Folks with 3.73 differential. How do you like it?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same rural area situation. I went to 3.55 just so I could use 6th.
I think you will find 3.55 is enough. 6th will start at about 65mph.

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't like my 3.73s at all - constant shifting and the only advantage I saw was that I would never hit the shift lockout :) I swapped for 3.45s which work great on my modified car. I can still use 6th on the freeway and there is plenty of pull off the line

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Year Matters.....kind of. The original poster did not say..

Here is my take, including input from from talks with the old Team Viper, and it still rings true:

A 3.73 causes a 21.5% increase in average RPM of the trans output shaft and rear end components over its lifetime. This excess wear and especially excess HEAT should be considered, especially on cars that are tracked on roadcourses.
A differential cooler is almost essential with 3.73. Coupled with the massive wheelspin that can result in 1st and 2nd with a 3.73, a 3.55 gear is a better overall choice, with a more manageable 15.6% rpm boost. And, the steeper the gears, the more whine is likley to occur.

A 400 HP Gen 1 car is more civilized with a 3.73 than a 450HP Gen 2. But exit a corner even in a Gen 1, and be VERY CAREFUL with adding throttle slowly. Mash it = Smash it. And any car pushed on HP exagerates the "gain" achieved with gearing.

3:45 is a 'niche' gear loved by frequent quarter-milers becasue it does not require a shift at 1300' like the 3:55 might. If you drag race passionately and frequently, choose 3:45. Rare, usually less strong, and more costly. Equal cars on the STREET, a 3:55 will knock off the 3:45 handily.....

If you have 600+ HP or esp a S/C, choose 3:33. Can be a difficult unit to find, and should definitely be cryo-hardened first.

Those with gear swaps should consider the trans and rear end oils in a "Severe Service Cycle" change interval. Dont Forget Those Out-Of-Sight Lubes !!

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, for those of us running taller 345/30/19's, by my calculations they reduce the rear gear ratio by 6.6%, so with stock gears I'm effectively at 2.87 rather than 3.07. Installing 3.55's results in an effective ratio of 3.32--which should be just about right for my Roe s/c'd car. Anything wrong with this analysis?

I sent you an e-mail about differential prices. :)

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Riverflyer I sent you a PM, check that blinking little annoying envelope next to the summary button on upper left hand side lol. I sent it yesterday ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo