Flow Numbers on Stock Heads

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some general technical questions regarding the Viper motor, and here they are=> 1. What are the stock CFM Flow numbers for the Gen-II Heads for intake and exhaust? 2. Does anyone know what the numbers are at max lift, 1/2 of max lift/etc...? 3. What is the max lift per spec? 4. What are some numbers tuners have been able to achieve? 5. Does the Viper cam have a split grind or a single grind? 6. Are the Viper valves one or two piece? 7. Do the Viper heads have bronze valve guides from the factory? 8. What kind of a valve job comes from the factory? 1-angle, 3-angle, 5-angle? 9. What does anyone know about the rate of blow-by of gapless rings as compared to regular rings? Thanks in advance, Paolo Castellano

Reaction score
Paolo, a stock Gen2 head will do 240I & 177E @ .600" lift. At .400" lift they'll go 205I & 170E. This is at 28" of water test pressure on my Superflow 600 flowbench. A curent set of my fully ported heads will go 290I & 220E at .600". We have done a few sets where customers wanted a little extra, so I put a little more work into them and got over 300 cfm on the intakes. But this can be risky with a stock casting.

The stock valve job does have multi-angles, BUT the diameters of the seats are much smaller than the valves, and there are no backcut angles on the valves either. The stock intake seat as machined will accept a 1.870" valve and the exhaust a 1.485" valve, which are way under the actual valve sizes in the heads, 1.920" intake and 1.585" exhaust. I have no idea why the factory does this on a "performance" car. Who knows. But it does leave more for us head porters to improve on so I'm not going to complain too loud. Having the seats machined so small on a factory head hurts flow in a big way. The stock valves are two piece.

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Welch on the bronze guide issue. If the right type of bronze is used, phosphorous bronze or manganese bronze, and it is installed correctly, which means honing at least the last .002" out of the guide for the correct finish AND resulting higher amount of surface contact area between stem and guide, a bronze guide will ALWAYS outlast a cast iron guide. Wow that was a long sentence. I seldom use the words "never" or "always" but this is one instance where I feel it it is safe. That cast iron will out last bronze on the street is an old myth that refuses to die.

I'm going to assume that you're talking about gapless second rings. The only thing they do is make the leakdown look better and give a false sense of ring seal confidence. They actually hurt the way the top and oil rings are designed to work. A lot of people don't really understand how a ring package works and that is why gapless rings have been popular for so long. They just sound like they should work, so therefore people buy them.

You will always have a small amount of blowby in an engine. This is normal, and even necessary, for the ring package to work properly. Even if you had a gapless top ring, which ring designers are working on, you'll get some leakage across the ring face. The blowby that gets past the top ring travels to the oil ring through the gap in the second ring, then it goes into the pan through the holes or slots in the back of the ring groove, carrying oil with it that has been deposited there from the scraping action of the oil ring rails. This is how it is supposed to work. It's all about pressure differential above and below the oil ring. The higher the pressure differential between the oil pan and right above the oil ring, the better the oil ring works. The oil rings actually do not scrape all of the oil off the cylinder wall like many people think. If the blowby is stopped completely(gapless second rings), the engine can start oiling because the oil in the oil ring groove is not being emptied into the pan as efficiently as before because you don't have the leaked combustion gases flowing into the pan to empty the oil ring groove. Does this make any sense? In other words, it takes a small of "leakage", or airflow, to make the oil rings operate properly.

Gapless second rings can also hinder the way the top ring works. The top ring seals at the cylinder wall and on the bottom of the ring and the piston groove. If blowby is trapped between the top and second rings the top ring can be pushed up off the bottom of the ring groove and you lose your top ring seal.

I have an engine builder friend that a long time ago wanted to reduce ring drag (friction) on an engine he was building so he installed a second ring that was .030" undersize, 4.280" second ring on a 4.310" bore. It worked. The engine made good power and took less torque to turn over. It was also the driest engine(combustion chambers) he had ever built. We didn't know why at the time. The result of the undersize second ring gave him an end gap of about .090". A few years later at a Superflow engine conference in Denver this ring gap issue was explained by a Speed-Pro(now Federal Mogul)engineer. It then made sense then how a huge secong ring gap could dry up an engine(make oil rings work better). It works so well in fact that for a while International Harvester used .090" as spec for their gasoline truck engines. Most of the engine builders I know have since gone back to smaller second ring gaps but still run them larger than the top ring gap to prevent any combustion gases getting trapped between the top and second rings.

Sorry for the long post.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry!!?? Are you kidding?? That is some good stuff, especially for those of us who know just enough about this sort of thing to be dangerous.
smile.gif

If you're inclined to write another installment, could you address this question: when porting heads, is total flow really all that matters, or does HOW the heads flow make a significant difference as well? In other words, can't one set of heads make more power in a given application than another even though the other set may flow more cfm? It seems most people only want to talk total flow numbers, but I was under the impression that head porting was a lot more complicated than that. Thanks!

Ronnie

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedGTS:
when porting heads, is total flow really all that matters, or does HOW the heads flow make a significant difference as well? In other words, can't one set of heads make more power in a given application than another even though the other set may flow more cfm? It seems most people only want to talk total flow numbers, but I was under the impression that head porting was a lot more complicated than that. Thanks!

Ronnie

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh gosh, let me count the ways. There is a LOT more to making power than flow numbers on a head. Having good flow is where you want to start, but there is definitely more to look at. First of course, you have your intake flow, and I'm not just talking about flow at max lift, but mid-lift(.300"-.500" lift) flow as well. What we're looking for here is area under the curve. We want fat numbers starting at .300" lift all the way up to max flow. Now don't get me wrong, max lift flow is very important, and occurs at max piston speed, which is the best oppurtunity to fill a cylinder, BUT it is not the only time to fill a cylinder. We want to maximize flow at other valve lifts because the valve spends a lot of time there too. Next thing on the list is wet flow. Any cylinder head will have a certain amount of wet unatomized fuel flowing through the intake ports. How a head introduces this fuel into the cylinder is VERY important. You want to spread it out evenly, not let it build up on the exhaust side of the chamber. This makes the engine more efficient. The exhaust side of the chamber typically runs richer than the intake side. This is why "canting" the spark plug towards the exhaust makes a little more power. The mixture is richer over there and therefore easier to ignite. It is usually easy to see how well a head is wet flowing by looking at the carbon patterns in the chamber. When everything is perfect the chamber will look like you spray painted it with brown paint and there will be no bare un-carboned spots. After that I look at port velocity. It's impossible to get too big on a Viper head. You'll hit water first. But anyway, as a general rule you need to maintain a healthy amount of velocity for good cylinder filling. This is one thing the dyno will lie to you about. I have shrunk intake port cross section down with epoxy many times through the years, had the engine make less power on the dyno, but run faster at the track. Small intake ports typically accelerate well. Small exhaust ports too. And last but not least is how much air the intake port flows backwards at low lift. This determines how much exhaust gas gets up into the intake port at the very beginning of the intake stroke. To realize how important the low lift reverse flow is you must remember that the intake valve cracks open during the latter portion of the exhaust event. So whatever residual pressure is left in the cylinder at this time has a shot at going up into the intake port. This is one of the biggest power killers for an engine and yet gets overlooked by most engine builders and head porters, but not me.

On the exhaust, we basically want it to do the same things as the intake ports, have good mid and high lift flow, and good velocity. I will say one thing, although we all want to rate a cylinder head for its intake flow, you cannot have a good intake stroke, and consequently power, without first having a good exhaust stroke before it. I have modified the way I look at the 4 cycle engine in that I analyze the exhaust event first, followed by the intake, compression, and then the power stroke. You must remeber that what residual pressure is left in the cylinder when the intake valve first opens is fair game to go wherever it pleases, which is usually up into the intake port. This kills a lot of power and is why it is so important to get as much exhaust out as as possible before the intake valve opens, so that you have a low residual pressure in the cylinder when the intake valve cracks open. We are not concerned with wet flow and low lift reversion on the exhaust side so they are a lot less complex and easier to get right. The most important part of the exhaust event is what is called the "blowdown period". This starts as soon as the valve opens and ends at BDC. You want to get as much exhaust out of the cylinder as possible during this time. Anything left in the cylinder has to then be pushed out by the piston on the exhaust stroke proper and this costs power to do. To make the blowdown period work I shoot for really good mid-lift flow and for a lot of valve opening during blowdown. We accomplish these things with the right valve job and more aggressive cam profiles with faster opening ramps.

There is a lot in the chamber as well. Through proper shaping we can realize more flow and better fuel disribution. Both result in more power and efficiency.

So yes, there is a lot more to judging a head than high lift flow numbers that get thrown around frequently. A set of heads can be down on high lift flow but still make a lot more power by having the other things right. In the end it is the head porter that optimizes all of the things I have listed that has the best head.

Hope this sheds a little light on cylinder heads in general for those that are interested in how air moves through an engine.

edited because it's late, I'm tired, and can't spell;-P

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Greg! It's obvious you take pride in your work, and thanks for explaining some of the factors that go into it.

Ronnie

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg, Thanks for the very informative response to my too many questions! I will have to read those posts again and again to fully understand all you said. That was great stuff! How would a supercharger application affect the creation of a set of heads suited to the forced induction route? Someone told me about gapless rings and I assumed they were talking about the top ring. I can see how a gapless second ring could be detrimental. Could a gapless first ring be more beneficial with forced induction to handle the additional pressure in the cylinder walls? Paolo

Reaction score
I know that there are engineers that have for some time been working on a gapless top ring. I heard awhile back that Childs & Albert or somebody else, I can't remember, was trying to do this and had a prototype. I don't really see the urgency for that though, and I'll tell you why. If you could get a gapless top ring to work, you would still have some leakage across the face of the ring. Besides, a little leakage is necesaary for the oil ring to work properly. The only benefit of a gapless ring, top or second, is that it makes the leakdown look good. There is one exception, an alcohol or nitromethane engine that is bad about contaminating the oil with fuel can benefit. A gapless second ring will reduce oil contamination in those engines. We don't have this problem with gasoline engines though.

When we leak down an engine the leakage we see is what the ring leaks at low temperature. This is not indicative of what is really happening while under power. The problem is that we are not leak testing the standard rings at the temperature at which they operate. If we could somehow leak test with the top rings at full operating temperature we would then see the real leakage of the top ring. The top rings leak the least when hot and the gapless rings leak good at any temperature. This is the main difference between them. When an engine is under full throtle there is a lot of cylinder temperature at that time and the ring gap shrinks up considerably, yeilding a much lower leakage rate. When the end gap on a top ring is sized correctly the gap will almost close during a power run, effectively making it an "almost gapless" ring with just a few thousandths of an inch clearance for insurance against the ends of the ring "butting" and causing cylinder wall and ring face damage. The leakge past this small, almost closed gap is negligible. I know savvy engine builders that can, through careful inspection and documentation during race engine rebuilds, incrementally reduce the top ring gap a little at a time and eventually get it to its smallest allowable dimension for THAT engine. It is not something that many of them stay with though because it doesn't yeild much power per man hour invested. There are greener pastures to find power in. Why hunt for squirrel when you can get a 6X6 elk for the same effort.

The thing that affects ring gap is heat. More power, more heat. Nitrous? Blower? More heat, bigger top ring gap. Running the top ring closer to the top of the piston? More heat, more gap. More cylinder temp requires more gap. Also, some cylinders run hotter than others and therefore the required minimum ring gap can be different for each cylinder. We do what we can to make sure every port flows the same, every cylinder has the same compression ratio, same amount of fuel, ignition timing, and valve timing, etc. in an effort to make every cylinder do the same thing powerwise and heatwise. We want every cylinder to reach detonation at the same place in the tune up. The thing we can't fix completely is the cooling of each cylinder. It is very hard to get each cylinder to cool exactly the same, and you'll always have some that run a little hotter. Two of the problems with heads and cooling systems involve uneven water input and steam produced in the water jacket from water boiling off of the combustion chamber walls. Combustion chambers run very hot and it is normal for water to boil off the water jacket side of the chamber. How well a head disposes of, or IF it disposes of, this steam is very important. One of the things we do on drag engines is reverse cool them. We'll put water IN under every exhaust port, and take water OUT at each end of the head (4 corners)and through the front of the block. What this does is put cool water where it is needed the most and puts an equal of water amount to each cylinder. A cooling system like this is not really feasible on a street engine. Another thing we sometimes do is put "steam lines" on the heads. This is involves tapping into the highest part of the water jacket, where the steam builds up, usually under the valve cover area, and running small lines from there to the water neck. This allows the steam, or bubbles from the boiling water, water vapor, or whatever terminolgy you want to use, to escape from the water jacket and this makes room for fresh water to come in and cool the chambers which are running too hot, overheating and causing detonation. When you have a lot steam in the water jacket the volume in the water jacket is reduced significantly, further hurting cooling. I know one NHRA Pro Stock engine builder that uses water jacket volume as a criterion for selecting head cores. He'll cc the water jacket, and I have also seen him cut holes in the outside of the head and go in and do some judicial porting in the water jacket in critical areas that need more water flow in order to reduce detonation. The Winston Cup guys get around this cooling system problem easy, they just run a lot of pressure on the cooling system, something on the order of 65-70 lbs., to eliminate the water from boiling in the first place.

Most engine builders take the view that a blown engine does not need any particular attention given to the intake ports and instead focus mainly on the exhaust side. I disagree with this approach and feel that these guys are leaving a lot on the table. Blown and supercharged engines gain MORE horsepower from intake port work than their normally aspirated counterparts because of the higher operating pressure of the intake ports, which is boost level you have versus atmospheric pressure(14.7 psi). A 10% gain in flow equals more cfm at, say, 10 pounds of boost than it does at zero boost. If I pick up 30 cfm at 28" on a 300 cfm intake port, that 30 cfm gain goes up as I increase the test pressure, like if I were to take the test pressure up to 48", which is as high as my flow bench goes. The percentage gain stay the same but the actual cfm gain goes up.

Let me give you an example. I have a customer that ran Blown Alcohol Hydro in SDBA a number of years ago. He bought two sets of heads. One set were Veney heads and had awesome exhaust flow and decent intake flow. His other set were from Brad Anderson and had great intake flow, way more than the Veneys, and the exhaust ports while good, were far less than what the Veney heads had. We assumed the Veneys would run faster because of the higher exhaust flow and decided to use them as the primary heads, with the Anderson heads as backup. We figured if we needed more intake flow he'd just put a "wagon wheel" on the bottom and a "dime" on the top. Well, we ate crow, because the Andersons were faster every time and they became the primary heads. Another customer used to "try" to run Top Fuel, and he had heads and engines from one of the more competitive NHRA teams at the time. Those heads had 2.500" intake valves and the intake ports were big enough to throw a cat through. All of the fast, professionally done, Top Fuel or Blown Alcohol heads I have ever seen were geared towards massive intake flow. Any competitive blown head I've ever seen had really good intake flow. Basically, having a blower does not mean you can forget about the intake flow.

I like to keep the intake/exhaust flow ratio between 72-75 percent on blown street engine. In my experience this seeems to be enough. Anything more is gravy. My standard 290/220 cfm Viper heads are within this range. You have to remember that the exhaust port is somewhat self compensating in that if you get more air in (through porting or boost)and have more cylinder pressure, the resulting pressure that the exhaust port sees when the exhaust valve opens is higher, and when you up the pressure, you also up the flow. You can help out the exhaust side somewhat with the camshaft. You can run what is called a "dual pattern" cam that has some "spread", which is extra exhaust duration. A lot of people already do this on their unblown engines. You can also run an intake lobe on the exhaust. They typically have faster ramps and more "area under the curve" which helps the exhaust phase.

A lot of nitrous guys also like to focus only on the exhaust side of the head. But from what I've seen nitrous picks up an engine no matter what the heads flow. It's a no-brainer, a cure-all for lack of engine building knowledge(no offense meant to anyone). I try to avoid working on nitrous heads because I hate doing a really nice set of heads and then watch them get torched. Inevitabally, some of my heads get nitrous run on them because it's hard to beat a nitrous motor unless you also have a power-adder of some sort. It doesn't matter how good a nitrous kit is or how smart the tuner is, if you have nitrous, you're going to burn the engine down eventually. I generally view nitrous as ****** for racers anyway. It's pretty boring to me.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Gerald gets out a bag of chips and reads)

INFORMATIVE post Greg.. Lots of nice reading.. Thanks.!

Gerald

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg, that was good to read, you have passed on a lot of very interesting information, think a weekly tutorial would be very educational
smile.gif

If you were building a head for a supercharged engine, in what way would this differ from a normally aspirated head. I'm interested specifically in this since I intend to supercharge this winter, and since I intend to run with the standard CR, boost will be limited. Will a good set of heads usefully pick up the power whilst keeping the risk of detonation to a minimum and maintaining the motors reliability, and what part does the intake manifold play in a blown V10 since naturally aspirated it is I think reckoned to be a bit restrictive. Can a good set of heads still produce good blown power without different ratio rockers ?

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Joel. I'm very humbled by the people here that think my posts are interesting.

What you'll always hear is that the exhaust ports are your main concern when using a blower. My position is that both the intake and exhaust ports are equally important. Re-read my last post. Basically, I would not do anything different on my exhaust ports, or intake ports for that matter, for a blown Viper engine because I make them as good as the casting allows already. There's no more room for improvement. So, if a guy had a set of my heads he would not need to get the exhaust ports "broomed up" before he installed a blower. Just bolt the blower on and go.

I would not see the need to go with a higher ratio rocker arm either. A 1.7 ratio is really enough. That ratio coupled with any number of camshaft lobes from Comp Cams could get you up to .650" lift if you wanted it. Actually, about .600" lift is plenty on the street. The more lift you have the harder it is to contol valve float. Hydraulic roller valve trains are hard to keep stable because we are limited on spring pressure because of the hydraulic mechanism in the lifter. EDIT: I kind of misunderstood your question. Do you mean higher ratio than stock? Yes, a 1.7 will be better than the stock ratio. I always assume that a guy is going to run roller rockers with ported heads, and 1.7 seems to be the standard ratio for Viper roller rockers.

Now if the engine was an "endurance" type like circle track where the engine is run at WOT for long periods I would install berrylium copper exhaust seats for better heat transfer from the valve to the seat. Berrylium seats transfer heat out of the exhaust valve at about 4 times the rate of the stock seats. I would also go with a better valve material like Inconel. A street Viper doesn't really need these things though. I guess it all really depends on the actual exhaust gas temperature of the engine. If the engine is tuned up right the exhaust gas temp will remain pretty good because the heat is being generated in the combustion chamber. It's when you don't get all of the fuel burned in the combustion chamber that you have a problem. Then you get a high exhaust gas temp and have to take measures to deal with it. For an example, the Busch NASCAR engines run 9:1 compression. They run high octane racing fuel and don't burn all of the fuel in the chamber. The fuel is still burning as the exhaust flows into the header and therefore has a lot higher exhaust gas temp than the Winston Cup cars that have 12:1 compression and burns is fuel in the combustin chamber.

I don't really like to run the berrylium seats on a street engine because the valve job has to be touched up more frequently as the seats are pretty soft. Other than that they're great seats.

Any time you put more air into the cylinder you raise the cylinder pressure of the engine and increase the likelihood of detonation. There's not really anything we can do to the heads to reduce detonation except for making the chambers larger to reduce compression and deburring the chambers, getting rid of any sharp edges that can cause pre-ignition. If you're really interested in getting rid of detonation you need to tighten up the "quench", or piston to head clearance on the engine. The quench area is where the piston and head almost touch on the flat part of the deck surface of the head that is in the cylinder. It is the flat part of the head opposite the spark plug. I don't have the exact figure in front of me but the piston on a stock Viper a way too far down in the bore. Optimum piston to heads clearance would be about .045" on one of these engines. The best way to achieve this is by putting new pistons in the engine that have a taller compression distance.

Less quench will make the engine less likely to detonate and allow more boost, hence more power. When a spark occurs in the chamber, a flame front is started that moves through the air/fuel mixture. The mixture in front of this flame front is getting further compressed as the flame front spreads towards the quench area. If the quench area holds a substantial amount of mixture it auto-ignites from this excessive compression and starts another flame front. This is detonation. If we tighten up the quench we squeeze everything there into the combustion chamber proper where it can burn as it is supposed to.

An example of how quench can affect power: I did two sets of big block Chevy heads for a blown offshore boat one time. The engine ran on racing fuel and had 8.5:1 compression. The engines had tight quench. The engine builder decided he wanted to run more boost so he put a set of pistons in the engines that had lower compression. These new pistons were flat tops and were down in the bore quite a ways and we lost our tight quench. The engine made about 100 horsepower less on the dyno than it did before. We tried to creep up on the boost and the engine would start detonating before we could get there. Even though the engine had less compression now, we could not run as much boost or timing as with the old pistons that had the tight quench. So guess what happenned? The old pistons with the tight quench went back in and he power went back up. Quench is very important, especially to a blown engine.

As for manifolds, run the best you can afford. A sheet metal manifold would be nice, but they are pricey. But a factory manifold that is ported will make good power too. You could try that first and upgrade later if your your car is not enough of a "ditch hunter" for you.
laugh.gif

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg, I always read your posts, so I can compare notes on
power theories. It may take a little extra effort to convey
your experiences, but people like me appreciate your insight.
It's interesting how in the mid-60's, they had the quench(closed
chamber) head - knew it worked, just didn't have the high-tech
stuff to completely understand why. Now, decades later, we're
back to appreciate the advantages of 'quench', and have the
data to understand it.

Reaction score
I can be hard to understand sometimes. When I say "less quench" I mean "less cearance" in the quench area. I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough about that. My bad.

The problem with the old closed chamber heads of the 60's and 70's is that they were TOO closed and had insufficient airflow and the wet flow was horrible. It was a "too much of a good thing is bad" type of situation. This was due to the intake and exhaust valves being severely shrouded. So basically you had a head with good quench but without enough flow capacity. And the flow you had was of poor quality which further hurt power. You can't focus on just one aspect of a race head, like quench, and forget about airflow or wet flow. Just like we can't run a completely open chamber because it would be so big that we could never get compression out of the engine, and we wouldn't have any quench either. It would flow good and have good wet flow but that's about it. It's all about compromise and getting all of these things to work in synergy. It's kind of like a see-saw.

What we call closed chambered heads now are light years ahead of the old stuff. We now have heads that have unshrouded valves that provide good airflow and wet flow, and sufficient quench to hinder detonation.

Quench serves to do two things. It closes off the farthest part of the cylinder from the spark plug, reducing the distance that the flame front has to travel, which effectively puts the spark plug more in the center of the air/fuel mixture. And it also helps mix the air and fuel up just a little bit more at the last second, or should I say nanosecond. In this regard, I think quench works far better than swirl to further prepare the air/fuel mixture for burning.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GregGood/TNT:

Less quench will make the engine less likely to detonate and allow more boost, hence more power. When a spark occurs in the chamber, a flame front is started that moves through the air/fuel mixture.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greg, didn't you mean to say "MORE quench"

Reaction score
It would be fun, but I doubt if I'll be there. I would really like to see if all of the guys talking about running 9's are going to please the crowd. That would be cool. It sounds as though there will be some good friendly grudge racing going on between all of them.

Alas, I have a lot of work going on, so you know what that means.........but I will have a set of heads there on display.

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg, I was looking through your site at the cylinder head packages you offer and was wondering where I can find out about pricing. Do you have a snail mail catalog, or do we simply email you? Thanks.
Chris

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Greg, I wondered if you would care to comment on Mr. racetech's pearls of wisdom (in at least the author's opinion, obviously) re Viper head porting contained in the thread linked below from the main board. Sounds like there are only two double secret porters capable of doing anything worthwhile to Viper heads, and you're not one of them.
smile.gif
(j/k) Whaddya think?

Ronnie
http://vca1.viperclub.org/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum14&topic=013738

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedGTS:
Sounds like there are only two double secret porters capable of doing anything worthwhile to Viper heads, and you're not one of them.
smile.gif
(j/k) Whaddya think?

Ronnie
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are two very interesting posts indeed. I admire the gentleman for his loyalty towards his friends.

I think he qualified his statement by saying:

"I know of only two people in the country that I'd let touch my heads".

The key words here being "I know of". I take that as an admission that he does not know all of the head porters in the U.S.

There are a lot of fast racers in this country. And there can be no doubt that the heads for all of those racers come from far more than just two head porters.

Edit: I've had time to sleep on it, and I think his posts were rather condescending to all of us.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg,
Let Racetech run off at the mouth about his unnamed imaginary friend who has never worked on a set of viper heads before. I have followed these forums for 3 yrs and when the time came ( last week ) to get my viper a set of killer heads, I went with the guy who I think has the most viper experience and can give me the best heads for the dollar, Greg Good w/TNT.

Steve