Forgeline VR1 wheels, will they clear Dave's Big Brake kit?

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The diameter is not an issue since the VR1 I'm looking at are 19's, just need to make sure the spokes clear the caliper.

I remember Dave listed all the wheels that works with the brake upgrade, but the website is not active anymore.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 18" Forgeline VR1s on my Roe Racing 14" lightweight brake kit with no issues.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I also tried my stock wheels and they seemed to fit with the lightweight rotors. Perhaps the 'hats' are thicker so that no spacer is needed? Leslie has the same brakes except she's using the stock Gen 3/4 all steel rotors and her wheels require spacers. Call Sean Roe or send him an email to see if you need spacers.

You also didn't secify if you've got stock steel or lightweight (ACR style) rotors.

Ted

OP
OP
Alternative

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ted! Car had SSR wheels. As for the brake set up, it's got Dave's BBK (SRT calipers/rotors front and rear).

Do you also have the SRT calipers on the rears? I've been told the rears with SRT calipers won't clear the spokes without a spacer. At least, on Forgeline VR3's, not sure if those have the same offset as the VR1's (50 fronts, 40 rears).

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock 43mm rear ABS calipers on rear. Since rear brakes only do 20% of braking the big brakes are a waste of thousands more dollars. I have the 13" slotted/drilled Stop-tech lightweight calipers.

When I broke-in my pads and brakes all 4 rotors turned equal Blue color during tempering. That shows a perfect brake Balance for my car.

Lightweight rotors and wheels probably lighten my car about 100# and that's part of the reason for upgrading brakes. Personally, I think that the stock 01 rears heatup and start braking faster because of the smaller surface area?

My VR1s are the original 18" Billet wheels. Yours are the 3 piece?

Ted

OP
OP
Alternative

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car already came with Dave's BBK, I'm just looking to purchase a used set of 19" VR1's.

A fellow member here has the multi-piece 19" VR3's and confirmed that the rears will need a spacer to clear the SRT calipers. I'll just call Forgeline tomorrow and find out if both the VR1 and VR3 carry the same offset.