For all those that said the new Viper looks like a Camaro.....

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Are we supposed to be flattered?

Autoweek anounced this "new" special edition camaro................geez! copycats!

ug
You must be registered for see images
ly!

awe
some!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta say that the stripes MAKE the new Viper. But, I never thought the new Viper looked like a Camaro....I think it looks like a Honda S2000!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is unreal... !!! everyone should go and look at this total
rip off... how can another company flat out copy the paint scheme ?
can you say "lawsuit"!!! I would think the guys a dodge must be first, laughing, then filing a suit. In this country your not suppose to be able to "steal" someone else's work and that is exactly what GM has done here!!!
it is a disgrace!!

my 2 cents I will now get off my soapbox....

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New viper looks like a step backwards. Where are the beautiful curves and lines of the car? Now it looks vanilla.

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of us have already expressed our extreme dissatisfaction over the design of the 2003 Viper Convertible. This is just more proof of how big of a design failure DC has made. When it looks so much like other cars & other cars can easily be made to look like it, the Viper has lost it's identity. Maybe Camaro owners will like the new Viper Convertible & keep it alive. That may be the DC plan. The new Viper is just some other car & will end the production of the real Viper.
It should be interesting to watch how this all turns out.
VardaMan

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one don't think it matters who copied who. The point being that two different cars from two different manufacturers are so similar. Porsche is changing the nose on the carrera because its looks too much (identical) like their entry level boxter..... and although that is an extreme example, it still boils down to the fact that someone who spends alot on their car does not want to be mistaken for a car thats 1/3 of the price. Ya the performance numbers are great, and if they do produce a coupe I probably will buy one, but it will never be able to replace my original viper. The original viper is one of the most unique vehicles on the road, a true exotic. If only the new viper was more like the GTS-R concept. Well, we can always look forward to Gen IV or V, or just mod the hell out of the ones we already have.....1500TT anyone???

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, you took the words RIGHT out of my keyboard... You're right. It SURE DOES LOOK EXACTLY LIKE A CAMARO.. If you can't see that, you're legally blind...

2 steps backwards as far as styling... 1 step forward for proformance...

The Viper will soon have the fate of the awesome feirce corvette, fading lines and a sad run of the mill wedge shape....
In the future there will be a try at a comeback at what they ruined in starting w/ 2003, but it will be too late..

The new Viper is for the C4 and C5 Corvette generation, not the GenI and GenII Viper generation..

Gerald

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Gee guys,

I was trying to PROVE that they look NOTHING like each other!

I just thought it was funny that AUTOWEEK had anounced the Camaro's special edition, and it had the stripes similar to the concept cars (and this "VCA member enhanced" picture of the 2003 production car).

Anyone that has seen the new 2003 will agree that it looks NOTHING like a camaro, corvette, OR s2000! It's lower, wider, and meaner looking. Yes, agreed, once you produce a true convertible you are definitely limited as to how "far away" the design can take you (you're only working with 1/2 a car (no roof!), but the elements that WE wanted in our nest generation Viper are there:

V10
TRUE convertible
500+ HORSEPOWER
500+ Cubes
0-60 in LESS THAN 4.0

This car will make ALL other production cars (yes, including EVERY SUPERCAR!!!) hide their head in shame!

... and although we don't know when (and if) the coupe will be developed.... I'm guessing AUTOFORM and BIFF can't wait to get their hands on the car to mold a hardtop that looks similar to the concept GTS/R! ... a few ground effects mods, a deeper front facia, a stripe or two...and Voila!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well at least it;s the last year of the Camaro. Let them copy and be done with.

As far as the Viper goes, here's my "looks" ranking on all Vipers so far from best to better (there's no worst)

GT2 (winged)
GTS
2004 GTS?
current RT
original RT
2003 RT

I think that while the 2003 RT looks crap, the 2004 or beyond GTS will look great while not exceeding the looks of the current GTS.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I waited until I saw what the new Vette was going to look like, (a take off on the 63 stingray, with various levels of power that dont quite go over the top like the Viper did), and I waited to see what the 03 Viper looked like, (Camaro, Intrepid, S2000), and I have to say that I am very glad I bought an 01 GTS. This appears to be the last hurrah for the most aggressive and beautiful shape to come out of the USA.

I feel the new Viper does not capture the lines, or the mystique of the current car. It is too angular, plasticy (!) looking. Kind of looks like a Japanese cartoon robot, without any street soul.

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic

Where did you see the new Corvette..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I think the new viper isnt as good looking as the current one. The 03 is too generic..
frown.gif

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Here's some excitement:

scorp508

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FUSCUCLA1:
Even the rims are almost identical, is that for real?????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And where did the new Viper get it's rim styling from?

You must be registered for see images attach

;) And I think the SS Camaros had those same rims on the one above in 2000 also.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those Gen III pics do nothing for me, they should have built the GTS-R concept. That was the next logical step.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

Do you draw a salary from DC? Funky colors will not save a poor design. All those sharp corners simply do not belong on a Viper. Do was the designer on this thing anyway?

And once again I would like to state that I have seen this vehicle up close and in person and it looks a lot like a camaro, corvette, s2000, a lot of other cars on the road right now.

I am so tired of hearing that the car had to be ugly to perform so well. Or the ever popular "who cares what it looks like because it performs so well".

It only takes a few grand to make any Gen II perform on the same level as the 2003. Sure the new motor is better, but not that much better. The original Viper was that ever so rare combination of style AND performance.

I guess I should stop complaining and just appreciate that the Gen I and Gen II existed at all. 10 years is a good run for any car, much less one as unlikely and as unexpected as the Viper. RIP..

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
I would LOVE to draw a salary, but instead, I am just a lowly enthusiast.

I respect your points on the 2003, and don't completely disagree that there is a striking difference between our beloved classic originals, and this next generation car. We have discussed this many times, and yes, there is an obvious "force" behind our cars that makes them absolutely breathtaking at any angle, both in pictures and "live". I will agree that the 2003 does NOT have the same magnetism, but I for one, believe that the 2003 WILL become as desireable, if not more, than our current beauties.

I enjoy discussions on the subject, as I know that most here have been car lovers for their entire lives, and this is the first opportunity for most to try to predict whether this next generation car will go the route of the Thunderbird (bigger, softer), ... I doubt it,... or go the route of the Dino/328/360 and evolve through decades of sometimes better styling...sometimes questionable styling but clearly stay "close" to the front of the pack (obviously, our Snakes are ALWAYS in front of 'em).

Hold on to this post...so that you can tell me "I told 'ya so" if it doesn't work out this way... but my belief is we will ALL be more attracted to our 2003's than to our soon to be classic Snakes when you hand over the keys on the lucky day you trade it in.

25 Years from now...the only thing that'll go through our minds is why we didn't keep both!

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Why do I believe that we will be more attracted to our 2003's?... c'mon Steve ... 500 HP! from the factory! Bigger motor! More torque! Sidepipes! ABS! Convertible! I might even be able to keep up to you on the track! LOL!

By the way, our NEW NJ newsletter is up on our site (www.viperclubofamerica.com). Lots of events! Let me know when you're coming down.

Reaction score
They took away from the 2003 what we have now, and that is the look of FEAR. One guy in my neighbergood said, and I quote him.."tony, you don't have to even ride this car, it looks like it moving fast".. So, from the shows I went to in ny and what I have read on the car, yes it will be a hit, and yes its faster, but faster to who?? By a few more top miles? By a thousandth of a second in the quarter?? I dont want to say I hate the car since I have to give it a chance when it comes on the street, but I shore will miss that brute look the generation 2 cars have..My 2 cents..

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 2nd picture of the Viper with stripes - *I* did that picture in Photoshop... we should remember guys that Dodge has NEVER shown that car in stripes, so if anything, the Camaro did it first and we are copying them. The Camaro is also the inverse of the (I think) 1996 Anniv. Camaro which was white with orangey/red stripes.

Now, since we've rekindled the Viper Gen-3 bashing, I need to agree with everyone that it looks terrible to me. Yeah, I'd probably get one, but I'd never be that passionate about it. Some people were saying that the Viper NEEDED to be more aerodynamic to be able to keep up with the joneses (read: Z06, Porsches, Ferraris), but that's BS as far as I'm concerned... when does aerodynamics come into play? Certainly not below about 100mph, and even after that, they are rarely a factor. Who cares if the Gen3 goes 205 instead of 190? not me... but I'd rather have it look cool and top out at 180 than look like the hell spawn of a Miata and a Camaro and skit on the high side of 2 bills.

I just don't see why we can't have our cake and eat it too... we are all waaay to kissy to Dodge about this design. They did us right with the motor and driveline, but they screwed us on the look... let's hope they redeem themselves with a gorgeous GTS that has as much bark as it has bite.