First track day in SRT10

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I picked up my 2003 SRT10 Vert last week and took it out for a track day at Sebring raceway in Florida today. I had never ran a track day with automobiles before (I have race motorcycles in the past), so I was a novice, both to my SRT10 and to racing in general. I have owned two Gen 2s in the past.

Anyway, I had a really great time at the track today. Chin Motorsports ran the track day and they had three categories, which I was in Novice. In Novice you have to have an instructor ride with you during the day.

My first track session (30 minutes) I was getting used to the track. I found that I could leave the Viper in 3rd gear throughout the track, which allowed me to concentrate on learning the corners rather then shifting. I actually ran in third gear for most of the first two sessions. There was always plenty of torque to get me out of the corners, and I really didn't feel like going faster then 120ish on the straights anyway.

The Viper provided me with quite an advantage over the other novice drivers, with the massive amount of speed I could get on the straights I passed driver after driver (which made for a fun day). Through the corners, I thought the car held fairly well. I was careful coming out of turns with the throttle, and never got close to breaking the rear free.

I did notice that I had to be careful with the throttle on long sweepers. I let up on the throttle once through a long series of turns and the back end got quite squirrelly on me. I easily corrected for it, however, but I was much more careful with the throttle from then on out.

I ran 4 sessions total, and was only passed one time, by a fast driver in a Porsche targa. I did catch and pass him a bit later in the session as he almost spun his car and slowed down quite a bit :)

I thought the suspension was nice, the PS2 tires held well, and the brakes never developed any fading feeling. I would like to have a bit more downforce on the rear wheels to give myself a bit more confidence that the rear wouldn't kick out on me.

Can't wait to go again!

Shawn

vpr hlr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went to the track at Circuit Mont Tremblant in August. LOVED every minute. Tracking is VERY ADDICTING. I am back in Florida next week. I would love to do Sebring. I will have to check the next track day.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats at tracking but running third gear around Sebring will overheat your car in a heartbeat. Did you keep a close eye on the temp and oil gauges?

Anyways congrats again. Now you have GOT to go to Daytona with NARRA Online Their instructors are Viper people and know how to drive a Viper. Drive a few laps and learn the track then let them take you around for one lap. You will be amazed at what the Viper can do.

Terrific hearing that you're tracking. Hope you make it a regular event. :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to the track at Circuit Mont Tremblant in August. LOVED every minute. Tracking is VERY ADDICTING. I am back in Florida next week. I would love to do Sebring. I will have to check the next track day.

If you're gonna be in Florida you gotta do Daytona with NARRA Online too. We're talking DAYTONA man! Those snobs hardly ever let anyone run on their track and NARRA got three days with them. This is a huge opportunity.

OP
OP
S

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I carefully watched all of my gauges. I went to fourth gear for the last two sessions on the straights, which gave me more control and allowed me to not rev to the limit down the straights. I don't think I was really that fast at a best timed lap of 2:42 once I started running into fourth.

My instructor was good, but he was a Civic guy, so wasn't really that much of a rear-wheel or Viper guy. Maybe I'll look into Daytona.

Shawn

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up my 2003 SRT10 Vert last week and took it out for a track day at Sebring raceway in Florida today. I had never ran a track day with automobiles before (I have race motorcycles in the past), so I was a novice, both to my SRT10 and to racing in general. I have owned two Gen 2s in the past.

Anyway, I had a really great time at the track today. Chin Motorsports ran the track day and they had three categories, which I was in Novice. In Novice you have to have an instructor ride with you during the day.

My first track session (30 minutes) I was getting used to the track. I found that I could leave the Viper in 3rd gear throughout the track, which allowed me to concentrate on learning the corners rather then shifting. I actually ran in third gear for most of the first two sessions. There was always plenty of torque to get me out of the corners, and I really didn't feel like going faster then 120ish on the straights anyway.

The Viper provided me with quite an advantage over the other novice drivers, with the massive amount of speed I could get on the straights I passed driver after driver (which made for a fun day). Through the corners, I thought the car held fairly well. I was careful coming out of turns with the throttle, and never got close to breaking the rear free.

I did notice that I had to be careful with the throttle on long sweepers. I let up on the throttle once through a long series of turns and the back end got quite squirrelly on me. I easily corrected for it, however, but I was much more careful with the throttle from then on out.

I ran 4 sessions total, and was only passed one time, by a fast driver in a Porsche targa. I did catch and pass him a bit later in the session as he almost spun his car and slowed down quite a bit :)

I thought the suspension was nice, the PS2 tires held well, and the brakes never developed any fading feeling. I would like to have a bit more downforce on the rear wheels to give myself a bit more confidence that the rear wouldn't kick out on me.

Can't wait to go again!

Shawn

Welcome to the world of tracking your Viper. You are certainly in for a treat! Here is what happens when you miss third and go to first:
Sept 09 VIR South Course PCA Settlers Region 08 Viper with Spin. I definitely don't want to do that move again! ;)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I carefully watched all of my gauges. I went to fourth gear for the last two sessions on the straights, which gave me more control and allowed me to not rev to the limit down the straights. I don't think I was really that fast at a best timed lap of 2:42 once I started running into fourth.

My instructor was good, but he was a Civic guy, so wasn't really that much of a rear-wheel or Viper guy. Maybe I'll look into Daytona.

Shawn

Sign up with SAFE Motorsports - More track for less money! Sebring - Homestead - Moroso for next year. More track time in one day than any other club has in a whole weekend.

And of course, always do NARRA Online whenever possible.