Fuel System Upgrade

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone make a full on Fuel system upgrade for the Gen3? Not the GenIV deal but moving to 1/2inch lines with sending unit, pumps regulator Y block etc. Not wanting to re-invent the wheel here but need to upgrade mine for a more powerful N/A engine. RSI has a drop in pump sending Unit with walbro's but I wanted to see if any other vendors out there have a package system also? :cool:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Shandon... call me. You may be spending money you don't have to... and creating problems you don't want.

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon... call me. You may be spending money you don't have to... and creating problems you don't want.

I will.
As im looking at this build and getting quotes, one of the bids that came in strongly suggests a bit more powerful system. So in entertaining this build I need to get some costs.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If its an N/A car, it is highly unlikely it needs it. I deal with N/A cars all day long in the 600-650 RW range on stock Gen-3 fuel systems with zero problems, ever. Some places push products you dont need because those are the "cash cow" items. I see it all the time, and usually end up removing them because they cause more problems than they are worth. Fuel systems especially are not as simple to design correctly as everyone seems to think. Not sure what you are looking at, or who, or how much power... but this may be the situation. Aftermarket fuel systems done wrong are an absolute headache.

Last edited:

Matt162

Viper Owner
Reaction score
. Fuel systems especially are not as simple to design correctly as everyone seems to think. Not sure what you are looking at, or who, or how much power... but this may be the situation.

This couldnt be any more true lol....Shandon, I would definetly give Mr. Lesser a call....and have a pen and paper ready...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This couldnt be any more true lol....Shandon, I would definetly give Mr. Lesser a call....and have a pen and paper ready...

I second that. Two poorly designed custom "upgraded fuel systems" cost me two engine rebuilds when the engines detonated during races.

CALL Dan.

Dan

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I second that. Two poorly designed custom "upgraded fuel systems" cost me two engine rebuilds when the engines detonated during races.

CALL Dan.

Dan

Thanks guys. I can't relay enough how many of the aftermarket fuel systems out there are fundamentally flawed by design, and create nothing but potential problems. The fact is, it costs many thousands of dollars and a lot of work to properly design a fuel system that is safe in all instances. Virtually nobody goes through the hassle, as it is a very difficult process to both sell, and market in any fashion. The "simple" routes are often taken because they are easy to market, and the results can be quite dangerous for your engine in the long run. A fuel system without an active dual-stage surge canister will have unreliable fueling, and a standard return style fuel system on a Viper is begging for 150* fuel temperatures, vapor lock, and fuel boiling in the tank making fueling again unreliable at lower levels. Contrary to popular practice, you cant just replace the OEM pump with an aftermarket pump or two [ignoring the fuel line size issue as well] and still retain surge canister function, as all aftermarket drop-in pumps are single stage, not dual. Also on the same topic, you cant drop pumps in without a surge canister at all, and expect reliable fueling. Just because you may not have a frequent total loss of pressure, does not mean you aren't pumping air through your injectors on a regular basis at lower levels. The Viper, particularly the SRT, has a relatively flat and wide fuel tank--- just about the worst combinatoin for a surge-less pump system.

All that being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OEM fuel system provided it has adequate flow for your application... and I have yet to see any N/A car make more power than the OE fuel system can handle with the correct injectors for the application. It is one thing to put in a "standard" fuel system that has some negatives because you absolutely need the flow, and are not willing to shell out big bucks for a complete revision... but to put one in when you don't actually need it is literally paying extra money to gain a list of problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great information guys (thanks Dan)!! With whatever build I choose to go with, this will be for race application only. No street and show shine. Going to be running in TTU. So im trying to get as educatied on this as possible and im only getting bids from high end shops like VSP, Aarow racing etc. Reliability is of utmost concern and I don't want to dick around with the fuel system if its unnecessary, nor do I want to blow up an engine because it got too lean. Thus far im in the research stage and pulling the engine out in October for her "MidLife Makeover" :D