fuel injector upgrade

SSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to install bigger injectors. Is this a do-it-yourselfer project? Any tips or tricks...

- Thank You

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill:

it is easy if you do not have to go to top feed injectors, then, it is not easy, doable, yes. Remember, you will also have to use the VEC2 or something similar, or it won't run right.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Doing top fed injectors is going require custom rails, fuel lines, an fittings, regulator, fuel pump...most likely external, etc...it can get into some money.

If you just want to do HP upgrades to around 650...the stock fuel system is good for that is you can manage to put more psi behind your injectors. do not over push them causing them to go static.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ab,

What kind of mods are you refering to? Inline fuel pump? What type of psi are you talking about?

Factory injectors are 29lb's, which means about 480rwhp @ stock 55psi(at least I think thats what it is).

Thanks

OP
OP
S

SSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only mild upgrades - heads, honed intake & T.B's, headers, 3" exhaust
w/ cats & a VEC 2 to be installed. I was going to upgrade to the
Gen 2 injectors. I didn't want to create a fuel mess if I pulled them.

Thanks Jack & Ab

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to dlarify one issue, merely going to larger injectors does not require a different fuel system/pump. The stock fuel pump is good for about 650 hp, maybe a little less sith a sc car.

The biggest issue is how you are going to tell the PCM that the new injectors they flow differently then the stock injectors. At a minimum this will reqire the VEC2. If you stick with the oem style (side feed) injectors it is simple and the only issue is the need for the Vec2.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just to dlarify one issue, merely going to larger injectors does not require a different fuel system/pump. The stock fuel pump is good for about 650 hp, maybe a little less sith a sc car.

The biggest issue is how you are going to tell the PCM that the new injectors they flow differently then the stock injectors. At a minimum this will reqire the VEC2. If you stick with the oem style (side feed) injectors it is simple and the only issue is the need for the Vec2.

One way is to run a FMU if you have a forced induction system...but for heads and cams....yeah...aftermarket computer is a must.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One way is to run a FMU if you have a forced induction system

But you have to go to a return type system to use a FMU don't you? And if you're going to do that you might as well upgrade the whole system.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
nope you don't have to run a return line to do the fmu...if you look at the paxon kits...how they plumb it..it can be done.