Gears Change or Keep??

Doubleup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I run multiple AutoX events for fun and find 2nd gear being two tall to get much out of it and 1st is far to short...

I am currently running a Quaife 3.55 with mopar ECU.

I currently have my car apart doing headers and intake however was considering changing to 3.73s while my car is apart.

Is this a mistake to do with the HP mods I am adding? I am feeling the 3.73 gearing would be perfect for my Auto X events...

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chat with Mark Jorgensen as he autocrosses a ton, and has been Nationally Competitive for years. I know he took out his 3.73 gears and I would bet he would say the 3.55s are fine.

His cell is 402-677-5864 or try his email ( [email protected] ), but we have known each other for 25 years ( we met at SCCA Solo II events ) and though I ended up going road racing, he has been autocrossing that entire time.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would keep the 3.55 and see how it works with the mods. I ran both love the 3.73 at the botom but, they run hotter and shorter between gears. If I was going to track it I would add a cooler. I run 3.55 Giken diff now and I love how well it performs. I guess it depends on the year also. Mine being an 04. I really can't speak for the later models.

Reaction score
With my 08' I tried the 3.73 and although "fun" it was very hard to be smooth for me at the limit and in the upper RPM with 690hp. I have the 3.07 back in so I can run in ASP instead of SSM (what you will run if you change gears at all), I think it seems slower but more controllable so it is faster all around. if you don't care about the class the 3.55 would be best, 3.73 for 500 or less hp would probably work and give you top of second speeds of 75, perfect for autocross.