Freshly waxed

ViperPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waxed for the first time!

I can't believe how beautiful this car is. I never thought id like the blue so much without white stripes- but damn i do!

Also the car that started it all! Me at age 15 standing next to a Viper GTS at Lime Rock Park Raceway. It was at the Shelby meeting and i got a chance to meet Carrol Shelby! I also had 2 broken arms at the time. Bike accident. What fun though!

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
She does clean up well

So tell us more about your Evil Knievel days!!!

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Ride...Nice Vipers do bring big happiness to owners...

Pull that cool Lincoln out of the garage and post some pictures and the story... That car was the cats axxx in it day....

OP
OP
V

ViperPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Lincoln is actually kind of a neat story. Its a 1973 Lincoln Mark IV. It does have the 460 and only has 55k miles. My grandfather parked it in long island back in 1979. He died a few years later. The car sat from 1979 to 2012 in the same garage without ever moving an inch. My uncle gives me a call in December of 2012 and says "you want this thing"? I said.... hell yea! He ships it down to me (florida). The car is immaculate. Still had original Michelin tires. They were flat so i filled them with air (they actually held air). Put some fresh gas in it and a new battery..... FIRED RIGHT UP! I couldn't believe it. Since then i have replaced the entire suspension, brakes, steering system, points/plugs/wires, rebuilt eh transmission and new rear main seal, and new tires. Added true dual exhaust. I got fixed it up because i wanted to use the car in our wedding. And i drive it work every few weeks. I gotta clean out the carb as it hasn't been done in forever. Otherwise i have never has so much fun driving so slow!

SRT BILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real nice pictures, looks like you keep your rides clean. What wax did you use on the Viper? I've used Mothers California Gold Synthetic Wax for my first wax job. So far seems to be good. Not sure how it will hold up to a couple of washings.

OP
OP
V

ViperPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wax I used is this Meguire's ultimate stuff. Not thrilled with it honestly. I like wax that is thick. These synthetic waxes I have tried just don't seem to give a good long lasting sheen.

SRT BILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete, this is the type of feedback I was looking for. I believe you are correct on this, I've been having the same experience. I will say its very easy to use and can do the whole car in a short time. But does not hold up to washing very long..

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
The Lincoln is actually kind of a neat story. Its a 1973 Lincoln Mark IV. It does have the 460 and only has 55k miles. My grandfather parked it in long island back in 1979. He died a few years later. The car sat from 1979 to 2012 in the same garage without ever moving an inch. My uncle gives me a call in December of 2012 and says "you want this thing"? I said.... hell yea! He ships it down to me (florida). The car is immaculate. Still had original Michelin tires. They were flat so i filled them with air (they actually held air). Put some fresh gas in it and a new battery..... FIRED RIGHT UP! I couldn't believe it. Since then i have replaced the entire suspension, brakes, steering system, points/plugs/wires, rebuilt eh transmission and new rear main seal, and new tires. Added true dual exhaust. I got fixed it up because i wanted to use the car in our wedding. And i drive it work every few weeks. I gotta clean out the carb as it hasn't been done in forever. Otherwise i have never has so much fun driving so slow!

WOW.... Very Nice

You've got a wonderful collection, all fun to drive with there own unique experience

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
freshly waxed ! lol, thinking I'm on the corvette forum :D

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent Story...

Free2Go,let it go.....The Porsche is gone,let it go as the new toy is a Lamborghini Huracan,the Huracan is at a whole different level even than the Turbo S...So,this will be the last time I type Porsche or Turbo S or respond to your stupid axxxx comments...

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks great! Not sure if it needed any waxing allready, but a man has to do something with his new beauty I guess...

And agree with the wax, this 'the new' fool proof product, because nowadays most people don't want to take their time...these products are fast and easy

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent Story...

Free2Go,let it go.....The Porsche is gone,let it go as the new toy is a Lamborghini Huracan,the Huracan is at a whole different level even than the Turbo S...So,this will be the last time I type Porsche or Turbo S or respond to your stupid axxxx comments...

Full on tool.............

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Looks like more than one item is getting waxed on this thread

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have grown to hate waxing, if anyone here is a boat owner they can relate to that. Anyway try Zaino wax, its a 3 step process, but worth it, also Collinite fleetwax is great and long lasting thats what I use on the boat. and other cars.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wash with Dawn, clay bar, polish, then wax. Always looks good no matter what brand $hit you use. Of course I'd skip the first three steps if I was working on a new car.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Free is it tough to clay bar a car, I never tried it. I have F d up a few cars with compond, the paint on most cars seems so thin, I have to be real careful.

OP
OP
V

ViperPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Free is it tough to clay bar a car, I never tried it. I have F d up a few cars with compond, the paint on most cars seems so thin, I have to be real careful.

You only need to clay-bar if your paint has lots of crap on it. Like if it feels gritty. Other wise I was always taught to wax a new car over and over and over. Like every day off for several months. Then you build up a wicked barrier of wax. I have a 1998 Avenger with 120k and original paint- and the finish feels smooth as glass.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it is worth, keep in mind that the Gen V Viper has a different paint sytem than all prior generations. It is a far superior system with a much better clear coat. The difference between my Gen III paint and my Gen V paint was, and is, obvious. The owner of the hand car wash/detail place I go to noticed the difference immediately the first time I brought the car in.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not hard at all. I'll use a couple of clay bars for one car. Just flatten it out like a pancake, get the area you are gonna start working on wet, then slap on the pancake and move it gently East and West. Drizzle water on the area as you go, and just keep doing it until the clay bar glides across the area with hardly any resistance. You can feel the difference with your fingers. Once you're satisfied, rinse that area off thoroughly and move to the next. ViperPete is right, you wouldn't want to do that with a Gen V...but by the same token, you wouldn't want too many coats of wax on it either in the Florida heat and humidity. And of course never apply wax, remove wax, wash, or any damn thing in a circular motion...just gentle front to back motions like you are working the grain of a piece of wood.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The owner of the hand car wash/detail place I go to noticed the difference immediately the first time I brought the car in.

How in hell's creation would you let those yoyo's touch your T/A ?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The owner is a good friend and I stand there when they do the work by hand. The car is never left unattended by me.