Garage modified for lift

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got the garage ceiling modified so the Viper can go all the way to the top of the lift. Now my pickup can drive underneath. Don't notice the mess, it was just done minutes before and I didn't have time to cleanup. They boxed the trusses so the windshield, rollbar, and mirrors all go up another 12 inches. The hood has 4-5 inches of clearance with the regular ceiling height with the lift fully extended so no need to modify framing there.
[image]
3925DSCN0979-med.JPG
[/image]
3925DSCN0982-med.JPG

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those pics are great. Only a real car nut would modify the house for the sake of his car. :2tu: I'm the same way! They look great.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's SWEET! How much did it cost you? I was thinking of doing the exact same thing.

Finally got the garage ceiling modified so the Viper can go all the way to the top of the lift. Now my pickup can drive underneath. Don't notice the mess, it was just done minutes before and I didn't have time to cleanup. They boxed the trusses so the windshield, rollbar, and mirrors all go up another 12 inches. The hood has 4-5 inches of clearance with the regular ceiling height with the lift fully extended so no need to modify framing there.
[image]
3925DSCN0979-med.JPG
[/image]
3925DSCN0982-med.JPG

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're a real car guy! Very ingenious. I thought I was the only one that did things like that. I hollowed out a townhouse basement once. How did you get that one by the wife? Most people are insensitive to the difference to a car between indoor and outdoor parking.
In this case, it would be more complicated for me to do the same however, because up here we have to have a couple of feet of pink insulation on the attic floor.

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hired a great local contractor here in Michigan, he knows everything about framing as he builds custom homes. This is totally not a big deal but he said there are some homes with certain framing where this wouldn't be possible. He knew it was OK once he saw things. Mine was fine and it was only $500.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take some pics from above sometime so we can see the woodwork mods.. :)

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE065, Will do, you are here in Michigan...if you need anything done on your home, framing, decks, this guy is awesome. On time, on schedule, on budget, etc. Sorry, not to turn this post into a home building show but people like him are hard to find. Craig

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 9' ceiling in my garage and haven't been able to install a lift and be able to stand under the car to work. I'll have to check this out with my contractor. Hope it doesn't cost more than building a new garage!

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Something like this is exactly what i need to do to my garage.
You long is your garage?....I think my garage door would hit the back of the snake as it rolls up........
I have a "standard" 2-car garage and am trying to figure out a way to fit 3 of my cars inside.
Cheers,

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you thought aout framing up the opening and then putting up sheet rock? Would not be very hard to tim it up and make it look like the garage was designed to be like that. Wifey will be happy too :2tu:

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All framing is different but he modified 3 or 4 trusses, took the ceiling up 15 inches, box framed for future drywall by me, cleaned up, $500.

You need to be creative and get up and look at the framing. If my garage was too short, I could have had the garage door roll up into the attic between two trusses if I had to. It's cheap to modify those tracks that the door rolls up on. The opener is pulling at the bottom, the top is just following the tracks.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure wish I could do that, the only problem is the windshield would be in my bedroom.

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took a few measurements last night. My ceiling is 9'1". With the ceiling modified, the lift goes to its maximum height and there is 4 inches of clearance above the hood.

With a short garage, the garage door would still have enough clearance to go over the rear deck of the Viper and would stop short of the rollbar. A GTS? I don't know.

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the framing. The bottom piece was cut out, replaced by a 2x10 16 inches higher, carries the roof load and the side was additionally braced with sheathing. The ends piece you see is just a 2x4 boxed in for drywall. The 2x10 is above it, wrapped in sheathing.
3925DSCN0984-med.JPG

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Outstanding! I have been thinking the same thing. I can't tell from the picture, was the roof regular joists or was it a truss ceiling? I have a truss roof and am wndering if it will work.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It you have a truss roof GET AN ENGINEER. Trusses are built with smaller lumber and depend on all the horizontal vertical and diagonal loads. They can be cut and modified but you gotta know what you are doing! Not the job for the neighborhood handyman.

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a truss and the guy who did mine builds custom homes and knows everything about this. If you get some yahoo, you could be seeing your roof sag after a few winters. Engineer, good advice.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It you have a truss roof GET AN ENGINEER. Trusses are built with smaller lumber and depend on all the horizontal vertical and diagonal loads. They can be cut and modified but you gotta know what you are doing! Not the job for the neighborhood handyman.

Agreed...modfiying trusses isn't something the average joe should do...I'd want to see exactly how this guy modified your trusses...you'll know if it is done right when you get a few feet of snow during the winter! Like Steve said, trusses sometimes utililze 2x4's. If the span was larger, they use 2x6 trusses.

You may have a problem if and when you go to sell this house when the inspectors come in. Personally, I would sheetrock that hole open if and when you decide to move so as to not arouse ineterest from an inspector. Around here, our township sends their own inspectors through doing a thorough inspection and then an independent inpsector goes through for the buyers.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost did that when I was in Indy; my garage was underneath a loft area. Only difference is I wanted to hoist all the way up so I could detail in the house under good lighting and air conditioning.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I almost did that when I was in Indy; my garage was underneath a loft area. Only difference is I wanted to hoist all the way up so I could detail in the house under good lighting and air conditioning.

That would be cool.....You could have the floor lift up as the car goes up!!!
Cheers,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang