Frame Recall Question

mdurbahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was looking at a car, the carfax shows this:

Recall Results: Open Recall found*:
Manufacturer Safety recall issued
#998 STEERING AND DIFFERENTIAL FRAME REPAIR

I guess it means that recall wasn't performed yet? Can you still bring a older gts in to get that fixed?

thanks, matt

Reaction score
If the recall is actually open you can have it done. Be sure the dealer that is doing the work has a clue as to how it is done. We have seen dozens of them come through this shop that are no better than before the recall was done because of shoddy welding and prep work so be aware of the difficulty. If it is done wrong once the second time to redo will be on your dime.

I was looking at a car, the carfax shows this:

Recall Results: Open Recall found*:
Manufacturer Safety recall issued
#998 STEERING AND DIFFERENTIAL FRAME REPAIR

I guess it means that recall wasn't performed yet? Can you still bring a older gts in to get that fixed?

thanks, matt

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YES make sure the Dealer has done them before!!
WOW has it been that long? To date I have done over 300 of them and had to correct 46 done WRONG! Hey Mark Chrysler WILL pay for it the second time if you can prove that it was done wrong in the first place! I got paid for the 46!! :D

Matt, call me anytime and I can tell you all about that Recall. :cool:

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, will Chrysler pay for this to me done on a recontructed car? I am fixing a car for a customer that has an R title. I was going to do this myself, but if Chrysler pays for it I will send it to you.

Reaction score
Chuck,

Yea I know I can get paid to do the recall but will they pay all the labor for removing the crappy welds and cleaning up mess before re doing it? This can really add up if you want it done right and looking good also.

YES make sure the Dealer has done them before!!
WOW has it been that long? To date I have done over 300 of them and had to correct 46 done WRONG! Hey Mark Chrysler WILL pay for it the second time if you can prove that it was done wrong in the first place! I got paid for the 46!! :D

Matt, call me anytime and I can tell you all about that Recall. :cool:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been putting off doing the recall on my '97 GTS because I've seen a few of them that looked like a ******** monkey did the work... Now that it's almost a coin-flip that Chrysler is going to be a going concern, I'm starting to get worried that I better get it done now or be SOL later on.

Anyone know of decent dealers here in Silicon Valley that have done a good job? I've seen 'so-so' work come out of both Hartzheim and Stevens Creek Dodge. I've talked to techs at both places and of course they say it's no problem to do, but I've taken such good care of this car over the last 12 years that I don't want to have to unscrew something now...

If I can't find a good dealer, has anyone managed to just get the parts kit?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked around but couldn't fins photos of a properly done frame recall job. I found the complete instruction set on the Chrysler site, but its orthographic drawings which are, of course, accurate but not as good as looking at a photo of a well done job.

Does anyone have a link to photos of a properly done deal?

:usa:

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do a search, as I posted in the past how I was able to just get the kit from my dealer and set it aside so if I ever needed it, I would have it. I was able to also get a complete printout of the 96 pages of instructions and did my own inspection, found no problems. But I now have the kit, should it ever be needed in the future. I did have to sign off with the dealer, but I would rather spend my own money and know who did the work and what quality, should my car ever have a problem in future years. Especially as it is looking more and more that Chrysler won't be around long.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have put it off for a long time as well. I would love to know of a dealer close to me that has done this recall, correctly, before. I had planned to take it to Tom S. but he is 6 hours away and it makes it hard to find the time. I like in Aiken SC 29801. There has to be a dealer around here that has done them before. Chuck you coming to Aiken any time soon. I will make some deviled eggs. LOL

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to crawl under mine this weekend for some exhaust work. I know the recall was done here at the local dealership now that I think of it my gussets were riveted in with big **** rivets and I don't think they welded them. Chuck would that be considered done incorrectly?

Last edited:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to crawl under mine this weekend for some exhaust work. I know the recall was done here at the local dealership now that I think of it my gussets were riveted in with big **** rivets and I don't think they welded them. Chuck would that be considered done incorrectly?

The gussets are riveted on, the welding is above them on the top of the crossmember to tie in the steering rack brackets to the frame rails. Send me some pictures and I will be able to tell if it was done correctly. :cool:

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark at Woodhouse did the recall on my 97 two months ago and was great to work with. I would highly recommend them and I think they send trailers all over the place to pick up your car.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc