Gear swap gen3

Jlewis468

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interested in swapping stock gear to 355. Anybody have an idea of what estimates I should be getting for this as far as cost? One shop quoted 16 hours . Is there somewhere to buy a center section on the aftermarket because it seems that may pay for it just the savings of labor because I think they only quoted four hours to R&R if I had my own center section

Wanderer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up my 2004 this past week after a 3.55 gear swap. My receipt is in another vehicle at the moment, should have it back Monday. My LSD was chewed up from previous owners, only had it since 11/21, so I had it replaced with a gen 4/5 "Wave-Trac" unit at the time of the gear swap.. The recent is itemized so should prove helpful. Ill message you on Monday.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Pulling the rear end out isn't that bad of a job if you're an okay mechanic. The gen 3 isn't too bad to get apart, worst part of it is usually just getting the axles off the stub shafts. There is a tool for it as well that attaches to a slide hammer. There are only something like 4 bolts holding the whole diff in, though it helps to take at least one corner of the suspension off. I swapped to a gen 4 unit in my gen 3 after I thought it was making some whining noise, but didn't change anything about the gearset while I was there. 4 hours seems a little on the long side to me to just disassemble and reassemble a unit that's already out of a car, but I suppose if you're really taking your time and doing new seals and bearings and all maybe it's not that bad. They probably have a little fudge room in there for when things don't go as smoothly as you would hope (when do they ever?).

OP
OP
J

Jlewis468

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. President I don’t know if I was very clear with my first post
16hrs for gear change
4hrs if I bought A new differential assembly and they just had to unbolt and re-bolt
All help is greatly appreciated

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wow, that seems awfully steep to me, but then again I'm not a professional shop. I feel like personally I could have a diff out, rebuilt, and back in within a day at most, but that's me being familiar with my car.