Front splitter removal

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the front splitter? I have curb rash and several rock chips I would like to repair over the winter. Don't want to leave my car, prefer to remove and take it to them. Would you guys trust a reputable body shop our should it go back to the dealer?

Always sad to put the Viper up for the winter, at least you get to do your long term repairs.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would definitely remove the part myself and take the part to a reputable body shop. Definitely check with some of the VCA members from your region and I'm sure that they can point you in the right direction for either a reputable body shop or a good dealer body shop.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the front splitter? I have curb rash and several rock chips I would like to repair over the winter. Don't want to leave my car, prefer to remove and take it to them. Would you guys trust a reputable body shop our should it go back to the dealer?

Always sad to put the Viper up for the winter, at least you get to do your long term repairs.
Is this the OEM splitter or aftermarket? How do you intend to fix a carbon fiber part? This is not as easy as you may think. You may want to contact someone who does CF parts to get it repaired. Most likely, you would have to have it fixed and then wrapped in new carbon fiber. BTW, CF parts are built using epoxy resin, conventional body fillers will not stick to it. Body shops typically have no clue how to deal with this.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Working with CF is not voodoo magic. Unless the splitter is cracked badly it is relatively easy to repair.

But then again this is coming from a guy who did this for a living in the USAF for a very long time:D:D:D

Post up some pics of the splitter. I would be more than happy to offer some advise.

Steve A.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Working with CF is not voodoo magic. Unless the splitter is cracked badly it is relatively easy to repair.

But then again this is coming from a guy who did this for a living in the USAF for a very long time:D:D:D

Post up some pics of the splitter. I would be more than happy to offer some advise.

Steve A.
It ain't no job for a typical run of the mill body shop either, not to mention it is unclear if this is CF or CF wrapped fiberglass and if damage extends beyond clear coat.

OP
OP
C

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I do mean the front nose/bumper/splitter. I have a FE 2006 coupe and there is a 2 inch split on the bottom and some heavy curb rash. It's raining today, so it's not coming out of the garage. It is the painted part with the white stripes. The split is horizontal on the drivers side strip on the bottom. I do not think this is a carbon fiber part, feels more like fiberglass. I want the job done right so if anyone has recommendations in Louisville, KY am definitely open to suggestions.

Appreciate everyone's input!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I do mean the front nose/bumper/splitter. I have a FE 2006 coupe and there is a 2 inch split on the bottom and some heavy curb rash. It's raining today, so it's not coming out of the garage. It is the painted part with the white stripes. The split is horizontal on the drivers side strip on the bottom. I do not think this is a carbon fiber part, feels more like fiberglass. I want the job done right so if anyone has recommendations in Louisville, KY am definitely open to suggestions.

Appreciate everyone's input!
The bumper is actually urethane, easy to fix. Taking front wheels off helps, you need to take the wheel liners off to access the side screws on fenders. Also, you need to take off the little bottom deflectors, center piece and loosen up the undertray. Pretty straight forward but you will need a second hand of hands to support the bumper while removing it.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
by the time you get done paying someone to fix this, correctly and nice, you can buy a new one on here, vpa and have it painted and installed for prolly very close to the same price and keep your car nice and patch free...

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
by the time you get done paying someone to fix this, correctly and nice, you can buy a new one on here, vpa and have it painted and installed for prolly very close to the same price and keep your car nice and patch free...
seriously doubt this is the case unless the bumper is completely busted up. The shipping cost of the bumper alone will come close to the cost of repairs and the new bumper still will have to be fitted on the car unlike the old one.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chemeng, there is a shop east of Louisville that I have heard very good things about. A friend had his Viper painted there. I can get you the details if you want.

OP
OP
C

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Stretch! Long time no talk. Hope the move went well, you guys settled in? Please send me the shop info, want the job done right. Headed to KW in two weeks, need another flag?
Mike

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve A.
If I was you I would post a few pics like Steve said, he knows what he's talking about & he's trying to give you some Good Advise! jmo

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The move is going.... anxiously awaiting the house to start being built so I have a garage again. I'll get the name of the shop and shoot you an email.

Have fun in KW! I'll check the website to see if they have anything new that I need :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang