Flower Mound teen dies after flipping Dodge Viper this weekend

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Police are investigating the death of a Flower Mound teenager who died after losing control of a sports car and flipping it on its roof.The name of the 18-year-old victim had not been released. He was driving a 2005 Dodge Viper when it crashed at 8:30 p.m. Sunday in the 4400 block of Flower Mound Road, police said. The teen died at the scene.
Police said the car crossed the intersection with Clearpoint Drive and struck a brick pillar before landing on its roof.
Police had not determined whether alcohol was a factor in the crash.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/...s-after-flipping-dodge-viper-this-weekend.ece

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So sad.... no idea what an 18 year old was doing with a Viper.... surely they don't' have enough driving experience to handle the power, let alone the maturity to keep the power reasonable on public roads.

Unfortunate.

....*ahem*.... now.... to find pics.....

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad to hear, but to me, age isn't really a factor in owning a vertain car or not. It's about skills and the responsibility to drive within those skills. Obviously a high a high hp/tq car in the hands of someone not mentally able to handle it is a BAD combination, and typically age will play a role in that, but there are plenty of "old" people who have no business driving some cars as well.
I don't mean to start some big argument, but it bothers me sometimes when everyone talks about "kids" having no business with hp. I was driving a Mustang with 492 hp at the wheels when I was 16. It didn't have the tq of a Viper, but that chasis ('93) and suspension was not set up to handle the kind of power I was putting down. Did I lose it a few times? Yep, in a safe environment while I was learning. I raced that car and drove it as my dd for years and never had any sort of accident. Again, obviously THIS teen had no business behind the wheel of a car with this kind of power, but don't lump them all together.
OK. Off my high horse now. :)

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sad to hear, but to me, age isn't really a factor in owning a vertain car or not. It's about skills and the responsibility to drive within those skills. Obviously a high a high hp/tq car in the hands of someone not mentally able to handle it is a BAD combination, and typically age will play a role in that, but there are plenty of "old" people who have no business driving some cars as well.
I don't mean to start some big argument, but it bothers me sometimes when everyone talks about "kids" having no business with hp. I was driving a Mustang with 492 hp at the wheels when I was 16. It didn't have the tq of a Viper, but that chasis ('93) and suspension was not set up to handle the kind of power I was putting down. Did I lose it a few times? Yep, in a safe environment while I was learning. I raced that car and drove it as my dd for years and never had any sort of accident. Again, obviously THIS teen had no business behind the wheel of a car with this kind of power, but don't lump them all together.
OK. Off my high horse now. :)

Sure... age does play a big part.... not so much when the driver is over the age of 25, or under the age of 65, which is why insurance rates drop. There are the minorities though too. I was a great driver when I was 18, but not everyone is... just like not every older man is a good driver... most aren't. I wouldn't hand my keys to anyone... but if I did, it sure as hell wouldn't be an 18 year old... and that being said - it wouldn't be someone over 70 either.

VenomSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad story and my prayer goes out to the family.

Bad driver comes in all ages, while accident can happen to even the most experienced driver. Having said that I think most of us would agreed, a Viper is just too easy to get into trouble with in the hands of an inexperienced driver.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Age DOES matter. I've always been somewhat mature for my age, but I've also been a gearhead my entire life. I did some stupid crap when I was 16-18, and that was with only 300 hp. It was hard to resist.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sad to hear, but to me, age isn't really a factor in owning a vertain car or not. It's about skills and the responsibility to drive within those skills. :)

I have to disagree as well. Age is definitely a factor in these types of situations. There is a reason why society, enforced through law, places restrictions on certain activities (drinking, owning firearms, etc.) Immaturity sometimes enables us to make poor decisions because we sometimes lack the wisdom to fully understand the consequences. A person barely old enough to legally drive should not be allowed to drive this type of vehicle unsupervised.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Age doesn't matter. Experiance and responsibilty matters. I bought my first Crotch rocket at 18, moved onto a R1 at 20. Never had a accident. Never did anything too stupid either. The problem is when it takes nothing to get there. I busted my ass for everything I had, and respected it. Also knew if I screwed it up it was my problem. Hell the first Viper I had I paid cash and only had liabilty on it. The means if it got totalled I lost everything invested.

Try driving your Viper with NO insurance on it for a little bit. I bet you will respect it a lot more.

-Tim

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's always sad to hear about an accident that leaves someone dead, and leaves their family grieving. But, it would be even more sad if we all didn't have the right to drive what we want when we want. I personally think it's stupid to put the keys of a Viper in the hands of anyone who might possibly be a danger to themselves or others. That goes the same for any other cars, guns, knives, bottles, sports equipment, hotel lamps (or anything else throwable), etc... But, $hit happens, and we all have the right to be stupid and face the consequences... What I'd hate to see is a society where all the 'dangerous' things are legislated out of use before people even have the opportunity to be stupid. Give me stupidity or give me death, I always say...

Jimbos1980

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Age plays a big part but only because of the maturity factor. My bf has been a cop for about 15 years and lives 10 minutes from me. He's a little pissed at me because I won't let him drive the viper. The reason is simply that he had a mustang growin up-from age 16-25 or so. He and I drove the tires off that thing and I can still remember the doughnuts! Today he owns a full size pickup and a motorcycle. He's 40 and even though he's toned it down quite a bit he drives the same way. In fact, he wrapped his squad around a cornfield last fall during a high speed chase! I simply told him - no hard feelings but there are only 2 that get to drive this thing. Me a d God. And god is still waiting his turn.

T JUNKIE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course age is a factor! Why do you think insurance rates are what they are? (I cannot imagine what full coverage is on a 16 year old boy.) But that being said, I have 2 sons. I let my Youngest son drive my new Vette (not my viper) to his senior prom in High School. This kid is in College now to be a Safety Engineer. He has always been safety conscious. I have another son who is almost 22 and he ask me to let him drive my Vette to the beach this summer. The answer was No! He is a different kind of person who cannot handle that kind of power. I have had several friends ask to drive my viper and only one has done so. Also after I supercharged it the list got really short because I had to learn to drive it again.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Profiling? Speaking for myself, my opinions are on the basis of a generalization and not this specific instance. I'm quite sure the parents of this young man has a lot more to deal with than thinking about his age at the time of this unfortunate and tragic event. I really feel from them and can't imagine and pain they are feeling.

This has nothing to do with anyone claiming how responsible they were at a young age. If you were, then good for you. Then general feeling in this society is that advancement in age leads to higher level of maturity and hence, better decisions and the ability to make better decisions. The age factor restricts folks from purchasing and drinking alcohol, purchasing guns, etc. Hell, you can't even vote unless you reach a certain age milestone. There is a reason for that....

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one am glad that Flexx91 is willing to tell other people what they can and cannot drive...:drive: Old folks cause nearly as many deaths/accidents as teen drivers. Does your society limit them as well?

What are your thoughts on needing an ID to vote?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are all kind of people that have wrecked Vipers (me included). Some have paid the ulitimate price and that is very sad. Truth is that the car can bite if mistreated regardless of age. Age, however, increases experience and maybe you've had a few more close calls under your belt that makes you wiser or better prepared to handle situations. Either way still a tragedy. My thoughts are with the family.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fellow Owners............
-The STATE gives the driver the right to drive.
--At 18 he can go to war and drive a tank. But NOT drink in most States, so I hope alcohol was not a factor.
---There are a LOT of 18-year-olds racing that can drive rings around most of us. Drivers Ed Matters.
----My worry is that he was on OEM tires, runcrap hockeypucks, and had little control when he got out of shape.

And lets remember, he could well be a family member right here.

Condolences to his family.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad loss for the family. Sorry to hear this.

It's about respect ... which comes at any age. If you respect speed, you'll live longer.
Unfortunately, People figure this out at different ages.
Death does not discriminate.

People get worked up on a topic like this because we hate to see it happen.
Let's keep the family in prayer.

Last edited:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I for one am glad that Flexx91 is willing to tell other people what they can and cannot drive...:drive: Old folks cause nearly as many deaths/accidents as teen drivers. Does your society limit them as well?

What are your thoughts on needing an ID to vote?

This has nothing to do with knowing how to drive. They don't hand over licenses unless you can prove you're capable of operating a vehicle and understand the laws. In short, we should all know to to operate a motor vehicle. It's simply the poor choices that young people sometimes make (or may make) because thay lack the maturity to fully understand the consequences of those actions (and I'm speaking in general terms as my statement is not intended to draw any conclusions on this particular unfortunate event). Most mature and responsible folks don't get peer pressured into racing their buddies on a busy boulevard. Hence, as someone already mentioned, insurance rates are higher young folks due to the increased risk. And by the way, it's not my society, as I live in the same state and are therfore, are governed by the same laws as you.

Just 3 1/2 hours North of me is a grieving family so out of respect, I'm going to end my rant here.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sad scenario but as JonB said at 18 you can be sent to war or at 14 you can fly an airplane solo once past tests.I've been riding motorcycles since 16, I'm 65 now.According here to some, I shouldn't drive my Viper at 70.:rolleyes:.Wasn't Paul Newman over 70 and still racing?It has to be competence and having a cool head to operate any machinery period.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few (very few) exceptions but, unless the 18 year old has been racing shifter karts since he was 10 years old he probably doesn't have the skills to handle the car. And even if he does, it's likely he doesn't have the judgement. Who among us didn't feel indestructable at 18?!

F

FrgMstr

It has been scientifically proven that AGE DOES MATTER. Frontal lobe development which is responsible for decision making, reasoning, and problem solving develops last, usually in the mid-20s.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any one of us could have paid for our poor decisions, driving related or other. I'm thankful that my poor decisions in the past, haven't hurt or killed anyone else, and that I have the opportunity to change for the future. Unfortunately, this poor kid did not. Condolences to the family, who are part of the Viper family, and mourning the loss of their child.

Rumor has it the parents were out of town and the kid took the car without their knowledge.

bluegrassvet1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any one of us could have paid for our poor decisions, driving related or other. I'm thankful that my poor decisions in the past, haven't hurt or killed anyone else, and that I have the opportunity to change for the future. Unfortunately, this poor kid did not. Condolences to the family, who are part of the Viper family, and mourning the loss of their child.

Well said.

paul tat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very sad. Age may be a small factor, but maturity and responsibility is the largest issue. My first car was a 2006 Viper when I was 16 years old. I put 30,000 miles on the car with no issues.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Age....really!?? Age of the driver had nothing to do with it. How many wrecks in the past few months were caused by a driver under 30? Ask my friend and fellow member Wallbanger if being a 40yo Dr had anything to do with him deciding to race a Vette that ended up costing him everything..everything but his life. It's not age, it is respect for the car and the power it has which can be learned at any age.
If this driver would have been 40, we would saying it must have been the tires, because the driver is to old and mature to do something stupid..right?

Prayers to the family.

Murray

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Age....really!?? Age of the driver had nothing to do with it. How many wrecks in the past few months were caused by a driver under 30? Ask my friend and fellow member Wallbanger if being a 40yo Dr had anything to do with him deciding to race a Vette that ended up costing him everything..everything but his life. It's not age, it is respect for the car and the power it has which can be learned at any age.
If this driver would have been 40, we would saying it must have been the tires, because the driver is to old and mature to do something stupid..right?

Prayers to the family.

Murray

Age does play a role. Full maturity does not happen until the mid-20s. Accidents happen to all age groups, but there is a reason why the 16-24 year old people cost more to insure.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old folks cause nearly as many deaths/accidents as teen drivers. Does your society limit them as well?

Really? I've never seen any statistics that support that. I believe that older drivers lose driving skills but they become more cautious. That extra caution sometimes cause accidents.

Do you belong to a different society that places these restrictions on 18 yr olds?

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 18 I made more stupid choices driving than I do now at 41. Thankfully driving a Dodge Diplomat with a slant-6 and maybe 140hp my performance envelope was very small....had I had a Viper then, I probably would have cracked it up a few times....hopefully none fatally.

My condolences to the family, sorry for your loss.

Regards,
Aaron

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62