fuel injector life expectancy

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the typical life of a stock Viper injector? The engine is tumbling a bit around 2500 rpm and I am suspecting it might be an injector (I have eliminated all of the usual suspects..battery, plugs, wires, throttle body sync, reset ECU, fuel filter, etc.) I've got about 48,000 mi. on a stock '99 engine, never had an issues. I haven't driven with the problem long enough for it to start to show itself on the plugs (it may never). I am wondering if it might be time anyways to just clean (or replace) the injectors.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Injectors usually last longer than engines. They do get deposits that affecting fuel mixture preparation and cause hesitation, stumble, rough idle, etc. Try a $10 bottle of Techron.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bruce,
I just sent my injectors to RC Engineering in Torrance Ca. They clean, bench test and calibrate all the injectors so they are all equal and give you a report. They even replace the upper and lower O-rings. Takes about 1 day. Cost was about $270.00 + shipping.
My engine ran a bunch smoother after I got it done.

RC Fuel Injection

Make sure you tell them that you are a paid club member.
Lance

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bruce,
I just sent my injectors to RC Engineering in Torrance Ca. They clean, bench test and calibrate all the injectors so they are all equal and give you a report. They even replace the upper and lower O-rings. Takes about 1 day. Cost was about $270.00 + shipping.
My engine ran a bunch smoother after I got it done.

RC Fuel Injection

Make sure you tell them that you are a paid club member.
Lance

I'm going to say the "calibration" part is misleading. At least by their page here: Fuel Injector Cleaning

Looks like it is a flow/clean/flow sequence. If you have a factory Viper injector that needs a change in flow to match others, then IMO you have a bad injector, not a dirty one.

My procedure is flow/clean/flow. I do the work .... "I" means me, not some hourly paid person. That person somewhere else may really care about the service they give you, I can promise that it is not possible for them to care more than me.
If you by chance had a bad injector, I have spares sitting here.
I usually inspect the o-rings..... if needed, I have lowers and suggest if you need uppers or just want to go back with new ones that you order them from Chuck Tator/ Viper Wizard.
I'll also add, if you are having troubles...injectors or not....I can help you trouble shoot your Viper ;)
Oh yea, for Viper guys it is $120 for the complete set plus shipping.

Plus, I just renewed my VCA banner earlier today :D

Here is my machine ($5,000)

injector_mach_jpg.jpg

How to remove....straight from the service manual:

injector_removal.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960