First Time Viper Owner- Hennessey 500

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 97 GTS and it has the Hennessey 500 package. It has intakes, smooth tubes, headers, cats, and exhaust, and last but not least, the Hennessey 500 floor mats. Does the Hennessey 500 have any other upgrades or is this it? I just know this is what the car was advertised as having and I was just curious what else it may have. I am a Viper newbie and long time fan (its the only car I have ever wanted), but from browsing these forums I can tell John Hennessey is a polarizing figure. I just want to know all about what I am getting and what you guys think about it. Thanks!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats on your getting a viper :2tu:

as long as you didn't pay too much of a premium for the package i think having the H 500 package is a plus, regardless of what it includes.

:drive:

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I paid well under bluebook and it only has 13,400 miles. I was just curious what that package entails.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I paid well under bluebook and it only has 13,400 miles. I was just curious what that package entails.

Nobody knows, not even Hennessey. Half his cars didn't have the stuff he claimed to put in. If you called the company, not even they know. For all you know the H 500 could be smooth tubes and a sticker. Just enjoy the car and let everyone who doesn't know think you have a beast.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dump the Hennessey crap and get a real roe kit instead, Hennessey is a sticker and some flea market add ons, probably just a k&n filter with stickers, standard ebay upgrade

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it would also have a 3:55 rear end.

Did a quick web search, here's an article from Motor trend;

A basic 510-horsepower Venom 500 GTS package ($9995) includes enlarged throttle bodies, high-flow intake manifold, competition air induction system, valvetrain fortification, computer upgrade, 3-inch stainless-steel exhaust system, long-tube headers, 3.54:1 rearend, and silicone spark-plug wires. A set of floormats, valve covers, and exterior badging round out the drool-inducing package

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...iper_venom_600_gts/viewall.html#ixzz2Y00zd68o

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the description in the link, all the add ons would be fairly easy to verify except for the "valvetrain fortification" and PCM programming. You might be able to spot valve train work by popping off a valve cover(they come off easy enough).

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
post purchase advice winner:

Nobody knows, not even Hennessey. Half his cars didn't have the stuff he claimed to put in. If you called the company, not even they know. For all you know the H 500 could be smooth tubes and a sticker. Just enjoy the car and let everyone who doesn't know think you have a beast.

pre-purchase advise winner:

dump the Hennessey crap and get a real roe kit instead, Hennessey is a sticker and some flea market add ons, probably just a k&n filter with stickers, standard ebay upgrade

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Such a high opinion of Hennessey. LOL
Yes take a good look. Hennessey doesnt have the best reputation and has been known in the past to have not actually done the work on a car that was charged. He himself admitted to me on the phone a couple of years ago that he had some problems some time back but that he has rectified things.

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I hope my car has at least what I think it has. If it has all the exhaust and intake stuff I will happy.

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I dont think any of the other possible upgrades that I am hoping are on it could be seen from that view anyway. But all i can see is a KN intake and smooth tubes.

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The dealer told me it does indeed have aftermarket cats, exhaust, headers, and intakes, and they are advertised as Hennessey. But that could mean they are any brand, from what I read on here lol

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its the white stripes that give it the extra power. lol But really, I am a rookie and would have been happy to buy this car completely stock. However, it supposedly having these aftermarket add-ons did sweeten the deal a bit. Either way I am happy about the purchase and was just going by what the car was advertised as having.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
denniskgb:3193597 said:
car looks beautiful, however do not see headers, still stock shields?

I have stock heat shields over my b&b headers. You can take em off or jack the car up and look undernieth to determine what you got.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stripes were added, because only the 96 GTS had the stripes that painted in the license plate area.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like kn filters, not kn intake

heath1225, you have a really good attitude in this thread :2tu:

i think for most people not in the viper world, the hennessey package and yes the floor mats too are bling

enjoy

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
looks like kn filters, not kn intake

heath1225, you have a really good attitude in this thread :2tu:

i think for most people not in the viper world, the hennessey package and yes the floor mats too are bling

enjoy

no point in getting upset about anything. I am just happy to get a beautiful, low mileage Viper.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at your ECM (Passenger side) he typically stickered it like this
You must be registered for see images attach

My car is not a Hennessey but at the time (1998) he was the only tuner I could find that could flash a JTEC

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or look for the crayon and happy meal gift certificates, got a magic marker and anyone can have a hennessey

OP
OP
H

heath1225

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will look for the ECM sticker and happy meal gift certificates tomorrow when it comes in! thanks, viperrt96.