FORGET WHAT YOU HEARD ABOUT THE FORD GT!!!!!!

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the latest test!!!! and it already has been up against the srt and lost!!!!

vd..

Oh really?...It looked like the first test numbers they did before that 11.2 131 test vs the Enzo etc. I stand corected.......Hmmm.I guess that car was a ringer....Does it even hit 200mph then? This is not good news for the FGT fan club...I dont think Ive ever seen a car tested and restested with such varing performance before...Wonder what state of tune that Top Gear GT was in....

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Automobile" is a Euro biased RAG!!!! The numbers they get for American cars are always bad. Don't trust this rag, that's for sure. The two mags I have found to be 'fairly' accurate measuring performance are Motor Trend and Car & Driver.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And since we are bench racing lets not forget that the GT did a 1.21 lap in the dry on the Top Gear track...The SRT10 did a 1.28 in the wet but if you factor in the 4sec improvement that usually occurs when restested in the dry it still wont approach the GT's 1.21 lap time

The only car that I know of that Top Gear tested in both wet and dry conditions was the (all wheel drive) Murcielago.

Wet track time 1:29
Dry track time 1:23.7

Looks like just a tad better than a 4 second improvement wet vs dry.

Not to mention the Murc. is AWD!!!! An AWD car has a huge advantage in the Wet vs. RWD. Anyone who has driven a Viper realizes it is probably THE WORST high performance car in the wet. Huge rear tires, RWD, and big torque is a horrible combination in the wet. If were going to bench race, I'd say a Viper would have a larger performance difference in dry/wet vs. the AWD Murc. So figure 6+ seconds for the Viper, minimum. Of course, we'll probably never find out..... Too bad...

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty strange results, this test. Very quick 0-100 time for the CGT, but 1.0 second slower for the SLR? Here's another head-to-head test in which they're dead even to 100 kmh and 200 kmh (granted, that's 124 mph, but still...), and the SLR pretty much having its way with the CGT to 300 kmh.

You must be registered for see images

As I recall, the SRT-10 and Ford GT have never gone head to head. The MT data panel for the SRT-10 vs FGT wasn't a same-day, same place test. You'd have to compare how they perform at the same place, and preferably by the same magazine to rule out variations in driver skill, traction, test equipment & procedures, etc. In MT's case, that would mean comparing the FGT's near-Enzo times at Ford's Arizona Proving Grounds, which is where that SRT-10 test took place; that's also the place for the quickest Murcielago, CGT, 360 Modena, and Enzo 1/4 mile times on record.
FWIW, the FGT has also turned an 11.7 @ 123 by Autocar (done with a full tank and passenger):
http://www.autocarmagazine.com/RoadTest_FullData.asp?RT=209359
That's the same car driven/thrashed by TopGear, Evo, the Telegraph, CAR (twice now), among others BTW.

But yeah, that blistering CGT 0-100 time notwithstanding, Automobile Magazine is generally pretty slow. Here's how the SRT-10 fared in their testing (0-60: 4.2, 1/4: 12.3 @ 120). C&D's 0-100 time for the SRT-10 tested the same month was 9/10ths quicker.

http://img5.exs.cx/img5/8749/124ex.jpg

So this performance for the FGT is spot-on with that earlier test by R&T done when the GT was rated at 500 hp. Having gone through that Mustang Cobra dyno debacle a few years back, I don't think they're keen to repeat. ;)

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm.I guess that car was a ringer....Does it even hit 200mph then?
If it's the Motor Trend car you're wondering about, yes, it hit 200 mph (and could've gone even faster with a better track):

Looks like @ around 195, it pulls a bit harder than CGT (but, dang, look how steep the Enzo's acceleration curve is at 200-210 :eek: ; guess Ferrari wasn't messing around when it comes to active aero)

FWIW, the SRT-10 managed 182 mph here with Justin Bell at the wheel.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm.I guess that car was a ringer....Does it even hit 200mph then?
If it's the Motor Trend car you're wondering about, yes, it hit 200 mph (and could've gone even faster with a better track):

Looks like @ around 195, it pulls a bit harder than CGT (but, dang, look how steep the Enzo's acceleration curve is at 200-210 :eek: ; guess Ferrari wasn't messing around when it comes to active aero)

FWIW, the SRT-10 managed 182 mph here with Justin Bell at the wheel.

Actually Im wondering if the car tested in the article VD posted hit 200...The car that did 11.2 @ 131 vs the Enzo and CGT "BARELY" hit 200mph....Thats why Im wondering if this obviously slower FGT in VD's article posted a 200mph run....I dont think all these GT's that are being tested are equal in hp....Although, there are many variables that can account for its drop in speed like altitude, fuel, driver etc but 123mph-131mph is a big power difference...

As for the Enzo no doubt its acceleration is insane..Not sure if its true but Ive heard its hit 226mph in Europe on another site...You need a Mclaren to kill it or a blown Viper :smirk:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Look at all the mistakes in "Kim Reynolds" rinky-dink graphics-
1. The far left side of the bar at the top of the graph is described as "Exiting Corner and Braking", but the vertical dotted line from the left side of the graph extends down to the track at mid-corner, which is defintely NOT "Exiting the Corner-".

2. The side-bar text at the right side of the graph says the mid-corner speed for the FGT was 186. If the far left side of the graph is showing the mid-corner speed, (as the dotted line suggests), and not "Exiting" as it says in the top bar, then there is a discrepancy, not only between the bar label and the dotted line, but also between the graph and the text. The sidebar text to the right of the graph states mid corner speed for the FGT as 186, but the red line (FGT) on the left side of the graph shows a mid-corner speed of about 178. If the left side of the graph is actually "Exiting the Corner and Acceleration", (as it claims), thats wrong, because Herta states on page 69 that he is going "over 190 coming off the banking". If the right side of the graph is supposed to show Herta's "190 coming off the banking", then it still doesn't make sense, because that side of the graph is labeled "Braking" in the top bar. No matter how you take the meaning of the graph, it doesn't match the text in any way! Utterly incomprehensible trash.

3. The far right side of the bar at the top of the graph is described as "Braking", but again, the vertical dotted line from the right side of the graph extends down to the track at mid-corner, which is defintely NOT "Braking". Braking is done before turn-in, and even trail-braking would be over with before mid-corner, especially when the corners are as long as those at the APG. Within their claimed "Braking" area, the speeds are actually increasing! The only actual braking that could be referenced is the downward spike before corner entry, but again, the "Braking" zone covers far more than the downward spike. It should be called "Braking and Mid Corner", or at least something other than just simply "Braking". The speeds shown on the right side of the chart should be close to the speeds shown of the left side of the chart for any realistic continuity, even if they are only trying to show half a lap. I don't think Herta reported a bunny wabbit splattered on the windshield at any time, so there is no reason for his speed at the left side of the graph to be so much lower than his speed on the right side. The Ferrari's and PGT's speeds are much closer in MPH from side to side of the chart, identical in fact, but the FGT's is shown to be as slow as the SLOWEST PART OF THE BRAKING ZONE, or about 178. Surely he wasn't going that slow in mid-corner, or especially not corner exit for that matter! He would have had to ride the brakes all the way around the back side of the track, to be as slow in mid-corner, (or even if its really "Exiting...) as he was at the end of braking. Something just doesn't add up.

4. The approximate difference between the Enzo's 211 top speed and the PGT's 201.5 speed is about 10mph, shown by a separation of about 5 boxes on the graph. That would make each box worth about 2 mph. In contrast, the approximate 1 mph difference between the PGT's speed and the FGT's speed is represented by 2 boxes, making it look like the PGT is faster than it really is at that point. It should show the FGT's red line right on top of the PGT's line, since the difference in their speed at that point is only about 1 mph, or 1/2 of a box. Selective proportions in the name of clarity? Why would the graphics artist be concerned with clarity here, when the rest of the graphics is so oblivious to, and unconcerned with, clarity?

The unfortunate part is that the graph carries more weight in reader's minds than the text does, or, at least at a cursory glance it makes the Ferrari's and Porsche's cornering speeds look magnitudes greater than the FGT's, which is totally wrong and a gross misrepresentation. If the graph accurately represented the facts of the data, it would show the red line for the FGT coming of the banking at Herta's stated 190+, not down near 178. The slope of the red line would rotate clockwise, starting at "over 190" on the left, covering the PGT blue line most of the way up to 200mph, and the Ferrari's purple line wouldn't pop up its head above the FGT's red line much until after 200mph, when its 651 HP, low drag, and svelte 3200 lb weight carries it along to 211mph. The FGT is not far off this mark. The FGT's red line should have showed that the FGT is truly a world class exotic, and runs with the big dogs. The divergence in performance between the Ferrari and the FGT is not as great as most would assume, seeing how the revered Enzo costs 4X as much. The silly little graph should show that the FGT is a near equal to the $450,000 PGT.

Any way you slice it, Kim Reynolds shows that he or she is better at cute but meaningless magazine graphics, than actually presenting the test data in an accurate, intelligent way. Doesn't anyone look at that crap before they print it? Sheesh! Shame on you, MT!

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Magazine racing is and always will be for losers. To quote a magazine that gets an 11.90 out of an SLR, which is substantially quicker than an SL65 whom your very own Ben Treynor whipped an 11.6 from, is futile.

Has anybody here raced a Ford GT? Oh? No...well then I guess we'll wait until real humans hit the pavement with them. Motor City Madman raced his bolt on Viper GTS against the Ford GT and said from 4th gear on the GT pulled easily, and I've seen the GT pushed to just under 300kph in well under 30 seconds, which is closer to Enzo territory than SRT. Having pounded on the GT myself, it's substantially more powerful up top than my 500rwhp Z06.

It's a said day when another chain in the "well with this $$$ I saved in mods I'll whoop this more expensive cars ass dood!!!!!" link is formed...sigh.

:usa:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line: The Ford GT is BADASP! The last car that stirred my soul like this was the 1996 GTS.

BUT, in the real World money IS a factor. And when the GTS came out, the common man could save ALL his pennies and possibly own one..... If not new, used. The dream was there... Viper - The first 'working class' exotic ever built. This is where the Ford GT falls short. It is out of reach for all but the wealthy. Too bad....

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ford Gt is bad ass. That is the worst test for a Murcielago ive seen. My guess is that they babied it off the line instead of a nice 4 wheel drive launch.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ford GT is a special car that deserves respect in its own right. Such as the Viper deserving respect it its own right. You can compare the 2 in terms of HP and performance, but they are still 2 different purpose built cars. The Ford GT is a collector's piece and if you see any on the roads of this great country, then savor the moment because the other 1900 of them are in garages under lock and key. You won't find them on the streets, and at close to 250-300K?

If you need further confirmation, just look at the 1998 GTS GT2. How many of those bad boys do see listed on our own classified section? None. They're all holding their value and won't drop any time soon. Why? They were made in extreme small numbers, plus they were made to commemorate the FIA Series in which Dodge won for 2 years straight.

My .02

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thats the way I look at it too. Wish I could afford to collect all the great cars of our time.

OP
OP
V

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats the way I look at it too. Wish I could afford to collect all the great cars of our time.

maybe next year or the year after, I will be buying another supercar in that price range but it won't say ford on it!!!!

more like LAMBO!!!!!!

vd..

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
More power to ya, VD!

I don't dislike foreign cars, but I just like domestics. In fact, I'd rather push my domestic, rather than drive foreign. :D

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ford recalls its $140,000 GT supercar for safety defect

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. is recalling its $140,000 Ford GT supercar to repair a defect that could cause loss of control, the automaker confirmed today.

Nearly 450 vehicles - all Ford GTs built to date - are affected by a suspension component problem that originated with a supplier, said spokeswoman Kristen Kinley. The component is subject to cracking because of a casting process error.

"If it cracks, it could cause the wheel to become unstable," said Kinley, who would not identify the supplier. "And if the wheel becomes unstable at high speed, that's a safety issue.

The defect was discovered during a pre-delivery inspection of a single car. Of 448 vehicles affected by the reall, 111 are in the hands of private owners. Ford has contacted these owners and warned them not to drive their cars until the automaker determines how to fix the problem, Kinley said.

Ford will pick up those vehicles that are in private hands, she added.

The remaining cars are at dealerships or the assembly site in Wixom.

Ford has also told dealers not to allow test drives until their vehicles have been repaired, Blue Oval News reported Sunday.

The Ford GT was rushed into production to mark the automaker's centennial in 2003. It went from the drawing board to the street in less than 18 months - about half the time of a normal vehicle development program.

Three cars were hand-built for Ford's 100-year anniversary. Engineers then went back to work on the production car.

The 550-hp two-seater, which has a certified top speed of 205 mph, went into full production earlier this year as a 2005 model.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang