Frequent transmission failure and pedal adjustment

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

We have a fairly high ratio of transmission failures with "tall guys". Those who adjust the pedals to the maximum extent see higher transmission failure rates. I have also noticed, if the pedals are pushed back to the maximum the gear change is not as smooth as it should be.

I know that there was a kit available to fix this issue.

Is there something that can easy this pedal adjustment versus pedal effectivness problem ?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What common transmission failure are you finding in these cases?

Are these with multiple vehicles and drivers or one/two individual repeats?

I would assume with the pedals at max distance away from the driver possibly the clutch is not being fully disengaged causing the transmission wear and ultimate failure.

:usa:

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ditto. I don't know that I could drive mine without the pedals back as far as possible.

I'm also interested in hearing what model year cars you're referring to - and most importantly what kinds of failures you're seeing.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have my interest too since I drive with my pedals all the way out. Let us know what you are seeing in these cases.:eater:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for giggles, I went out to see if the clutch travel might be limited by the floorboard when the pedals are in the full-back position, and it seems like there is plenty of clearance on both the GTS and the '09 ACR. About the only thing that I could think of happening is the clutch travel could be limited, and the synchros therefore get worn out because people aren't using all of their clutch when shifting ?? I'd like to find out what the correlation causes are. Might just be that us tall guys are uncoordinated and can't shift :)

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 3 models, 3 different drivers, all above 6''.
In the last 2 years we broke 11 transmissions ! During the last 6 years we broke 15 transmissions ...
Average transmission life is 10000mi.

I am 100% sure the problem is related to the pedal adjustment.

On the other hand we have "small" guys racing on weekly basis on drag strips and their transmission last 30000mi.
And they really beat the hell out of their Viper.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the last 2 years we broke 11 transmissions ! During the last 6 years we broke 15 transmissions ...

On the other hand we have "small" guys racing on weekly basis on drag strips and their transmission last 30000mi.

Specifically what broke? Syncros like everyone assumes?

:usa:

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Curse my large structure. It's bad enough I look like King Kong driving a Viper. Now I'm gonna tear out the tranny just because I'm taller than the average bear. Doh! Could I move the pedals up 1/2" and remove the soles from my shoes? :D

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I've heard of this, what failures are you seeing ?
With the pedals adjusted all the way forward the ratios are the same as the earlier non adj. pedal set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss