Ford Cobra Concept

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did some searching and did not see anything on the new Shelby Ford Cobra Concept car. Has anyone seen Motor Trend's March issue?

Forget the Ford GT. If you have not, check out the Cobra Concept on page 59. This is like Viper all over again in 1992. They need to design a top and windows for it. 40 valve aluminum v-10 producing 600 hp. Check out the top view on page 63!

If they produce this car for under 100K, I'm in: Dodge did it with the Viper.

I don't see where Ford will have any more invested in the new Cobra than Dodge invested in the Viper, so it should be under 100K as suggested by Motor Trend.

I'm definitely waiting for this car to go into production

rac156

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not much of a Ford fan but I did have the opportunity to see the cobra concept at the Chicago auto show over the weekend(I have some pictures if someone wants to post them for me). I thought it was quite impressive. The look is a very good modern interpretation of the old car. I don't understand why they felt the need for a V10 vs. a true to the original V8 and I think the Ford logos need to be replaced with Shelby logos. Other than that I think its a great car and I hope it makes it to the street.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Cobra sounds anything like the V10 mule they ran in the concept Mustang - it'll turn some serious heads when stood on.

It must have a different firing sequence to the Viper - that Ford cammer V10 sounds like a big block V8 on steriods when opened up - just smoother!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The announced production price is $100,000 -- production is still not 100% assured.

I think Ford stated a similar amount for the GT when first shown. I would not bank on production or price.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't understand why/how they could market competiting cars under the same banner. Price points, performance should parallel?

While I would love to see the car hit the streets, the economics don't make sense to me. Of course neither do the economics for DC producing Vipers beyond the forseeable future.

rac156

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the cobra using a lot of the GT parts overhead costs will be way down when divided between two cars instead of one.
With two cars to sell sales for the two cas will be more than with just one.Some people who wouldn't buy a GT will buy a cobra, People who wouldn't buy a cobra will buy a GT and some will buy both. In the end I would think it would come out better in the end having two cars instead of just one.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding was that the new Cobra was going to come to market after the Ford GT's planned 3 year run. Replacing it.

For me that's a real shame. I think that the Ford GT is a beautiful design (as the GT40 was, and nicely redone).
But the new Cobra is NOT appealing to me at all! :(

The headlights are awkward, and the slab-sided chunky look is one of the common styling mistakes of this new century. It's more "modern", but has far less flair than the original bulging, muscularly curved fenders of the classic Cobra.

I would have preferred if they had taken the Shelby Series II and dropped the V10 into that car and called it a Cobra.

Different is NOT always better.

-Dean.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not much of a Ford fan but I did have the opportunity to see the cobra concept at the Chicago auto show over the weekend(I have some pictures if someone wants to post them for me). I thought it was quite impressive. The look is a very good modern interpretation of the old car. I don't understand why they felt the need for a V10 vs. a true to the original V8 and I think the Ford logos need to be replaced with Shelby logos. Other than that I think its a great car and I hope it makes it to the street.

I would love to see the pictures! :D

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pix in this months Road & Track I think. Looks a little too boxy for me...miss the flow of the original design.

Paul :usa:

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For half the price, Superformance Cobra, fantastic quality, handling, performance with the original look, not a kit car. Also an old timer on this board, Doublevenom builds cobras with the Viper V10 engine, very nice car, again a lot less money for a better product than what Ford is showing now.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the special a while back on TV. It is amazing. The sound it puts out is incredible. The power it puts out is amazing. And yes, the sound is enough to wake the dead. The way it should be in my opinion.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Such sound would never be allowed on a production vehicle due to govt. restrictions.
Concept car has no top. Also would need to be addressed prior to production.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car looks like an original cobra, redesigned by a bricklayer. No good curves. Shelbys last hurrah? boo. IMHO

I totally agree!

I just picked up the R & T. Page 51-52 has a decent picture or two. But how BORING does that car look?! :(

God Bless the Viper!! :headbang:

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Such sound would never be allowed on a production vehicle due to govt. restrictions.
Concept car has no top. Also would need to be addressed prior to production.

Hey Mr. Killjoy...duh. I was speaking figuratively...lol :crazy:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang