wave as we passed....."

What an awesome story! My wife does the SAME exact thing! Everytime I race, she ALWAYS waves as we pass!
laugh.gif
It's gotten to the point now where she insists that whoever we race is on her side, so she can start waving before the race even starts! That makes them that much more mad when the inevitable happens!
yesnod.gif
I think it's hilarious. Great story & good kill! Keep it between the lines buddy.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife would happily wave as HE passed US by because I can't speed with her in the car. At all.
frown.gif

I sounds like a nice run. We don't really have unpatrolled, traffic-free roads anywhere nearby, so I can only run up in short spurts of speed on rare occasion.

But the Viper does have a great sweet-spot between 70 and 130, which pulls like no other car that I've driven in 4th gear.
supergrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang